Just got the Mac Book Pro!
May 18, 2011 at 12:11 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 43

Spareribs

Headphoneus Supremus
My first Apple computer.

Newbie Question:

How to I connect it to my V DAC? Do I have to convert the CD files into FLAC?
If so, how? What software to I need? What is the total procedure?

Help!

sorry for the newbie question

May 18, 2011 at 1:01 AM Post #2 of 43
Open up iTunes. Go into the Preferences (in the iTunes menu). In the Import Settings you want to select either Apple Lossless Encoder or AIFF (the former has smaller file sizes but no loss of music data) and, most importantly, check the box for error correction.

As for connecting your V-DAC, you can use USB, or you can use a Toslink to mini-optical cable from the headphone port of the MacBook Pro.  

For selecting the sound output, in Applications -> Utilities open up Audio Midi Set-up and select the V-DAC (if using USB) as the audio output. If you are using optical, it will already be set to use optical as the output. For switching around outputs quickly, I recommend using SoundSource, which adds a system-wide menu allowing you to quickly select the audio input and output.

May 18, 2011 at 9:30 AM Post #3 of 43
Thanks so much. I am real happy to achieve this finally.

I can't enable the tosh link output, for it is no where to be found and I do have the mini optical cable termination.  But it's not a problem because listening via USB port was extremely easy to activate. I'm fine with USB connection.

May 18, 2011 at 1:38 PM Post #4 of 43
Spareribs, you might want to look into XLD if you already have a sizable collection of FLAC audio for quick conversion. It's my go-to app these days. I know there are others, most notably Max, but I've never noticed a difference in quality so it's all personal preference. XLD seems to be more actively supported by it's developer, which is a big bonus for me. I also prefer developers who will push an update for a single fix to one bug instead of waiting a few weeks to bulk update. It's not good for server load but it's good for users (latest, most stable code possible).

May 18, 2011 at 8:08 PM Post #6 of 43
The headphone socket only switches to a digital optical output when you plug in a mini-optical cable anyway. The change is automatic.  If you have USB working fine, then that's no problem. 

I second the XLD recommendation. Don't forget to set the number of threads in the preferences for it to at least 8 so you can take advantage of the multiple cores you have in the computer. The result is a whole album can be converted in about 10 seconds.

May 18, 2011 at 8:38 PM Post #7 of 43
Is the Core i7 in the MacBook Pro a quad-core with hyper-threading enabled? I wasn't sure. When I ran XLD for the first time on my iMac it automatically chose 8 cores (quad-core with hyper-threading).

May 18, 2011 at 9:24 PM Post #8 of 43
Spareribs, might want to make sure you're REALLY happy with your purchase before going too far with your MBP. The honeymoon period WILL wear off. I bought my first Mac 4 years ago and I regretted it shortly after the return window closed. Apple's build quality forced me through two replacements into a third machine that hasn't been problem free either. The battery swelled up like a balloon and the DVD drive died. I know this will get me some negative replies, but Snow Leopard isn't anywhere near as stable, capable, or powerful as Windows 7. 

Plus you can get a significantly more powerful system for less money than you spent on your MacBook Pro. So yeah, make sure its the right choice before it's too late to return it.

May 18, 2011 at 9:54 PM Post #9 of 43
Hey I got a spare mini-to-TOSlink convertor (looks like this) and a TOSLink cable that I don't use any more. I could send it to you if you're willing to cover shipping.

Edit: Sorry, didn't realise you already have the necessary convertor. It should plug into your MacBook's headphone port--yes, that port is technically 3-in-1, handling analogue input, analogue output and optical output.

May 18, 2011 at 10:05 PM Post #10 of 43

Quote:
Spareribs, might want to make sure you're REALLY happy with your purchase before going too far with your MBP. The honeymoon period WILL wear off. I bought my first Mac 4 years ago and I regretted it shortly after the return window closed. Apple's build quality forced me through two replacements into a third machine that hasn't been problem free either. The battery swelled up like a balloon and the DVD drive died. I know this will get me some negative replies, but Snow Leopard isn't anywhere near as stable, capable, or powerful as Windows 7. 

Plus you can get a significantly more powerful system for less money than you spent on your MacBook Pro. So yeah, make sure its the right choice before it's too late to return it.

Sorry you had a bad experience. I've had my MacBook since 2007 and haven't had any serious problems. My battery is on its last legs, and I had to replace a busted hard drive (but that was an aftermarket upgrade, not the stock HD), but other than that it's been smooth sailing.

May 19, 2011 at 2:06 AM Post #11 of 43
My first Mac was a Titanium G4 PowerBook. Lasted a little over a year before I dropped it four feet onto a concrete floor. It ran for another three months with a cracked motherboard until it finally died. Next computer was an Aluminum G4 PowerBook. I eventually gave it to my brother after it became too slow for my needs. He still uses it. The replacement was a Intel Core 2 Duo MacBook Pro. It's still running, still works, still in use. However, I wanted something more powerful so I upgraded to an iMac as a desktop machine.

Only one Mac I've owned in all that time has died and it died because I dropped it onto concrete and the case shattered. I had to glue it back together just to keep the parts in one place. Still ran.

No idea what happened with your machines. I'd swear by Apple build quality. It is one thing they're known for. Heck, the latest MacBook Pros are three solid pieces of aluminum. It doesn't get much more stable than that.

May 19, 2011 at 5:39 AM Post #12 of 43
The Unibody MacBook Pros were designed fully by Apple, so are much improved over the previous models, the internals of which were designed by Foxconn.  There has been some hit-and-miss with build quality over the years, but it isn't anything like the PC makers whom I've seen had 100% of a model returned due to major faults.

May 19, 2011 at 8:23 AM Post #13 of 43
Snow Leopard isn't anywhere near as stable, capable, or powerful as Windows 7. 

/chuckle @ 'oSX' in your user name

Haven't had a single problem with any of my mac products, and I'm happily writing this on a new 2011 MBP. Had plenty of issues on various windows machines over the years though.

(And yes, I'm very aware that no technology is perfect - I don't expect it to be)

May 19, 2011 at 4:21 PM Post #14 of 43
I would debate that, MoSXS. How often do you work in OS X? I dual-boot OS X Snow Leopard and Windows 7 Ultimate. Between the two, I'd say they're both relatively stable but OS X takes a slight, if only, lead. Depending on what you do, Windows could be argued to be more stable.

I think the fair thing to say is both are very stable and, depending on the software you use and what you're doing, either can be rock solid or very unstable.

As far as capable, that's not true in the slightest, same with powerful. In fact, if you'd like, I can go down the list of things that OS X has built-in that Windows does not. I'm sure there is an equal list on the Windows side but that's not my point. My point is this idea that OS X is not as capable or powerful as Windows is an absurd fallacy from the days when OS X had massive compatibility issues with a number of more-common Windows-specific softwares and functions.

The truth is now, Windows has been known to take cues from OS X. Though, Microsoft has a long history of taking features it's competition has and saying, "Look at this new thing we have! And you can only find our version of it in our products!" Looking at the IE9 feature page is laughable. "You want HTML5 and CSS3? Gotta have IE9."

Users who are viewing this thread

Back