Just got the Shure SE530's...and cannot for the life of me get the medium tips off
Jan 29, 2009 at 10:26 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 27

Crackerman

100+ Head-Fier
They seem to be super-glued on there. I was going to try the different tips to see how the sound is affected, but no amount of twisting can get these damn tips off. I don't want to twist and pull too hard for fear or breaking the nozzle but I've tried everything bar tearing them off with my teeth.

Help?

Jan 29, 2009 at 10:36 PM Post #2 of 27
Quote:

Originally Posted by Crackerman /img/forum/go_quote.gif
They seem to be super-glued on there. I was going to try the different tips to see how the sound is affected, but no amount of twisting can get these damn tips off. I don't want to twist and pull too hard for fear or breaking the nozzle but I've tried everything bar tearing them off with my teeth.

Help?

I had to rip them off with my teeth but that resulted in the foam tips being destroyed. I've heard putting the earphones in the freezer for 30 minutes would make removing the foam tips easier.

Jan 29, 2009 at 10:45 PM Post #3 of 27
I managed to get the mediums off with pliers (!) but they are totally ruined now. I can put the other foam tips on there, but the silicone tips are virtually impossible to get on no matter what the size. Do I really deserve this after spending over £200 on them?

edit: I think I'm vastly preferring my triple.fi's. I'm glad I didn't sell them first

Jan 29, 2009 at 11:16 PM Post #4 of 27
the medium tips u get are fitted on there to protect the nozzle during shipment. Assuming its been a rather cold winter, the silicone shrunk causing it to stick onto the tip. The best way to get them off is to hold the tip and try to warm it up using the heat from your hands to expand them. Then slowly twist them clockwise and counter clockwise untill you can remove them. You just have to do it slowly. All I know is I got my pair during the summer and I was able to twist them off with some but not a lot of effort. My friend's replacement came this week and his was basically superglued on the nozzle. So I heated it and slowly twisted it off. Just be patient.

Jan 29, 2009 at 11:20 PM Post #5 of 27
I got them off eventually. I'm not impressed by them so far though. Even with a perfect seal it feels like every frequency has way too much emphasis, like the music is right up in my face and really lacking soundstage. I think I may stick to the TF10s.

Jan 29, 2009 at 11:24 PM Post #6 of 27
Quote:

I got them off eventually. I'm not impressed by them so far though. Even with a perfect seal it feels like every frequency has way too much emphasis, like the music is right up in my face and really lacking soundstage. I think I may stick to the TF10s.

I nearly destroyed one set of mediums when I first got them. I now work them off with my thumbnail - I get inbetween the body of the IEM, and the plastic ring of the foam tip, and start to push it off. I then turn the body, and push on the opposite side of the shaft. It takes me 2-3 minutes to get a single tip off, but I can do it without damaging the tip at all...just takes time. If you don't understand what I mean, I'll take pictures and upload tonight.

Jan 29, 2009 at 11:59 PM Post #7 of 27
Quote:

Ummm..you can fix this by slowly pulling the earphones out of your ears. It makes the distance the drivers are to your eardrums a bit further increasing sound stage. It works for me.

Jan 30, 2009 at 3:45 AM Post #10 of 27
One of the default tips came off fine.

The other I twisted, pulled, twisted, pulled, twisted, pulled, twisted, pulled, twisted, pulled, twisted, pulled, pried, sighed, twisted, pulled, swore, twisted, pulled, and eventually it came off. The foam first then the little tube. Very frustrating.

I think Shure should ship the SE530's without any tips pre-installed.

Feb 1, 2009 at 4:28 AM Post #11 of 27
Lol, I usually heat the tip with a hairdryer then pull them off.
biggrin.gif

Feb 1, 2009 at 10:44 AM Post #14 of 27
some guy on the assembly line probably lines it with glue before putting the tips on for a laugh ahah

Feb 1, 2009 at 12:18 PM Post #15 of 27
it takes some great dexterity.

yesterday someone challenged me that Comply tips cant be taken off without destroying and they take lot of time to take off.

i just twisted them clockwise a little..and twisted them back anti-clockwise and gave a slight pluck from one side with forefinger to loosen them a little

and voila!

with a simple pull they came off unharmed and in re-usable condition.

just sharing my experience...

maybe i found it easy coz IE-7 have big nozzle..so they can take more abuse.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back