Just got the Mac Book Pro!
May 22, 2011 at 10:25 PM Post #31 of 43
You know what, MoSXS? You're obviously not here to help so please feel free to stop. I'm tired of playing this petty game with you.

@Stew1234: I don't know if I mentioned but there's a 1.5 GHz G4 PowerBook that's running around in Utah still. It was mine from college and I gave it to my brother when I decided I needed some more horsepower. He's just now considering getting a new one as it's no longer able to keep up with general software updates.

Still runs great, though, considering. And that thing took regular trips through the London Underground and back and forth across the Atlantic. Very proud of my little G4.

May 24, 2011 at 8:15 AM Post #32 of 43
By the way, someone pointed out, just after I re-wrote my first post to you as a wiki entry, that holding down the option (alt) key when clicking on the sound volume in the menu bar brings up the audio input/output selection menu.  It's a habit of Apple to hide functions accessible via the option key.

May 25, 2011 at 10:23 AM Post #34 of 43
I new to all this stuff and this is the first I've read about the Toslink stuff. Right now I'm running a 3.5mm mini jack from the Macbook Pro headphone port to a PA2v2 amp. Could I benefit from using Toslink?

May 25, 2011 at 11:18 AM Post #36 of 43
Thanks! 
cool.gif

Jun 13, 2011 at 3:41 AM Post #37 of 43

Quote:
I had to do a double take for a minute thought I was on ZDnet they are famous for spreading fud about Mac. If you truly do use both OS's then you know both are capable of getting the job done it just seems to me its a whole lot less micromanaged on a Mac.

"Getting the job done" when it comes to certain tasks. Basic web browsing, emailing, writing basic documents, editing home movies for DVDs. But thats about it. Modern PCs are very powerful, so you can use them for work and play. But not a Mac. You either have to deal with underpowered hardware, or just a lack of proper 3D API support in the OS. Even if you install Windows, you still have to deal with that underpowered hardware and, in the case of the current MacBook "Pro" systems, HEAT. The SandyBridge units are well known for their heat issues that cause them to force shutdown to cool off. Great Apple design there. Oh, and why is it that I still can't watch a blu-ray disc on a Mac?

Quote:
You know what, MoSXS? You're obviously not here to help so please feel free to stop. I'm tired of playing this petty game with you.

What game? I'm just pointing out the reality with Macs and OS X and tried to save the OP from wasting money on a Mac. Obviously OP kept the Mac, but I did my duty in trying to save them from spending twice the money for half the features and hardware power.

Jun 13, 2011 at 3:47 PM Post #38 of 43

Quote:
What game? I'm just pointing out the reality with Macs and OS X and tried to save the OP from wasting money on a Mac. Obviously OP kept the Mac, but I did my duty in trying to save them from spending twice the money for half the features and hardware power.

Since statement inaccuracies are something of a pet-peeve of mine I'm going to go ahead and fix this for you:

"My game? I'm just pointing out my perceived reality that a different platform than the one I prefer isn't as good a value as my preference, due to difference in priorities. I think I'm doing the right thing by berating someone their purchase when, in reality, I have actually a limited experience with the platform and even less knowledge of the persons reasons for getting it. For all I know, they may have very, very good reasons to get a Mac. Either way, I'm going to ignore logic and the fact of my perceived bias and when called out on it pretend it's the most reasonable thing in the world."

OK. I feel better now.

I'm not saying you're not welcome to your own opinion, I'm just pointing out that it is, in point of fact, an opinion. For every single negative you can say about Macs I can list one positive and then a negative about Windows or Linux. For every thing you can point out that Windows can do that Macs can't I will point out an area where Macs excel over Windows. No platform is perfect, they all have issues and one bad experience should not condemn both the platform and all who choose to utilize it.

So, as I said before, you're not helping and please stop. You have voiced your opinion, for which we thank you, but right now it's not what this discussion is about.

Though, resurrecting threads, apparently, is.

Jul 25, 2011 at 4:13 AM Post #39 of 43

Quote:

Since statement inaccuracies are something of a pet-peeve of mine I'm going to go ahead and fix this for you:

"My game? I'm just pointing out my perceived reality that a different platform than the one I prefer isn't as good a value as my preference, due to difference in priorities. I think I'm doing the right thing by berating someone their purchase when, in reality, I have actually a limited experience with the platform and even less knowledge of the persons reasons for getting it. For all I know, they may have very, very good reasons to get a Mac. Either way, I'm going to ignore logic and the fact of my perceived bias and when called out on it pretend it's the most reasonable thing in the world."

