Just got the Skullcandy 2xl Shakedown in the mail today.
Aug 11, 2011 at 7:06 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

KTrain

New Head-Fier
shakedown_white_main.jpg

I bought it direct from the store through Ebay for $7.99

I was pretty surprised to see a 3.5 jack on it (I can now play my Bass without disturbing anyone lol)

So far I tested it out on Tedashii "He Lives", it sounds very damp, everything sounds pretty muddled. Right now I'm burning it in on some Pink Noise to see if it can open up more.

I'll let the results of the burn in be known inside of this thread later on, and give my final analysis on these headphones.

Aug 11, 2011 at 7:39 PM Post #5 of 10
Heya,

Don't waste time burning them in. Just listen to them. And do a thorough review, nothing less. Who cares if they were $8. They might actually sound good. Or they might not. If they sound congested and damp now, they likely always will. Amplify them. See what happens. Just don't expect much.

For a minute I thought it was April.

Very best,

Aug 11, 2011 at 7:44 PM Post #6 of 10

Quote:
Heya,

Don't waste time burning them in. Just listen to them. And do a thorough review, nothing less. Who cares if they were $8. They might actually sound good. Or they might not. If they sound congested and damp now, they likely always will. Amplify them. See what happens. Just don't expect much.

Agreed.  You really can't expect much for ~10 dollars, but a comparo in the price range sounds about right...

Aug 12, 2011 at 11:48 AM Post #8 of 10
Geesh...you'd think that in this day headphone manufacturers would use a raw a driver that performs well in their product.

The market is so crowded theres really no room for sub standard.

But i guess until the average comsumer demands better performance there will always be crap put on the market..

Look at a bud like JVC HAFX34.....AMAZING !!! I smile every time I listen to them.

What could the price difference be between an average driver that Skullcandy uses and even highly regarded drivers in top class iems be? $.75 difference? $1? I mean we're not talking about a 6.5" woofer with several moving parts....it's a little metal dome.

Aug 12, 2011 at 12:27 PM Post #9 of 10
I just saw someone wearing a Golden SkullCandy Rasta

Lol.

Pimpin'

Anyways, most of the cost of the product isn't on the manufacturing process. It is the RnD process.
And no matter how small the material, it's not as simple as plucking this driver and putting it into this other housing.
Lots of other stuff to be considered, though I'm not sure what. 

Aug 12, 2011 at 12:44 PM Post #10 of 10
Welcome to the forums, dude! You're starting at a good point because upgrades aren't too expensive for you yet and you're likely to enjoy a really good price/performance ratio! I encourage writing a review of even headphones that have been exhaustively reviewed because it will help you learn what the different qualities of speakers and headphones sound like, and maybe even how important your own hearing is.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back