Just got Super.fi 5 PRO
May 30, 2005 at 7:01 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 137

mchurgin

100+ Head-Fier
First initial thoughts.

Picked up a pair a Guitar Center. They are the clear color ( I think for professional musicains) they are not listed on the UE website. They are the same color as the Shure 5 series. I used to own the 5c and The sound of these remind me very much of the Shure's. Good bass and good detail mids and highs.
I got rid of the Shures because I found the cable, even with removing the form fit to be very heavy and uncomfortable. I also could only get a good seal with the large clear tips which became uncomfortable after long periods.

I have also tried Shure E2'S, e3, Ety 4p, Ety er6, Sharp md33.

The Superfi. pro seams a lttle clearer yet still provides great bass than the Shure e5. The cable is very thin and lightweight and the form fit wire is very thin and light and I cant even feel it over my ear. They are also designed to wear either behind the back OR down the front. I even tried wearing them straight out of the ears, ie. Shure e3, and that works very well also if you are not mobile. Perfect for laying in bed. Comes with the standard multiple sizes of eartips similar to Sony's and Sharp. Also has one pair of dual flange soft tips. I need the large and they fit good and I got a good seal immediatley.

Packaging is superb: includes a beautiful travel leather case and a brushed aluminum hard case with cable spool and an ingenious hole on two ends to plug the headphone jack into. Also has a level attenuator ans 1/4" adapter.

These things are super light. I think they feel so light because the cable is so unobtrusive compared to the Shure e5's.

If you dont care for the sound of any of the canalphpones listed above but like the e5 sound these are better and much smaller and much more comfortable and versatile in the wearing options.

I will post further comments after a day or two of more critical listening.

May 30, 2005 at 7:26 PM Post #3 of 137
What was the price? Anyone mind buying one and shipping to Canada?
evil_smiley.gif
evil_smiley.gif

May 30, 2005 at 7:46 PM Post #4 of 137
mchurgin,

thanks so much. i cant wait for your detailed analysis. from just your post I am going to choose the superfi's over the shure e4.

May 30, 2005 at 7:56 PM Post #5 of 137
Quote:

Originally Posted by some1x
What was the price? Anyone mind buying one and shipping to Canada?
evil_smiley.gif
evil_smiley.gif

Dittoed

May 30, 2005 at 7:57 PM Post #6 of 137
I paid $225. I was there to buy my son a guitasr for his birthday and I went to see if they hade the Shure E4's. I didnt see any Shures but I noticed the UE Super.Fi's and on a whim I tried them.

It was a good choice.

May 30, 2005 at 8:04 PM Post #8 of 137
A guitasr huh? Never herd of one of those before.
confused.gif
evil_smiley.gif

Sounds like these thing are going to be giving the E4C some good compotition. Are they for sale anyplace else besides Guitar Center? Online? Make sure to drop by www.headphonereviews.org when you have a good feel of them and do a review of them, after creating a profile of course.

May 30, 2005 at 8:04 PM Post #9 of 137
Quote:

Originally Posted by tayano
Pictures maybe ?
biggrin.gif

Yes, yes, picures please.

May 30, 2005 at 8:21 PM Post #10 of 137
Sorry about that "Guitar Center" is the store.

Update!!! While playing with the form fit cable the wire inside broke. So I proceeded to do the "Shure e5 wire form fit mod". This is nothing more then cutting away the clear ubing and cutting the wire off where it meets the earpiece. It was much easier to do this on the Super.fi's because the wire is thinner and not as long. Now I like them even more. I dont understand why the form fit cable is even neede. W/O it the wire just hangs right over my ear and cant possibly fall of. It also make wearing it straight in like Etys even more comfortable. Great for laying in bed not having to go around your ear.

May 30, 2005 at 8:30 PM Post #11 of 137
Awsome, Head-Fi already has a pair of modded Super.Fis.
rolleyes.gif
biggrin.gif

May 30, 2005 at 8:33 PM Post #12 of 137
Thanks for the info mchurgin. Does the $250 UE super.fi 5pro really sound better or even equal to the shure e5? I have the e5 by tire of its large size in my small ear and the ropelike cable. I would replace it with this headphone if it's consensus, and I guess I'll have to wait until more folks buy this new headphone, that it's > or even = to the Shure e5. thx, - walkman

May 30, 2005 at 8:43 PM Post #13 of 137
I am only going from memory because I got rid of the E5's a few months ago. I think they sound more detailed and clearer in the high end.

With the mod of cutting of the form fit wire, I actually like wearing it straight in the best. I get a really great seal ( big earsize) and they are super light. I dont think they stick out anymore or less than the Shure e3. Even with severe head shaking they will not come loose. I dont know if I will wear them around my ears at all. By the way no real microphonics to speak of either straight in ear or around top of ear.

Finally my "dream design" over the counter canalphone: Shure e5 sound (or better)
Comfort and light weight like the Shure e3. Although not mentioned by UE can wear them straight in or over the ear.
Easy on the ears tips that actually seal my ears. (i've had many canalphone seal problems).

Great product and great accesories. Good job UE.
I am glad the the Guitar Center did not have the Shure e4's!!!
I dont know why there is no mention of these clear ones on the UE website?

May 30, 2005 at 9:06 PM Post #15 of 137
Very interesting. They are clear?
UE did say the 5pros are for consumers as well as musicians, though they never mentioned anything about a different color.

Could you do me a favor and measure the length of the headphone casing, from edge to edge? You can leave off the stem part, and just measure the inside or outside. Doesn't matter how you do it, just let me know which way you measured.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back