Just got some B&W 685s! Help me make them sing! (Amp questions)
Mar 4, 2009 at 5:12 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

Marzie

100+ Head-Fier
Hello all,

Just to go over my head-fi journey over the last year or so:

I use a DIYEDEN SVDAC04-U USB dac for several hours a day. I had been going into a CK²III from the outputs, but recently I bought a Cambridge Audio 540c CD player, so that amp went to be with that player. I also have a Millet Hybrid Max that was used with my PS1 until that died last month (hence the 540c.) That also is with the new CDP.

Well just this week I bought a cambridge audio 640a integrated amp, a 640p phono preamp (I plan on buying a rega p1 in the next month or so), and a pair of B&W 685s. I don't have this equipment yet, but it is all bought and paid for.

Now I have the ability to turn the millet max into a preamp with a little bit of soldering, but I was thinking of going with a tube power amp instead, as I'm not sure the best way to send a preamp signal to the 640a (if this is possible/recommended, let me know) and I believe it would sound better. I'm looking for a power amp as I believe the 640a will do all I need in terms of preamping and switching sources... One thing I am wondering about is if I can use the two "rec out" outputs on the amp to go to my two HP amps and the preamp out to go to the power amp...?

I have looked through a few forums and threads and have seen different reccomendations:

The MA EL84 @ around $270 US

Some of the Yaqin Amps (Saw several models discussed)

The Elite80 @ $5-600

So I'm wondering what everyone here would suggest... I've looked at a few on audiogon as well, and I'm not opposed to waiting to see a particular model on there to get a good price, as the 640a will "get me by"
smily_headphones1.gif
for a while. I just know I'm going to want that tube sound soon though.

I would like a "full" tube amp as apposed to a hybrid, just going off of the info I have read, unless someone can make a compelling argument for a hybrid... Also, if there are any suggestions for monoblocks, I would like to hear them. I believe I get the idea behind them (separate circuitry for each channel) but I like the way they look too!
smily_headphones1.gif

Price range is $150 - 550. Sorry if I got a little "rambly," it's late... Thanks in advance!

Mar 4, 2009 at 7:50 PM Post #2 of 11
As I've been thinking about this, I'm not sure if what I want is a tube power amp. I listen to a lot of hard rock like Tool and NIN, Foo Fighters, etc. that sounds better with solid state. I would like the tube sound now and again though. That is why I'm thinking of a tube preamp or tube buffer (a buffer is just takes the line out from a source to the input of a preamp, right?)... I'm not sure of the best way to get what I am looking for (tube sound with ease to switch back to solid state) with the setup I will have, any suggestions are welcome.

Mar 4, 2009 at 8:25 PM Post #3 of 11
A cheap 20 watt per channel Chinese amp will probably be quite unhappy driving B&W's. You will want to look at something with at least 35-40 watts per channel to get buy. I would say an EL34 push-pull Jolida is the lowest you should go. Something like an old pair of Dynaco monoblocks with 6550's might be a better idea.

The Elite 80 is closer to what you should be looking for, but without even looking inside I can tell the grounding is super sloppy.

Tube vs. Solid State for rock is no contest, the high peaks in the rock music will not come through as smoothly on a clipping solid state amp as they will with a tube amp... but honestly, you will need to spend a little more money to get what you're looking for.

The buffer will not give you anything close to what a tube output section will.

Mar 4, 2009 at 9:28 PM Post #4 of 11
Marzie, use the recording outputs on the 640A to run to the headphone amps and connect a power amp to the preamp out. I do something similar with a Conrad-Johnson PV2 preamp and it works great.

For a tube power amp, consider the older Conrad-Johnson EL34 based push-pull amps, specifically the MV45, MV50, MV52, and MV55. You should be able to find one in your budget. I picked up a MV52 a couple of years ago and have really enjoyed it. It's reliable, solidly built, the tubes are affordable, and it sounds great. It has the sweetest mids, but does well enough with the highs and lows. It's a very listenable piece of gear - no fatigue and a pleasing sound. I also considered the Dynaco ST70 - a classic - but the MV52 was a good deal and I've been happy with it. I considered selling it a couple of times to try something different and couldn't bring myself to it. I think I'll keep it for the long haul.

