Just here for a simple amp question for SE846's for PC!
Jul 17, 2022 at 6:55 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

criptich

New Head-Fier
I currently have a pair of Se846's and se215's. I dont want to use them outside of my windows PC. I use them for music and gaming and zoom calls. I want to amplify their sound/use them properly and am looking for a DAC+amp that just simply works for PC without issues. I have a magni 3 amp currently and tried ways of plugging my iem's into that but it has a 'ground loop' crackle feedback with the sound. I have also found upon research that there is interference or problems with USB specific headphone amp/dac's and more specifically sometimes with Shure's.

I'm not sure what to even go with or 'try' to improve these without adding on a side effect of crackling or buzzing or humming. When I operate them without an amp and simply just plugged into a Razer usb Sound card, they sound fantastic, and comes with a very very very low buzz thats not audible when any sounds are playing.

Jul 17, 2022 at 7:04 PM Post #2 of 8
Schiit Fulla E. I use it daily for hours at a time via USB with a PC (running Trisquel) without issues, crackling, buzzing or otherwise. The Schiit web site may indicate what, if anything, is needed for Windows or if it's plug and play. I'm not familiar with your headphones.

https://www.schiit.com/products/fulla-2

The Hel 2E might also be a good fit.

Last edited:
Jul 17, 2022 at 7:38 PM Post #3 of 8
The Shures are very low impedance . Unlike some IEMs and a lot of full-sized headphones they don't need much power, so an amp may well be overkill.

Have you switched the output switch on the Magni (in the middle of the back) to LO?

If that's still too much or creating noise, then feel free to skip the amp entirely.

The buzz from your PC's sound output, if it really bothers you, can be bypassed with an external DAC. The Fulla recommended above is a DAC/Amp combo.

Schiit also makes the Modi DAC for desktop use, and there are a lot of under-$100 DACs out there that you can investigate. TempoTec Sonata, iFi, Dragonfly, iBasso and FiiO, for instance, keep coming up with new DACs that are generally well-received.

You could look in the Source Components forum to check out DACs --
https://www.head-fi.org/forums/dedicated-source-components.7/
-- but don't think that you have to make some huge investment.
https://www.head-fi.org/threads/can-you-hear-a-difference-between-dacs.963072/page-2#post-16951697

If your PC has a USB-C port or you have a USB-C to USB adapter, you might even be able to use Apple's $9 DAC dongle -- it has a DAC chip built in -- which has been measured as providing low-distortion sound.
https://www.apple.com/shop/product/MU7E2AM/A/usb-c-to-35-mm-headphone-jack-adapter

The point of the DAC is to get the digits processed through something better than your computer soundcard that's also separate from the computer's other (possibly buzzing) circuitry. You don't need a lot of bells and whistles for that.
https://www.audiosciencereview.com/...-dac-if-you-have-an-apple-usb-c-dongle.25276/

Last edited:
Jul 17, 2022 at 8:16 PM Post #4 of 8
I did try both hi and lo setting on the magni and it resulted in the same but with less volume between the two. even when lowering the noise the crackle and issues still occured. Thanks yall, I think I'm going to go with the Fulla/hel 2e and see what I get as a result. Do I run these on their own with my iems? Such as plug the fulla/hel directly into a headphone port/usb port on my PC then plug in my iems into the DAC? I also have audioquest RCA to 3.5mm cables as well.

I'd also like to ask/mention I purchased new MMCX cables, which I imagine wont make much of a difference other than my preference and desires, but they seem to not fit into the MMCX connection spot on either pair of my Shure's at all. I purchased the Fiio LC-RD cable and it just wouldn't seem to fit with the same amount of force as stock cables. Any suggestions here in place of the Fiio LC-RD and why I would be experiencing it not fitting?

I have also looked into 'external' sound cards/the stuff like the dragonfly cobalt USB plug ins and wondered if something like that would also provide my iems 'proper' sound in place of an amp/dac/nothing.

Last edited:
Jul 17, 2022 at 8:58 PM Post #5 of 8
I had the Shure SE535 and those MMCX connections were standard. I don't know about the SE846. Sometimes the first MMCX connection with a new cord is a little tight -- but for something as $$$ as the SE846, I wouldn't want to force anything.

There is a long thread on the SE846 with a lot of opinions, but many agree that too much amping makes things worse.

Look at this post and the ones around it.
https://www.head-fi.org/threads/shure-se846-impressions-thread.675219/page-1381#post-15599660

A sound card is a DAC, same thing. DAC is a digital analog converter. It's converting the numbers in the your music files into analog signals. Either you use the one in the computer, which might be picking up interference, or an external one.

Jul 17, 2022 at 11:18 PM Post #6 of 8
I had the Shure SE535 and those MMCX connections were standard. I don't know about the SE846. Sometimes the first MMCX connection with a new cord is a little tight -- but for something as $$$ as the SE846, I wouldn't want to force anything.

There is a long thread on the SE846 with a lot of opinions, but many agree that too much amping makes things worse.

Look at this post and the ones around it.
https://www.head-fi.org/threads/shure-se846-impressions-thread.675219/page-1381#post-15599660

A sound card is a DAC, same thing. DAC is a digital analog converter. It's converting the numbers in the your music files into analog signals. Either you use the one in the computer, which might be picking up interference, or an external one.
I read around and have learned a bit more now from those threads! Yeah I definitely found the connections for the Fiio cable to be tight but it looks identical to the stock cords which confuses me as to why it won't go into either iems. With this being the case would it be safe to assume the cables are defective/pins too large and to return and replace them with the same ones? I do not know what other cable to get as an 'upgrade' in quality of sound/being balanced to the stock cables.

