Just got the KSC75: Impressions - Out of the Box
Jan 11, 2008 at 4:30 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 73

Shahrose

Headphoneus Supremus
just got these and before burn-in i have to say i'm pretty impressed with how good they sound for the price ($16 USD total).

they immediately reminded me of the dt990s, as they have a similar bright freq response and nice clarity. i would say they perform about 75% as well as the beyers in every regard (treble detail, midrange, prat) except for soundstage, which i'd say is about 65-70% of the beyer's performance, and ofcourse the bass, where they really fall short of the beyers; i'd give them a 50% there (they go just as deep and have tight bass but the quantity is maybe even less than half of the 990s, no matter how much you eq the bass up)

overall i'm quite impressed with not only the tonal balance, but the capabilities of the drivers, as well as the comfort/price. i'd say these are unbeatable for the price. my old DJ headphones by nextech came close though, they sounded just as good (with even better bass) but cost $20 on sale. unfortunately, they were discontinued and their default tonal balance wasn't as good as the ksc75's (they required some minor eq'ing).

Jan 11, 2008 at 5:02 AM Post #2 of 73
How is the bass on these? is it boomy (like Koss IEMs?), is it light, is it deep, is it controlled etc?

I hear good things about the mid and highs but no one really talks about the bass on them, since I listen to mostly trance, I need deep, controlled bass.

These would be for home use so no need for isolation, ive fot the Atrio M5 on the way for isolation.

Jan 11, 2008 at 5:19 AM Post #3 of 73
Using with GoVibe7 it is not boomy, but pretty tight and deep with great controle all over it. The last one goes to V7.

Quote:

Originally Posted by navmau /img/forum/go_quote.gif
How is the bass on these? is it boomy (like Koss IEMs?), is it light, is it deep, is it controlled etc?

I hear good things about the mid and highs but no one really talks about the bass on them, since I listen to mostly trance, I need deep, controlled bass.

These would be for home use so no need for isolation, ive fot the Atrio M5 on the way for isolation.

Jan 11, 2008 at 5:23 AM Post #4 of 73
2x, however never heard them against Beyers, but if you pair them with an decent and most important matched amp, they would surpise you.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Shahrose /img/forum/go_quote.gif
just got these and before burn-in i have to say i'm pretty impressed with how good they sound for the price ($16 USD total).

they immediately reminded me of the dt990s, as they have a similar bright freq response and nice clarity. i would say they perform about 75% as well as the beyers in every regard (treble detail, midrange, prat) except for soundstage, which i'd say is about 65-70% of the beyer's performance, and ofcourse the bass, where they really fall short of the beyers; i'd give them a 50% there (they go just as deep and have tight bass but the quantity is maybe even less than half of the 990s, no matter how much you eq the bass up)

overall i'm quite impressed with not only the tonal balance, but the capabilities of the drivers, as well as the comfort/price. i'd say these are unbeatable for the price. my old DJ headphones by nextech came close though, they sounded just as good (with even better bass) but cost $20 on sale. unfortunately, they were discontinued and their default tonal balance wasn't as good as the ksc75's (they required some minor eq'ing).

Jan 11, 2008 at 5:23 AM Post #5 of 73
Amping does wonders, I'd prefer them over my HD555 that I just sold.

Unamped, I'd give the HD555 a thumbs up because it sounds fuller, amped though, the Koss is just faster, sounds fuller in all frequencies.

Meier Headsix BTW, I would say it's the perfect amp for the KSC-75.

Jan 11, 2008 at 5:49 AM Post #7 of 73
Shahrose, glad to see you are liking these little gems. For 16$, you just have to own a pair.

Navmau, I would call the bass a little on the light side. Think more in terms of the HD580. The PX100 certainly have a fuller bass, which to me is what I prefer.

Jan 11, 2008 at 5:54 AM Post #8 of 73
Quote:

Originally Posted by Towert7 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Shahrose, glad to see you are liking these little gems. For 16$, you just have to own a pair.

Navmau, I would call the bass a little on the light side. Think more in terms of the HD580. The PX100 certainly have a fuller bass, which to me is what I prefer.

Sweet! I might try the KSC75 as I can also get them for around $20 and if the bass is too light ill pass them on to my brother and ill get the PX100...don't really like IEMs at home.

Jan 11, 2008 at 5:57 AM Post #9 of 73
Quote:

Originally Posted by navmau /img/forum/go_quote.gif

the bass goes just as deep as the dt990s, which is quite deep, i can hear down to 20hz on them, ofcourse the frequency response rolls off sharply below 35hz. the bass is very tight and enjoyable, they are fast phones. it is very controlled as well. the overall balance is excellent, the cans are just a tad bright, otherwise the frequency balance is great. they have decent bass quantity, not earshaking by any means, but as a basshead, i'm not disappointed or put off by their bass response.

btw, i have an eq, so i bump up the bass a bit and it satisfies my requirements, however, the driver can handle a limited amount of bass after which it won't produce any more. as i said before, it's bass reproduction capability in terms of volume and strength is maybe 40-50% of the dt990s. (but that's not that bad tbh, the dt990s can produce eardrum-compacting bass)

Quote:

agreed, the portapros (which share the same drivers as the px100) are bassier than the ksc75s. but then again, they cost quite a bit more.

Jan 11, 2008 at 6:04 AM Post #10 of 73
Depends on the record, imo. And to me PX100 have an unclear, misty kind of woolly /dim sound sig. They are totally different phones and I do prefer Koss by far.

Quote:

I would call the bass a little on the light side. Think more in terms of the HD580. The PX100 certainly have a fuller bass, which to me is what I prefer.

Jan 11, 2008 at 6:14 AM Post #11 of 73
I believe PortaPros and KSC 75 sharing the same drivers and not PX100
biggrin.gif

And becuase KSC75 just clip on phones, which hanging on your ears without been pushed against it, thats why their bass response on a light side, but again depends on the record, imo. If you need more bass buy PortaPros, but thats what personal preferences are, isnt.
I also notice, when you push KSC75 more closer to your ears, bass and the whole sound become fuller, but not spacey anymore. Clarity and soundstage are gone as well, so love them for what they are.
cool.gif

Jan 11, 2008 at 6:16 AM Post #12 of 73
Quote:

Originally Posted by Blackmore /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Depends on the record, imo. And to me PX100 have an unclear, misty kind of woolly /dim sound sig. They are totally different phones and I do prefer Koss by far.

It's true, they are two totally different headphones. Always best to try the two and see which you like.

Jan 11, 2008 at 3:37 PM Post #15 of 73
Quote:

Originally Posted by Blackmore /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I believe PortaPros and KSC 75 sharing the same drivers and not PX100
biggrin.gif

i think you're right. i got them confused.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back