just how many people realy like the hd-590's?
Mar 21, 2002 at 9:31 PM Post #16 of 129
Yeah, really. The HD 590s are really good. Now that I've returned the HD 600s, I've been using them again, and I like them better, both comfort and soundwise. Comfort on the HD 590s is superior, IMO. As for sound, the HD 600s are flat and smooth sounding. But the HD 590s are much more exciting to listen to. The music feels more alive, somehow....
(please note, I'm NOT saying the HD 590s are better than 600s
smily_headphones1.gif
)

Mar 21, 2002 at 9:36 PM Post #17 of 129
All the outpouring of love for the 590s have persuaded me to order a pair from eBay for a mere $150. If you guys have misled me, I will post many unsmiley faces in future posts...These will by my 12th pair of headphones. May the good Lord have mercy upon my soul; or at least my bankbook!

biggrin.gif

Mar 21, 2002 at 9:41 PM Post #18 of 129
I absolutely agree with you Keiso! Altough the HD600s are better for building a reference listening rig, the HD590s are definitely more lively, and IMHO, has this magical energy which the 580s/600s lack (Could it be the brightness??
very_evil_smiley.gif
)

I also felt the 590s are GREAT for dance music.. the wide soundstage combined with the beautiful treble+bass performance really brings electronic music to life.

Since I'm curious abou the Sony V6, could anyone comment on how the 590s matches up against it for stuff like trance and house?

Mar 21, 2002 at 9:43 PM Post #19 of 129
The 590 smokes the V6 in everything. Don't even think in the V6's direction. Don't say I didn't warn you.
very_evil_smiley.gif

Mar 21, 2002 at 10:31 PM Post #20 of 129
Quote:

Originally posted by Vertigo-1
The 590 smokes the V6 in everything. Don't even think in the V6's direction. Don't say I didn't warn you.
very_evil_smiley.gif

Vertigo-1, I own both the 590 and the V6... and I find myself in the 590 much more.
smily_headphones1.gif
It's been a long time since the notorious W08 vs. A44 debate...
wink.gif

Mar 21, 2002 at 10:37 PM Post #21 of 129
Quote:

Originally posted by delenda est Sony
All the outpouring of love for the 590s have persuaded me to order a pair from eBay for a mere $150. If you guys have misled me, I will post many unsmiley faces in future posts...These will by my 12th pair of headphones. May the good Lord have mercy upon my soul; or at least my bankbook!

biggrin.gif

Hmm... $150 for 590s seems like a very good deal to me
smily_headphones1.gif

Judging by the list of your current cans, I think you will be very pleased by the HD 590. Then you can sell those Grado cans which I consider as crap (IMO!)

By the way, I think Lord already gave you mercy on this one. $150 for the quality of 590? What more do you ask from the Lord?
smily_headphones1.gif

Mar 21, 2002 at 10:43 PM Post #22 of 129
Hmm.... I wonder how the Sony MDR-CD3000 compares to the HD 590s....

Wish I could try them somewhere, but it seems hard to find a shop who got them on display. Only chain stores sell Sony cans here in Norway, and the CD3000 is too pricey for chain stores to carry.

And if I go to high-end audioshops, they only carry Grados, Senns, Beyers, Staxs....

Damn it, I NEED to go back to Japan soon, where I can find all the cans I want! Maybe I can even find the R-10s cheap there... (not very likely
smily_headphones1.gif
)

Kono kusokuni ga DAIKIRAI!!!!

Mar 21, 2002 at 11:10 PM Post #23 of 129
Quote:

Hmm.... I wonder how the Sony MDR-CD3000 compares to the HD 590s....

They're actually very similar, except the 590s have more midrange presence, and a smoother midrange. The CD3000's sound as if their midrange has been scooped out compared to Sennheisers...which isn't surprising since I believe they were originally marketed as studio headphones, and all studio headphones tend to sound rather cold and analytical.

The bass on the CD3000's doesn't go as deep as the 590s, that's for sure. It terminates higher up, so you get more lower midbass than genunie low bass on the CD3000s.

Mar 21, 2002 at 11:39 PM Post #25 of 129
Vertigo, arigatou!

Phew, thank god I didn't buy the CD-3000 last month then. It's 3 times as expensive as HD 590
smily_headphones1.gif

I was kinda tempted, when I saw the nice box it came with.
Then again, I can always buy something from Ikea and make one myself for my beloved HD 590s
smily_headphones1.gif

Tomorrow is the day. First exam in nutrition and food metabolism, then it's straight to the Hi-Fi shop to audition the Staxs again. Hopefully, I will carry home a set of 3030! Yay!
smily_headphones1.gif

(can't hear any cheering from my wallet.....)
confused.gif

Mar 22, 2002 at 2:02 AM Post #26 of 129
I'm going soon to audition some higher end headphones at my local HI-FI shop (HD-590, HD-600, Grado SR60 through 325 and Stax)
However, when I called the shop, they said they only had a Grado headphone amp (not sure which one, I forgot to ask) to drive their phones with for those who wished to demo before buying (like who wouldn't?) - except for Staxes which probably have their own anyway. Do you think that it will be an amp that will be good enough to demonstrate how these phones (that I previously listed) can perform?

Mar 22, 2002 at 10:42 PM Post #28 of 129
Yes Tom, one more. I have not heard the 580's or the 600's but I will tell you that the 590's are very fullfilling for two reasons. First, they are very cumfy, I can wear these things for hours w/out fatigue. They don't have that headphone feel to them, very open like (dare I say it) a great pair of speakers. Second, the sound. Not sure how to describe it but they sound like the whole room is filled with the sound not just the cans.

The sound is very open and you can still hear everything going on around you. I just procreated and find it valuable to listen to music/tv at a decent volume while still being able to hear the offspring.

These will not offer "eye blinking impact". I also paid 150.00 usd for mine and I am very pleased with them.

One more thing that I found important, I am clumsy. I have a habit of stepping or leaning on the cord when getting up or moving around. With the miniplug that terminates at the headphone end, you don't weaken the connection the plug just pops out when pulled on.

Mar 22, 2002 at 11:39 PM Post #29 of 129
Quote:

Originally posted by Keiso
Vertigo, arigatou!

Phew, thank god I didn't buy the CD-3000 last month then. It's 3 times as expensive as HD 590
smily_headphones1.gif

I was kinda tempted, when I saw the nice box it came with.
Then again, I can always buy something from Ikea and make one myself for my beloved HD 590s
smily_headphones1.gif

IHMO, they are worth it (I own both, and definitely find the 3k superior). Well, perhaps not 3 times, but the 3k are worth twice the money, in my opinion.

I get a sense of wideness and space with the 3k that I didn't really get (not to such extent that is) with the HD 590. They are more.. hmm... holographic and envolving. This is probably because of the huge earcups.
Sound a bit more detailed too.

But the 590 are very, very good too!

Mar 22, 2002 at 11:41 PM Post #30 of 129
Quote:

Originally posted by r4z0r
Thanks for the tips, looks like I will have to look elsewhere for a pair of closed cans that can rival my HD-590s.. Any suggestions?

CD3k. They are closed. (Not sure sure if I'd call the sound truly "closed" sounding tho.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back