Just got Super.fi 5 PRO
Jun 4, 2005 at 3:30 AM Post #106 of 137
Quote:

Originally Posted by JB.
Just called the Sunset Blvd Guitar Center and they said only a couple of stores in the Eastern US have received the Super.fi's so far. Crap! And I had my Visa in hand ready to buy. . .

Probably better that way. The UE tour is in a week and a half and so I'll be able to hear them before I buy.

Another reason for me to make a more prudent purchase is based on what Mike Dias at UE told me about the Super.Fi 5EB: that it is THE Super.Fi to buy. He said specifically that it is "a rockin’ phone" and that the bass was "phenomenal." He was by far the most excited about the 5EB, and noted that it was the model that would surely get the most attention.

My impulse would be to get the Pro, as I am a fan of accurate/neutral phones- the Ety ER-4S being my favorite closed phone ever, and often preferable to the sound of the best open phones I've ever heard.

This may all be overly optimistic, but I am very excited about the possibility of the 5EB being the canalphone that I’ve long been looking for: detail, decent freq range, comfort, no microphonics, and fun/engaging, but without brightness or inflated bass. I guess I’m just going to have to be patient . . .

Hey JB, when you listen to the EB and the Pro, could you post a quick impression of the differences? I have an iPod and considering the sub 100 Hz rolloff issue, it may be that I should get the EB's over the pros as well. Like you, I prefer accuracy and detail over bass, and most of my music isn't even bass oriented (jazz, classical, Rock and some Pop), so I'd really appreciate your impressions before I ship up here to the great white north (Canada)...

Thanx.

O

Jun 4, 2005 at 5:44 AM Post #107 of 137
I picked up a pair of UE super.fi 5 Pro this afternoon. Initial impressions were huge disappointment. First problem was the fit. It took me a frustrating and painful hour to realize that these are not what I would consider a canal phone at all. More of a sealed earbud, intended to engage only to the inlet of the ear canal. As a longtime Ety user I am used to engaging the foam tip completely into the ear canal (a true canal phone). Once I caught on, I switched to the largest rubber tips and got an easy (but uncomfortable, for me) seal.

The sound is also very underwhelming. Bloated midbass, shy treble, and a hole in the treble that just feels numb. After an hour of listening it is still there, and it really bugs me.

I was looking for an Ety with enhanced low bass response and improved wearability. The UE are obviously not made for my ears, so I guess I will keep looking.

Not sure what I will do with the UEs. Anybody with Shure E4c want to swap? Maybe I will try them in the car. They are not stable enough for the gym (compared to either my E3c or ER4S).

My advice at this point is to buy from someone with a good return policy.

gerG

Jun 4, 2005 at 6:31 AM Post #108 of 137
i habve been looking at the features page for both the super.fi 5pro and the 5B, while im just guessing, it looks like they a similar high frequency driver... from what i can see that could mean that the sound signature on both super.fis will be the same for both models, with the 5pros being more detailed on the lows due to the different low freq driver, but the EB model offering more impact due to their use of a diaphragm for a low frequency driver...

of course this are all assumptions :p

Jun 4, 2005 at 11:17 AM Post #112 of 137
Quote:

Originally Posted by gerG
I picked up a pair of UE super.fi 5 Pro this afternoon. Initial impressions were huge disappointment. First problem was the fit. It took me a frustrating and painful hour to realize that these are not what I would consider a canal phone at all. More of a sealed earbud, intended to engage only to the inlet of the ear canal. As a longtime Ety user I am used to engaging the foam tip completely into the ear canal (a true canal phone). Once I caught on, I switched to the largest rubber tips and got an easy (but uncomfortable, for me) seal.

The sound is also very underwhelming. Bloated midbass, shy treble, and a hole in the treble that just feels numb. After an hour of listening it is still there, and it really bugs me.

I was looking for an Ety with enhanced low bass response and improved wearability. The UE are obviously not made for my ears, so I guess I will keep looking.

Not sure what I will do with the UEs. Anybody with Shure E4c want to swap? Maybe I will try them in the car. They are not stable enough for the gym (compared to either my E3c or ER4S).

gerG

My thoughts exactly. Now that I have found a proper fit, they are not really a canalphone, as you stated, but rather an earbud. An expensive one at that. I've already got mine up on the FS forum. Seeing as how I haven't had much interest I am thinking these really are not all that great. Anyway, I am sticking with my Shures and Etys.

Jun 4, 2005 at 2:49 PM Post #113 of 137
Quote:

Originally Posted by gerG

gerG

Well, gerG, I've had mine since Tuesday, and, while, unlike you, I do find them very comfortable and stable (walking, not working out), I am beginning to see (hear?) their problems. After the initial excitement of finding an IEM with some real, visceral bass, I can now focus on their shortcomings.........namely, as you state, their "bloated mid-bass," and lack of high end detail. This became more readily apparent when I hooked them up to a PCDP w/line-out to my Portaphile V2. It wasn't as noticeable with the iPod, possibly due to the material I was listening to, or to the iPod itself.
In a head to head (ear to ear) with the Shure E3, the Shure, at first, sounded thin in comparison. But, after awhile, I realized that the Shures are more balanced, and provide more upper midrange detail. The Shure bass does not have nearly as much impact as the UE, but what is there is more well defined. In acoustic music, with few instruments, and vocals, there are times I prefer the UEs, as the vocals, to my ears, sound fuller and richer. For example, Ella Fitzgerald's voice is palpable on the UEs, whereas on the Shures, it seems a tad thin.
I still like the UE, as I find them extremely comfortable, and when I have the need for bass, I know they'll provide it. They also do a nice job with some poorly recorded material, as they hide the digital artifacts from my ears. But for extended, critical listening for a lot of the music I enjoy, they are not the answer. Unfortunately, having been here on Head-Fi since its inception, I know that, most likely, there are no answers..........only questions.
I guess I'll have to order the Shure E4 to see what they can do. Hey, this Head-Fi addiction is a hard job, but somebody's gotta do it.
tongue.gif