OK. I feel better now.

I'm not saying you're not welcome to your own opinion, I'm just pointing out that it is, in point of fact, an opinion. For every single negative you can say about Macs I can list one positive and then a negative about Windows or Linux. For every thing you can point out that Windows can do that Macs can't I will point out an area where Macs excel over Windows. No platform is perfect, they all have issues and one bad experience should not condemn both the platform and all who choose to utilize it.

So, as I said before, you're not helping and please stop. You have voiced your opinion, for which we thank you, but right now it's not what this discussion is about.

Though, resurrecting threads, apparently, is.

No need to fix my post with your opinion.

And I still have yet to see how Mac OS X is better than Windows. It can't play blu-ray discs, it can't play modern games, it can't play older games as good as they run on Windows.

Now that Lion is out, we can discuss the flaws of that OS. The multi-monitor support still isn't as good as it was way back in Windows 98. It's a resource hog. With Safari open with 2-3 tabs, a couple of chat windows in Adium, iTunes, and Mail, I have about 1.8GB of RAM free out of 4GB. In Windows with the equivalent open, I'm barely passing 1GB used. My battery life, on a relatively new battery since my original one blew up like a balloon and Apple wouldn't replace it despite it being a known issue and a fire hazard, has been cut by about an hour under Lion.

Whether an upgrade from Snow Leopard or a clean install, Lion feels significantly slower than Windows 7 on the same hardware. Sure, the multi-touch gestures are nice, but no amount of Mission Control or gesturing can make up for the lack of Windows style alt-tab that takes you exactly to the window you want versus going to the application.

The only good feature about Lion is "Versions". But who wouldn't have set up auto-saving of critical documents and such in applications that support it prior to Lion?

And, again, the worst part is that when I'm done doing what I need to do on my Mac, I can't fire up the latest game or blu-ray disc to relax.

As I've said before, there is literally nothing Windows can't do that OS X can. However, there is plenty Windows can do that OS X can't. Modern entertainment (games and blu-ray discs) being one among many features that OS X does not have.

Oh and love the fact that the cheapest Apple computer with an optical drive is now $1200. And its only a DVD writer. $1200 in the Windows world on a desktop would get you a a DVD writer with Lightscribe or some sort of other labeling technology and a blu-ray writer that can do DVDs as well. Among many other features, like USB 3.0, missing from Macs. Including the ability to replace your HDD without performing system surgery.

Jul 25, 2011 at 4:50 AM Post #40 of 43

Quote:
Whether an upgrade from Snow Leopard or a clean install, Lion feels significantly slower than Windows 7 on the same hardware. Sure, the multi-touch gestures are nice, but no amount of Mission Control or gesturing can make up for the lack of Windows style alt-tab that takes you exactly to the window you want versus going to the application.

Can't you just 4-finger swipe downwards to see all open/active windows?

Jul 25, 2011 at 7:50 AM Post #41 of 43
Apple (CMD) - tab does exactly the same as ALT -tab on windows... you can even quit the app from there hitting q or hide it hitting h while having the cmd key pressed.

Jul 25, 2011 at 8:03 AM Post #42 of 43
If having a Blue-ray player was important, then you made a bad choice. That has nothing to do with whether or not one OS is better than the other.  Anyhow, optical disks will be dead or close to it in a couple of years, just like floppy disks died off.

Jul 25, 2011 at 3:50 PM Post #43 of 43

Quote:
And I still have yet to see how Mac OS X is better than Windows.

Personal experience to define universal truth.

Quote:
It can't play blu-ray discs, it can't play modern games,

You're right, it can't. However, I have an external hard drive filled with a few hundred 1080p movies that I stream throughout my apartment on a regular basis. They also only take the size of on Drobo instead of the wall I would require if they were real. Blu-ray was a dead format before it launched. Digital is the future in so many ways.

Quote:
it can't play older games as good as they run on Windows.

Can't it? Wait, then what have I been doing every single night for the past... Well few years. OK, sure, there are a number of games that you can't run natively (though that number is decreasing rapidly) but I CAN run Windows on my Mac thanks to a feature in OS X called Boot Camp. So while I can't always run games natively, it gives me a means to do so vial a dual-boot.