If you want to go with solid state, I like Bryston, Pass Labs and NAD. All of them make good stuff.

I'd skip the tube buffer; I've never seen much of a point. If you want solid state in a power amp, then use a tubed preamp.

Also, I'd pick a used Rega P3/Planar 3 over a new P1. You'd be better off with the glass platter and RB300.

Mar 5, 2009 at 12:32 AM Post #5 of 11
audiowize - I figured that the cheaper amps would not do the speakers justice, thank you for confirming that. But you are saying the fast rock will sound better from the tubes than the solid state? I would have thought the opposite, it seems like with the tube amp, it does not "keep up" with the pace of the faster music, is the word I'm looking for "decay?"

If I nearly doubled my budget, say $500-975, what would you recommend?

Erik - That was my intention with the HP amps, thanks for confirming that will work. I will look into those amps you suggested, there is an MV50 on the 'gon for $750 and an mV55 for $940 obo. I like the look of the conrad johnsons a lot, and the sound you are describing sounds like what I am after.

But I'm still torn about exactly what would fit my needs the best;

I want the tube sound but what happens if I want to listen to solid state? What upgrade/set of upgrades will offer me the easiest switch between the two, along with a great sound when listening either way.
What 'wize described leads me to believe that a "good" tube power amp will still give me the resolution I want for fast rock, would you agree? If not, what is the best arrangement to get a tube sound sometimes and a solid state other times? What choices do I have? Use the cambridge for switching inputs, then use one of the recording outputs to a tube preamp and go into a power amp that has switching between the preamp out of the cambridge and the tube preamp?? That sounds good, it would mean buying a power amp and a tube preamp, but I want to do it right... what do you think?

Thanks for the advice on the P3, it is outside of my price range for now, I'm anxious to listen to all my new LPs, I'd hate to spend the $400 and not be satisfied but I'd REALLY hate to spend the $800+ (plus cart) and find I don't like the sound...

Mar 5, 2009 at 12:57 AM Post #6 of 11
Hey, I found a used p3 with the RB250 tonearm for $395 (+tax n shipping), that tonearm alone costs $295 new, would this be a recommended buy?

Mar 6, 2009 at 12:16 AM Post #7 of 11
No responses? Hmm, where is everyone? I'm still up in the air about what to do for my tube-lust... I'm considering a mapletree audio or decware switchbox, going from the record out on the cambridge to a tube pre, then switching the output to a solid state power amp... If I have to switch cables, so be it, but there's got to be someone that has been in this situation before... what did you do? Bite the bullet and go with the tube power amp? Go solid state power amp with a tube pre? Two power amps, one solid state, one tube? Or some other combo I have not yet considered?

Mar 6, 2009 at 1:05 AM Post #9 of 11
Looks interesting, lots of customization options, but it gives the hint of "FOTM"

Mar 6, 2009 at 2:06 AM Post #10 of 11
Are u looking for an integrated amp??? or power amp???

Maybe you're better off driving it with a NAD, Rotel or Cambridge audio integrated amp. Outlaw or Emotiva (Pre-Pro and power amp set-up) or Cambridge audio integrated amp. So many amps to choose from...will also depend on you budget. You can also try avsforum. Go to a B&W thread. THat site is tend to be more for speakers.

Mar 7, 2009 at 4:19 AM Post #11 of 11
OK, in case anyone is ever in this situation, I found out something AWESOME [size=xx-small](by reading the MANUAL... duh...)[/size]

This amp has an input called "Tape In." It also has two "Record Out" outputs. When the "tape in" input is used, it sends a DIFFERENT source out the record out outputs. This means that I can hook up one of the record outs to the input of a tube preamp and hook the output of the tube preamp to tape in. Then I just select which source I want to use i.e. CD player, and then select the "tape in" input. Now I have the first source, the CD player, going to my record output, through the preamp, then into the tape in and out through my speakers! Simple right?
ksc75smile.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back