Just got the Shure se425 and very dissappointed - no bass at all...
Jan 2, 2013 at 4:45 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 17

dubstepnext

New Head-Fier
After much deliberation ive decided to buy the shure 425. I asked the online seller whether there is a significant in the sound quality in comparison to the 535- he responded that in his opinion they're almost the same. He said the difference between the 325 to the 425 was much more significant....
He "forgot" to tell me the 535 have 3 sound drives (hence the number5-3-5) while the 425 has only two- meaning it lacks bass... Does anyone share my opinion?
I can't return it... So bummed.
Was waiting for months.
Thoughts anyone?

Jan 2, 2013 at 4:49 PM Post #2 of 17
Quote:
After much deliberation ive decided to buy the shure 425. I asked the online seller whether there is a significant in the sound quality in comparison to the 535- he responded that in his opinion they're almost the same. He said the difference between the 325 to the 425 was much more significant....
He "forgot" to tell me the 535 have 3 sound drives (hence the number5-3-5) while the 425 has only two- meaning it lacks bass... Does anyone share my opinion?
I can't return it... So bummed.
Was waiting for months.
Thoughts anyone?

The 425's actually have about 4-5dB more bass than flat. Keep them and see if you get used to them. It can take a while to adjust, but this is how hi-fi sounds. You should notice more detail and less bloat and boom in the bass. Make sure you have a deep and very secure seal. Come back after 30 hours of listening and share your opinion.

Jan 2, 2013 at 5:12 PM Post #3 of 17
Thanks, I will although the bass is substantially lacking...hope it might improve.
Do you have an idea for more bassy iem? (not the ie8)
Thanks

Jan 12, 2013 at 4:02 PM Post #6 of 17
Just to let you guys know I was able to upgrade to the 535- the difference is amazing!!!
Do you guys think the replacement cables are better than the original?

Jan 12, 2013 at 7:00 PM Post #7 of 17
Head-fi is divided between two camps. One camp believes in the difference that cables can bring, the other camp believes it is all snake oil.

It is important to note that although the SE535 has three drivers, it is a two-way system (2 drivers for lows, 1 for mids/highs) not a true three-way system (low/mid/high).

Shure IEMs are notorious for a sound signature that is composed of an excellent midrange, somewhat tamed highs, and a weak/less impactful bass.

Jan 12, 2013 at 10:43 PM Post #8 of 17
If you read these forums at all, you can't actually say you expected bass from those.

Grats on the 535, if you have money to blow, go for the cables, but I wouldn't expect too much.

Jan 13, 2013 at 8:34 AM Post #9 of 17
The Shure SE425 have very fine bass, but getting a good seal is paramount. If you're getting weak bass, it means that you're not getting a good seal. You should try all the available tips until you find a pair that works.

I like the yellow foam tips for instance, they're very comfortable, but they're too small for me and thus the bass is severely lacking with those. The triple flange tips offer the best seal and the biggest bass for me, but I find that they muffle the mids and highs (YMMV). For now, I've settled with the default medium black foam tips: the seal is pretty good, there's good bass and the overall sound quality is excellent. Again, YMMV, try all the tips!

Jan 13, 2013 at 8:44 AM Post #10 of 17
^What he said. Also :
Quote:

Lesser number of drivers doesn't always mean less bass :p

If you previously owned a very bassy IEM, then the SE425 might sound lacking in bass. It might take your ears a while to acclimate to SE425's sound; When your ears are used to it, it's likely that you will find the bass of SE425 is okay. Here's a piece of advice a head-fi vet gave me :

"My best advice is this: stick with an earphone. If after several months or weeks of constant listening you still don't like it, it's not for you. If you listen to it and immediately dislike it, that is your fault." - shigzeo

Jan 20, 2013 at 5:40 PM Post #11 of 17
Dubstepnext: I've owned the 425's for about a year and have been underwhelmed by them. I too find the bass lacking, thus leaving the listening experience without the anticipated "sound-stage", even with a good seal. I've owned the etymotic er6 and er6i for about 5 years. I found them exceptional, but when they failed I decided to check out the Shure. Just yesterday i mailed mine back for repair/replacement to shure... may just sell them since they are giving me a new set.. although im not ready to jump ship im also not sure im ready to jump in again without my swimmies for 535... Wish I could sample them..

So how we're you able to upgrade to the 535's?

Oct 27, 2014 at 3:03 PM Post #12 of 17
You couldn't have said that any better. I listen to mainly old school reggae, with the triple flange the bass is extremely rich and smooth but the already muffled highs and mids are sacrificed even more. The yellow tips and the foam tips are clear but for me non of them provide that good a seal. I would recommend looking at third party tips.

Mar 23, 2016 at 4:55 AM Post #13 of 17
Just felt I had to add to this thread. Got some se425's yesterday & I have to say they sounded like absolute gash to me. Bass reproduction was poor even with a good seal & they sounded a bit well lifeless. None of the amazing detail that people seem to rave about. This was even with a DSD file through a chord mojo & ibasso DX50 as a digital transport. I Have some philips fidelio L2's which sound waaaaaaaaaaaay better. I'm pretty stunned to be honest. I have had shures in  the past which I remember sounding a lot better than these. Plus the right ear plug kept cutting out also. I kind of thought are they a copy or something the sound was so bad. Maybe I have spoilt myself recently by trying out some fidelio x2's & audio technica m50's plus have the L2's currently. I'm just trying to find something that sounds great on the move but has great portability & something for at home which I'm not too bothered about the portability of but great for music & movies. I have some Shure se535's on the way as went for the se425's but then thought I'll go for the higher model. The 425's arrived & after reading quite a few reviews I thought I'll give them a go & send the 535's back but the 425's are on there way back & I am know seriously thinking of cancelling the 535's.

May 24, 2016 at 12:03 AM Post #14 of 17
I find the 425 disappointing as well. The sound is a really dull sound. I sent it back under warranty and the pair i got back are still dull. I find the w40 by westone much better even though they cost be $100 more it was way worth it. Maybe should have tried the 535 but i am done with buying anymore shure products.

May 24, 2016 at 12:06 AM Post #15 of 17
Just felt I had to add to this thread. Got some se425's yesterday & I have to say they sounded like absolute gash to me. Bass reproduction was poor even with a good seal & they sounded a bit well lifeless. None of the amazing detail that people seem to rave about. This was even with a DSD file through a chord mojo & ibasso DX50 as a digital transport. I Have some philips fidelio L2's which sound waaaaaaaaaaaay better. I'm pretty stunned to be honest. I have had shures in  the past which I remember sounding a lot better than these. Plus the right ear plug kept cutting out also. I kind of thought are they a copy or something the sound was so bad. Maybe I have spoilt myself recently by trying out some fidelio x2's & audio technica m50's plus have the L2's currently. I'm just trying to find something that sounds great on the move but has great portability & something for at home which I'm not too bothered about the portability of but great for music & movies. I have some Shure se535's on the way as went for the se425's but then thought I'll go for the higher model. The 425's arrived & after reading quite a few reviews I thought I'll give them a go & send the 535's back but the 425's are on there way back & I am know seriously thinking of cancelling the 535's.

Sounds dull and lifeless is exactly what the 425 sounds. Its like listening to am radio vs fm radio. Too bad i cant return them. Did you get the 535? Do they sounds much better? I bought the westone w40 and man they sound so much better.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back