I'm clearly not very experienced in this area haha.. But yeah I'm not looking to necessarily amp it up too much but I do want my iems running in the direction of their potential and should I upgrade to something new in the future. Also don't have much of a sound card or anything outside of the base mobo and was wanting to run my iems from my computer with something better than just standard. Would prefer to do something more than an apple dongle if possible such as the Fulla E, as it seems to allow me to set it nearly as low or quiet as the apple dongle might be.
Will probably try the Fulla E/dragonfly cobalt/apple dongle first + a few others to see what I like

Speaking of sound cards, would a sound card such as a PCIE sound card ever be useful for both gaming and general audio from my computer for iems? I've read to steer clear of them though.

Jul 18, 2022 at 2:11 AM Post #7 of 8
The Shures are very low impedance . Unlike some IEMs and a lot of full-sized headphones they don't need much power, so an amp may well be overkill.

Will just clarify this with details so people don't keep repeating this without a better understanding of the bigger picture. Low impedance does not automatically guarantee that there is no need for a purpose-built amplifier, sensitivity at the operating distance (ie speakers are measured at 1m standard and used from much farther than that in most cases; headphones at a few inches; etc) does.

Low impedance, high sensitivity loads may not need a lot of power, but the combination of those two can mean lesser amplification circuits will have a problem. "Lesser" doesn't always mean "less power" either. It just means maybe it gets more power at the cost of noise, just that in some cases if you actually need power, chances are you might not hear the noise to begin with. Case in point: many speaker amps actually have a lot more noise than headphone amps (or the same amps when hooking up a 300ohm load into their headphone outputs), which you can hear if you pause the music and then stand near the speakers. Technically, the noise is still there interfering with the overall sound (ie a "blacker background" doesn't just mean more noise, it can seem to have "more bass;" this is why in some cases more power can sound leaner instead of getting low end oomph), but you no longer hear the noise as a distinct sound when you're sitting 2m away.

If anything, in some cases not requiring a separate amp tends to mean whatever you have has very low noise. Like an iPod. Or some DAPs, whether it's the older circuits that are like portable amps or the newer ones with higher power, low noise chips that apart from being better are otherwise similar to what you'd find in most smartphones (at least before they started getting rid of the 3.5mm jack).

I currently have a pair of Se846's and se215's. I dont want to use them outside of my windows PC. I use them for music and gaming and zoom calls. I want to amplify their sound/use them properly and am looking for a DAC+amp that just simply works for PC without issues. I have a magni 3 amp currently and tried ways of plugging my iem's into that but it has a 'ground loop' crackle feedback with the sound.

Ground loop wouldn't automatically go away using USB. If anything, maybe some USB devices and AC devices can get rid of it, but there's not enough guarantee for me to say you should go buy any of these.

I have also found upon research that there is interference or problems with USB specific headphone amp/dac's and more specifically sometimes with Shure's.

I'm not sure what to even go with or 'try' to improve these without adding on a side effect of crackling or buzzing or humming. When I operate them without an amp and simply just plugged into a Razer usb Sound card, they sound fantastic, and comes with a very very very low buzz thats not audible when any sounds are playing.

USB having issues with Shure is not always necessarily due to USB. It can, of course, if there's noise going through the USB port then gets to the DAC and eventually, to the amp, similar to a ground loop problem. However if it has to do with Shure it usually has more to do with the amplifier circuit being designed to produce more power at the expense of some noise. Shures are very low impedance and very high sensitivity, which means it can make amps produce noise or makes noise far more apparent than if you were using that amp to drive a very high impedance load or lower sensitivity load (more so when they're designed for headphones that actually need the power for the aforementioned reason).

Think of it this way: NVidia can tell you you only need 225watts to run that graphics chip at its advertised clock speed, and gaming can make graphics chips run at lower clocks vs some stress tests (assuming you have enough cooling) due to the variable load, but you still have your computer shutting down because you're tripping OPP and OCP on the power supply thanks to how that particular chip in that particular board pulls 200% more power for a few microseconds (enough to trip protection on the

It's hard to tell what will sound cleaner than that more so if you get something that's designed to drive something that has much lower sensitivity as well as much higher impedance.

A lower power DAP (lower power vs older DAPs, but more power than your average consumer device despite using a similar type of circuit ie an integrated audio chip) might be safe, but since you're likely to hook it up via USB, then there's still a good chance of the ground loop being a problem. Maybe if your motherboard has built in BT (not a dongle on the USB, although you could try that too if you're up to it) you could transmit to the DAP using that.

Aug 3, 2022 at 11:17 PM Post #8 of 8
Thanks yall for the help! I ended up using and learning a lot from what yall've given me and what yall were thinking when helping me!

I purchased a Fiio K3 in conclusion to this and plugged it into my pc then plugged an Audioquest cable into my Schiit Magni from the Fiio K3 then purchased Fiio's LC-RC mmcx cable on amazon. I have zero noise and zero problems now, it sounds wonderful for both video games and music.

I use High Gain mode on the Fiio K3 and it seems the Se846's just come alive vividly and beautifully with it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back