Quote:
The multi-monitor support still isn't as good as it was way back in Windows 98. It's a resource hog. With Safari open with 2-3 tabs, a couple of chat windows in Adium, iTunes, and Mail, I have about 1.8GB of RAM free out of 4GB. In Windows with the equivalent open, I'm barely passing 1GB used. My battery life, on a relatively new battery since my original one blew up like a balloon and Apple wouldn't replace it despite it being a known issue and a fire hazard, has been cut by about an hour under Lion.

The only good feature about Lion is "Versions". But who wouldn't have set up auto-saving of critical documents and such in applications that support it prior to Lion?

And, again, the worst part is that when I'm done doing what I need to do on my Mac, I can't fire up the latest game or blu-ray disc to relax.

As I've said before, there is literally nothing Windows can't do that OS X can. However, there is plenty Windows can do that OS X can't. Modern entertainment (games and blu-ray discs) being one among many features that OS X does not have.

Oh and love the fact that the cheapest Apple computer with an optical drive is now $1200. And its only a DVD writer. $1200 in the Windows world on a desktop would get you a a DVD writer with Lightscribe or some sort of other labeling technology and a blu-ray writer that can do DVDs as well. Among many other features, like USB 3.0, missing from Macs. Including the ability to replace your HDD without performing system surgery.

Ugh, going point-by-point is takin too long. I'm just going to block response.

Amount of RAM used by an app is not a measure of performance. At all. How quickly and easily the OS can release RAM makes a bigger difference. The point of RAM is to cache as much data as possible so instead of constantly reading from the hard drive it's reading from much faster memory. So using more memory isn't actually necessarily a bad thing. What would be bad is if the OS used up al your RAM and then was stingy about handing it over to something else. Which, oddly, it's not.

Lion is pretty **** slow for the first day or so for most people. Why? Because it's re-indexing your entire harddrive. There are a number of new Spotlight features and abilities that require this to happen so for as long as it takes your computer gets a very noticeable performance hit. Once it's done, however, it speeds right back up and on new hardware it runs better. Remember, unlike Windows, OS X focuses on the most current Apple hardware and optimizes for that.

Alt+Tab in Windows is Command+Tab in OS X. Or using Exposé, or Mission Control... So, yeah.

A lot of applications don't support auto-saving. It's not an overly common feature. Photoshop, for some stupid reason, has never implemented it despite the fact that it's known for crashing at the most inopportune moments. As for other features, what YOU find useful and what I find useful may be two different things. The full-disk encryption with FileVault 2 is very interesting to me. Because of Mission Control I'm actually using Spaces now and finding them rather handy. There are a number of other lesser-known features as well that I'm enjoying. So yeah, going back to "My preference is this thus it must be true for everyone," is not a valid argument for anything.

Also, note how at no point have I stated my opinion. So far just pointing out all the little factual inaccuracies and discrepancies you've made.

Oh, back to gaming and blu-ray. Well, as I said, gaming is a null-issue because you can run Windows on a Mac these days and more and more games are coming out on the Mac. Blu-ray is still a dead-in-the-water format. Oh, and USB 3.0. I love that one. People make such a fuss about it. Firstly, we have Thunderbolt. It's 10 Gbps instead of 6 Gbps and does daisy-chaining, target mode, video and audio, all of which USB 3.0 does not. USB 3.0 is, however, cheaper to implement. However, it's useless as a connection type.

USB 3.0 is pointless for things like keyboards and mice as the data throughput is over-kill. USB 2.0 is overkill for most of it. The big advantage would be data transfer speeds. However, if you actually want a good data transfer you'd never use USB. It's infamous for doing a bad job. It causes system issues on large amounts of data and it's not uncommon to transfer a few gigs only to find the total size transferred does not match. That doesn't happen with FireWire, eSATA or Thunderbolt. Which is why those are the means of transfer used in professional setups.

So brag about it all you want, it's bad at what it's meant for and overkill for everything else. Oh, and yes I admit that part is opinion. You could easily come back with "Thunderbolt isn't very well supported," or "It has a much higher cost for implementation," but if we're judging which is the better tech, Thunderbolt wins.

Oh, and I've replaced Mac hard drives before. Some of them are more difficult than others but the same can be said of any brand. HP, for example, has a nasty habit of installing their motherboards upside down. Which makes it harder to modify them.

As for the battery issue... Different experiences I guess. Apple has replaced faulty batteries for me multiple times. Then, I always buy Apple Care so that probably helps. Though, EVERY company lists batteries as "consumables" and almost never provides any level of support for a dead battery one-year out. So even if you want to lay this criticism at the feet of Apple I'll merely spread it around to the feet of every single other PC vendor.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back