just got the DT880 but..
Jan 7, 2008 at 9:18 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 21

Abstract

New Head-Fier
Hi guys

I have a problem.. Iwe just gotten the Beyer DT880 '05 cans, and so far i really like them - even unamped!
I should be getting a Little Dot MKIII in a few days (Clearing customs atm). So i was gonna be the happy little camper :)

But but but. I'm getting concerned that even this semi open DT880 is too open. It seems that my girlfriend is complaining from the other room when i hear music.. (Ok we have a small apartement ;-o )

So you see my problem, i fear that i will only be able to use the phones fully durring the times she is not at home, and when she is at home i have to play music very low.

My first thought was to send the DT880 back and get the DT770 250, but what about the amp? I have a Little Dot tube amp comming, and i keep reading the DT770 is better with a meier ss amp.

So what to do?

Jan 7, 2008 at 9:28 PM Post #2 of 21
uhm..a possibly solution could be to change girlfriend and find another one who likes your music...(I'm joking..) the 770 is a different kind of cans...it's impossible to find a closed cans(even the Denons looks like are not so close..)that sound good like the 880...

Jan 7, 2008 at 9:34 PM Post #3 of 21
From other room? You seem to be listening bit too loud. They shouldnt leak THAT much on moderate volume levels. I suggest you teach yourself to listen at lower volumes, you will notice soon that volume is sufficient, and your older volumes seem insanely loud. This is best for your hearing too.

If you want to listen loud, closed can is pretty much your only option. But I dont know any closed can that would sound similar to DT880 either.

Jan 7, 2008 at 9:51 PM Post #5 of 21
close the door! =)

Seriously though, I don't see how someone in the other room can be bothered by it. You must play it very loud which is shortening the years off your audiophile career. Ration the volume and make her happy.
Dt-770s are quite a different flavor (and they're a lower model so technically worse) and unless you already tried them (you can try them at guitar center) I would advise against such a move.

Jan 7, 2008 at 10:12 PM Post #6 of 21
Quote:

Originally Posted by MaZa /img/forum/go_quote.gif
From other room? You seem to be listening bit too loud. They shouldnt leak THAT much on moderate volume levels. I suggest you teach yourself to listen at lower volumes, you will notice soon that volume is sufficient, and your older volumes seem insanely loud. This is best for your hearing too.

If you want to listen loud, closed can is pretty much your only option. But I dont know any closed can that would sound similar to DT880 either.

I agree. Teach yourself to enjoy music at a much lower volume. I trained myself and found that I actually enjoyed the music more and enjoyed much less fatigue to boot.

Jan 7, 2008 at 11:51 PM Post #9 of 21
like everyone else said...u must be listening REALLY loud....

i even listen to music loud on my DT990 (which are open) in the office and none of my colleagues has ever complained about being bothered by the sound leakage.

the only cans i know that leak THAT much sound would be the Philips open cans.

Jan 8, 2008 at 12:02 AM Post #10 of 21
i have to admit that i basically dont really think of them as 'semi-open', they seem a lot more than half open to me....

However, i think even if you are listening pretty loud, it would be a bit of a stretch to complain about the noise that they made from another room.

A true head-fi response: the problem is not with the headphone, its with the GF ;p

Jan 8, 2008 at 12:53 AM Post #11 of 21
I find the dt880 05 sounds best at around 75dB and above. Between 60dB-70dB they lose much of the fun which they have at 75dB. DT990 is much better and more fun at levels 60dB-70dB, but at 75dB and above dt880 is as fun and sound much more refined and correct. I still try to keep dt880 at around 70dB though, but sometimes I just got to have that 75dB.

You must have a VERY little house if your gf can hear you from another room though.

EDIT: I just might have drifted a bit OT there for a second.

Jan 8, 2008 at 1:27 AM Post #12 of 21
Quote:

Originally Posted by marillion64 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
it's impossible to find a closed cans(even the Denons looks like are not so close..)that sound good like the 880...

Having... difficulty... processing this... must... mention... the Edition 9. Kirk out!

Jan 8, 2008 at 6:49 AM Post #13 of 21
I think you guys are probably right, ill try to close the door and keep the volume a bit down :)

I'm now looking forward to hearing them with tha amp. Thanks for helping me sort my thoughts hehe

(Apartement is however only 2 rooms and 60 square meeters hehe)

Jan 8, 2008 at 7:20 AM Post #14 of 21
Well, you can try going less loud, but if you have a very quiet apartment any open headphone is going to annoy. It isn't entirely a matter of listening too loud, though that can obviously increase the trouble-- a very silent space can make any headphone seem loud, and any girlfriend complain. Trust me, I know of what I speak. I remember when my GF of the time progressively vetoed every single headphone I had for proposed nighttime listening, including my K340 which barely leaked, though I was not listening at high volume at all. Maybe you could get her some earplugs?

Jan 8, 2008 at 7:26 AM Post #15 of 21
If you have an amp on the way try it and see if you think the headphones make a good match. You are the final judge as to what works well together. Whatever you do don't buy the K1000 or SR-Sigma your SO will KILL you.

As to the "closed cans don't sound as good" type comment. I'm wearing a pair of AT right now and the Omega II sit at my feet.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back