Just got Thorens TD 166, but I think there is something wrong with it
Jul 14, 2004 at 10:14 PM Post #16 of 21
Quote:

Originally Posted by donovansmith
And how much is a Thorens TD 166 Mk II with a TP21 tonearm worth in rather worn condition without any extra parts and in need of a new weight and string and in need of a speed adjustment (seems to be non-trivial on this table)? I'm listening to the table and it seems to sound pretty good despite the issues it has. I probably won't be able to send it out until tomorrow anyway, so I might as well look into alternatives.

I paid mine 40$, without cartridge, needs a paint job on the wood plint and the dust cover is badly scratched. But it's 100% working.

Jul 14, 2004 at 10:15 PM Post #17 of 21
the antiskate mechanism is nothing more than what you described.

the higher pitch could be due to a defective belt or motor.

try another belt. if the problem persists it could be the motor.

that was the case with my TD-150. And to replace with a new one it will cost as much as you bought your TT.

I would just return it and aim for a

TD-150 or
a TD-125 MKII with a stroboscope.

These two Thorens TTs have the old not so torquey but quietter Swiss motor. I have heard both tables and I can suggest both of them as superior Thorens models.

Return it and try to get one of the above models. Btw the TD-150 is like a small Linn LP12. Its the table Linn copied actually.

I am currently looking for a motor for it. I missed one on ebay a few weeks ago!

Jul 14, 2004 at 10:31 PM Post #18 of 21
I'll be sending the table back tommorrow.

I wonder if I should even try to get another turntable through a place like Ebay or Audiogon since it does carry quite a lot of risk and I've had two so far that haven't worked out. I guess I should just try to save up for a new turntable with a warranty from a dealer like Todd the Vinyl Junkie or Audio Advisor. It'd be a lot more expensive, but then again the route I'm going now is costing lots of money too. I just wouldn't be able to afford even an entry-level table like the Music Hall MMF-2.1 until either late this year or early next year, so I'll have some vinyl sitting around for quite a while waiting to be played.

Jul 18, 2004 at 6:00 AM Post #19 of 21
I sold these back in the day:
1.) The anti-skate was pretty much as you describe it - you moved the monofilament to different notches to acheive differing amounts of anti-skate.If memory serves - they diid have a heavier weight that was only used at something like 3 grams tracking force. Frankly the anti-skate on most tonearms in this era was by guess and by gosh - the only real way to even get it close was to use the blank or groveless area on a test disc and set it up to not move in or out on this area of the test record.
2.) Used to get a fair number of GI's coming back with these from Germany - is there any chance your's has a 50Hz motor in it? These will run fast on our 60Hz AC line.

Jul 18, 2004 at 11:11 AM Post #20 of 21
Quote:

Originally Posted by audiopile
I sold these back in the day:
2.) Used to get a fair number of GI's coming back with these from Germany - is there any chance your's has a 50Hz motor in it? These will run fast on our 60Hz AC line.

I already thought about that possibility - but if that was the case, the synchroneus motor should be off by 20 %, shouldn't it?

Greetings from Hannover!

Manfred / lini

Jul 18, 2004 at 12:43 PM Post #21 of 21
I also thought about this possibility and noticed that the speed was only 10 percent up instead of 20. But I forgot that is was powered by 120V instead of 220 and that could make the motor too weak. Or the belt was really worn out.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back