Just got my Wooaudio 3
Nov 29, 2005 at 3:47 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 30

diskostu

Head-Fier
I just got my Wooaudio 3 (I got the black one). I bought it used off of Audiogon. It's awesome. The thing is built solid. I just bought some tubes: Tung Sol 5998, Electro-Harmonix 6922EH's and Mullard E88CC Holland's. Once they get here I'm going to start rolling. I also looking at getting a WE 421A, does anyone know where's a good place to get one? Originally I was thinking about get a Muscial Fidelity X-Can V3 but the Woo 3 looks so cool with the tubes glowing and it got a lot of good reviews here.

My other amp is a Corda HA-1 MkII. The Woo sounds very different from Corda. I like the sound of SS and I think I'll the sound of tubes. I wanted to experience tubes and the Woo 3 was my choice.

Nov 29, 2005 at 3:54 AM Post #2 of 30
Congrats and welcome to team Woo
biggrin.gif
Tube dampers also make a nice tweak. Most people I know use the Herbies tube dampers, however you can also check out the tube O-rings on Audiogon or Ebay and the Mapleshade brass dampers. I've never tried the Mapleshade ones but the Herbies and the O-rings have both worked well for me. Also it's quite easy to mod the parts on the inside of the Woo3, have a look at some of Jamato8 (John's) posts.

Nov 29, 2005 at 5:06 AM Post #5 of 30
Quote:

Originally Posted by diskostu
I just got my Wooaudio 3 (I got the black one). I bought it used off of Audiogon.

Congrats. I'll be joining you soon. I just agreed to buy a black WA3 off of audiogon as well. Black looks best, I think.
biggrin.gif

I'm just starting to read up on what tubes to get.

Nov 29, 2005 at 11:39 AM Post #6 of 30
The 421A is not easy to find. I got mine off of Ebay. They were both new in box with one much older than the other. They both tested new but then I have testers that make it easy to verify how the tube is before I use it. The tube I liked best was the equally hard to fine 5336. I also found these on Ebay. I got them new and they proved to be NOS but you can not always trust that they are. The nice thing about the 421A is that it is so well matched. Usually both halves are within a few percent if not exactly the same. I found the 5336 a little cooler but with more transparency and bass control over any of the other types of tubes with the 421 a close second. For the input tube there are so many choices, as you have seen. It is up to individual preference and what your musical bias might be.

I agree with your assessment about the build quality of the Woo. It was a pleasure to work on and just to look at.

John

Nov 30, 2005 at 2:20 AM Post #8 of 30
Congrats on your Woo purchase. I've auditioned the MF X-Can V3, and although I wouldn't kick the V3 out of bed, IMO the Woo is a better sounding amp.

Don't be so quick to discount the Tung Sol 5998 - it's my favorite Woo output tube, and to my ears it does many things very well.

Amperex input tubes also seem to be a good match with the Woo, so if you stumble across some give 'em a try.

Nov 30, 2005 at 3:30 AM Post #9 of 30
I would not pay that much for the 421A. They are a pretty tube and come nicely boxed but to me they do not offer that much of a difference. I agree the 5998 is fine and as stated, I prefer the 5336 to the 421A and it can be had for much less than what appears to be the price of the 421A.

John

Nov 30, 2005 at 9:52 PM Post #11 of 30
Hey, I had a Woo3. My favorite combo was 5998 with Siemens 6dj8s. I rolled many good 6922/6dj8 variants including Amperex PQs and to my ears the Siemens were my favorite and produced the best bass slam. Try some Siemens if you can find some. They were very rare when I was looking for them, however.

Dec 2, 2005 at 8:47 AM Post #12 of 30
How does this amp compare to the MPX3 given it's half the price?

Sorry, I haven't done any tube research yet, but would it make sense to later upgrade the Woo with VT-231s and 6SN7s for example, or would it benefit from different tubes to the SinglePowers?

Dec 2, 2005 at 2:17 PM Post #13 of 30
Quote:

Originally Posted by jamato8
I agree with your assessment about the build quality of the Woo. It was a pleasure to work on and just to look at.

John

John: While you're in China wonder you have had a chance listening to some of the Chinese tube Amps? I'm particularly interested in G&W T2.6F and how it compares with Woo. Love to hear your opinions ...

Dec 2, 2005 at 2:20 PM Post #14 of 30
I have most all of the 6SN7's and many of the 12SN7's and I still prefer the life of a good 6DJ8. It has often been argued that the 6DJ8 was not a tube for audio, but I don't really care. To me, when set up correctly, I just hear a more realistic and live sound.

IMO

John

Dec 2, 2005 at 5:07 PM Post #15 of 30
Quote:

Originally Posted by grey
Hey, I had a Woo3. My favorite combo was 5998 with Siemens 6dj8s. I rolled many good 6922/6dj8 variants including Amperex PQs and to my ears the Siemens were my favorite and produced the best bass slam. Try some Siemens if you can find some. They were very rare when I was looking for them, however.

big money for the siemens though.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back