Just Had my Ears Irrigated - What a Difference
Feb 4, 2006 at 6:02 PM Post #46 of 53
I have that procedure done about once a year, as my ears will clog down completely otherwise. Switching to IEMs seems to have increased my wax production, unfortunately.

As far as I know there is a slight danger that the flushing damages the eardrums. My doctor checks their integrity afterwards with some humming measuring tool.

Usually I notice a tremendous difference initially after the cleaning. For example, the moving fabric of the jacket on my shoulder seems to be very loud the first day - something I barely hear at all normally. This effect dies down after a day or so.

Björn

Feb 4, 2006 at 6:38 PM Post #47 of 53
Quote:

Originally Posted by donunus
Almost everytime I swim and go at least around 10 ft underwater, my earwax spits out....hehehe. Is this basically the same thing as blasting your ears? The pool gets my ears deaf and clogged for a few days though unless I go and do a one week swimming streak then the deafness goes away and the ears get used to the pressure. Or maybe it was just the wax
confused.gif
icon10.gif

Now I see why people have their own private pools
tongue.gif

Feb 5, 2006 at 12:48 AM Post #49 of 53
I must be pretty lucky because I've never had junk in my ear. Maybe it's because I use q-tips and actually clean in there. I also haven't been babied with ear plugs and all sorts of nonsense like "never stick anything in there". It's your friggin ear. A little warm water and some poking with your finger shouldn't cripple you.
icon10.gif

Feb 5, 2006 at 4:25 PM Post #50 of 53
Quote:

Originally Posted by Naris
So... to get this done you all just go to an audiologist with an appointment, or a regular clinic? Just curious, as it sounds like something I'd like done.

Everyone's health care setup is a bit different. I went to my regular doctor, who then set up a separate appointment with a medical tech for the irrigation. If I had gone to the doctor JUST about my ears this would have all cost me $20, a $10 copay for each visit. But the "diagnosis" was done while I was seeing him about a different issue, so I got a "twofer."

You should go whatever route will cost you the least, in terms of your health coverage. I'm guessing that it's not necessary to go to an audiologist for this.

Mar 11, 2006 at 12:51 AM Post #51 of 53
My tinnitus has gotten worse since I stared wearing IEMs late last year. Has anyone found that irrigation helps to reduce the ringing?

Mar 11, 2006 at 2:31 AM Post #52 of 53
On one of my doctor's visits, for whatever reason, i wasn't listening to the assistant who was asking me questions. She thought I had hearing problems or something, tested my hearing a bit, and gave me an ear irrigation kinda randomly
confused.gif
. All it is seems to be that they pour alcohol into your ear, it bubbles in your ear for like 15 minutes, and it comes out feeling really clean. I didn't notice any sound difference though. But then again, I didn't have my E4s back then to test--

Mar 11, 2006 at 3:01 AM Post #53 of 53
Quote:

Originally Posted by threepointone
On one of my doctor's visits, for whatever reason, i wasn't listening to the assistant who was asking me questions. She thought I had hearing problems or something, tested my hearing a bit, and gave me an ear irrigation kinda randomly
confused.gif
. All it is seems to be that they pour alcohol into your ear, it bubbles in your ear for like 15 minutes, and it comes out feeling really clean. I didn't notice any sound difference though. But then again, I didn't have my E4s back then to test--

I wouldn't say they used alcohol. You sure they used that? Maybe Hydrogen Peroxide.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back