Jun 4, 2005 at 3:39 PM Post #114 of 137
I also am very disappointed in the super fi....i have used just about every in ear monitor over the years..shure....westone....etymotic.....i hoped to find an phone with impact that fits well and has a good seal to block out noise....i foind that both the etymotic and shure ec4 have a design that allows for very good insertion and excellent isolation but they lack impact as they are single driver design....the westone have 2 drivers but are difficult to insert,at least for me...i hoped that the super fi would be good in all areas...i received the super fi a few days ago and returned them shortly thereafter....they sound pretty good but are pretty much impossible for me to insert in my ear....as a previous post mentioned ..the design of the super fi only allows you to place it on the outer portion of the ear...the piece is too large to insert into the ear and as a result they sit on the outside of the ear somewhat....a seal is established but very little isolation can be achieved for me.In addition because of the larger shape you cannot use accessaries from shure or westone that might fit your ear well...i tried over and over and was very disappointed because i thought the super fi might sound reasonably good....perhaps a custom made piece would make this a good choice but for me as it stands it is useless and disappointing...what shocks me is that a company that made their reputation building custom made devices would mass produce an item that seems to me to be so difficult to use and insert....perhaps it is just my ears but i do not believe so

Jun 4, 2005 at 3:40 PM Post #115 of 137
Quote:

Originally Posted by jesse_w
I didn't have time last I posted, but I just dug the thread up for anyone who is interested.

http://www6.head-fi.org/forums/showthread.php?t=66858

jesse

Thanks!, i did kind of a quick search but didnt find it; very interesting!, after reading his i think my idea would be hard to do but not becuase havind to disassemble the iems but because you have to configure both drivers on each phone to work together well with the crossover, or i guess the sound would be messed up, i guess someone with more knowledge could enlighten us...
confused.gif

anyway i dont have the money or the knowledge to try that, but surely we would all be happy seeing someone try!!
icon10.gif

Jun 4, 2005 at 3:55 PM Post #116 of 137
Quote:

Originally Posted by jlbrach
I also am very disappointed in the super fi....i have used just about every in ear monitor over the years..shure....westone....etymotic.....i hoped to find an phone with impact that fits well and has a good seal to block out noise....i foind that both the etymotic and shure ec4 have a design that allows for very good insertion and excellent isolation but they lack impact as they are single driver design....the westone have 2 drivers but are difficult to insert,at least for me...i hoped that the super fi would be good in all areas...i received the super fi a few days ago and returned them shortly thereafter....they sound pretty good but are pretty much impossible for me to insert in my ear....as a previous post mentioned ..the design of the super fi only allows you to place it on the outer portion of the ear...the piece is too large to insert into the ear and as a result they sit on the outside of the ear somewhat....a seal is established but very little isolation can be achieved for me.In addition because of the larger shape you cannot use accessaries from shure or westone that might fit your ear well...i tried over and over and was very disappointed because i thought the super fi might sound reasonably good....perhaps a custom made piece would make this a good choice but for me as it stands it is useless and disappointing...what shocks me is that a company that made their reputation building custom made devices would mass produce an item that seems to me to be so difficult to use and insert....perhaps it is just my ears but i do not believe so

Welcome to Head-Fi, jlbrach........sorry about your disappointment with the Super.Fi Pro.
Maybe it's because isolation is not a priority for me that I find the UEs to be very acceptable, comfortwise. Although I have no problem inserting Ety tri-flanges, I find the feeling of intrusion to be bothersome after awhile. To my ears, the fit and feel of the flex tips of the UEs are no different than the ultra soft flex tips of the Shure E2c or E3. I guess different ear shapes account for the diverse opinions on this subject.
Besides the discomfort, did you have time to gather any impressions of the sound, beyond "pretty good."?

Jun 4, 2005 at 3:59 PM Post #117 of 137
lol, joelongwood, you are my hero! Plus it is always nice to meet someone who has this affliction worse than I do
wink.gif

I must appologize for using the term "bloated" to describe the bass response. I try not to editorialize, but I was grumpy and it slipped out. My issue is that the bass emphasis is very broad, and seems to peak in the 60 to 80 hz range. This yields a lot of punch, but I am not getting equal quantities of deep bass. The emphasis seems to extend too far up into the upper bass and lower mid for my taste. The effect is a lot like the "bass" knob on most stereo receivers. It bugs me, but many listeners may like it just fine.

I haven't figured out the treble yet. It seems to roll off, then come back a couple of times as you go up in frequency. Just a rather odd effect.

The fit is just a personal thing. I have figured out how to engage the E3c so deep that they are completely within the boundaries of my ears. The shallow engagement of the UE, with much of the body sticking out, makes them feel like they will escape. I tried to get a deeper fit, but the large diameter plastic body gets hung up on the first restriction of my ear canal, which is not flat or perpendicular to the canal, so I could not get a reliable seal.

I could not get the foamies to work at all, which is another problem because the rubber tips act like suction cups and give me pressure changes whenever I move. I don't think I can ever get used to that.

gerG

Jun 5, 2005 at 6:43 AM Post #118 of 137
Hey how about a [size=xx-large]PICTURE[/size] of the metal case, and of the UE's in your ears. One of the reviewers mentioned that the case has foam cutouts for the wax tool, etc. Can this bit of foam be removed? What I am really getting at is whether the metal case will work with the 50" thick e2c cable. I saw the case and immediately fell in love with it, but I dont know if my e2's will fit in it. Please help

Users who are viewing this thread

Back