Just got my Ultrasone Pro 900s - Issue
Sep 5, 2012 at 9:18 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 18

ThegreatBoner

Head-Fier
I plugged them into my Fiio E11 and Samsung Galaxy S3 and the thing is I can't hear any of the vocals on the tracks I play. I know they're there but it's just so low!

How can I change this so I can actually hear the vocals?

Sep 5, 2012 at 10:13 AM Post #5 of 18
Heya,
Quote:
I plugged them into my Fiio E11 and Samsung Galaxy S3 and the thing is I can't hear any of the vocals on the tracks I play. I know they're there but it's just so low!

How can I change this so I can actually hear the vocals?

Quote:
So I can't change this? If that's the case then I'm gonna have to return them :'(

This is what recessed mids means.

To correct it, the best way to equalize it, would be to lower the bass hump, starting with 250ish hz to 80hz, lowering probably around 3~5db, if not the full 10db or so that it is spiked there. You'll then have mids again.

However, by doing this, you might as well have not gotten the PRO900 in the first place. It's a bass cannon with recessed mids. If you wanted a bassy headphone with mids, the headphone for you is the Denon D5000.

Very best,

Sep 5, 2012 at 10:36 AM Post #6 of 18
This is just the signature of these headphones. The vocals sound like everyone is singing behind a curtain or something. Great bass pump tough.

Sep 5, 2012 at 12:58 PM Post #8 of 18
i have the ultrasone pro 900 and the vocals are very present... i can hear it .. i have hd 598 to.! :) return your headphones. these the only way, because I assure you that is not the sound signature. vocals are not beautiful like the hd 598 but you can hear it... 

Sep 5, 2012 at 2:02 PM Post #9 of 18
Quote:
Are you sure you plugged the jack in all the way?

Exactly! LOL

Try connecting it directly to the output of the phone... Maybe it's the FiiO amp... or a bad connection somewhere... (it shouldn't be THAT recessed as to NOT hear the vocals...)

Sep 5, 2012 at 2:13 PM Post #10 of 18
Quote:

Exactly! LOL

Try connecting it directly to the output of the phone... Maybe it's the FiiO amp... or a bad connection somewhere... (it shouldn't be THAT recessed as to NOT hear the vocals...)

Yeah, find a few other sources to try to plug it into. A home receiver, or a cd player? Sounds like it's a connection issue. 

Sep 5, 2012 at 3:00 PM Post #11 of 18
Quote:

Yeah, find a few other sources to try to plug it into. A home receiver, or a cd player? Sounds like it's a connection issue. 

I'm not sure why people think it's a connection issue when he said he can hear vocals, they are just low, which is how this headphone is supposed to sound. 

Do you really think if it wasn't plugged in, it would just drop the vocals and not the rest of the music?

Sep 5, 2012 at 3:17 PM Post #12 of 18
Quote:
I'm not sure why people think it's a connection issue when he said he can hear vocals, they are just low, which is how this headphone is supposed to sound. 

Do you really think if it wasn't plugged in, it would just drop the vocals and not the rest of the music?

Well, depending on how low the vocals are, it could be an amp issue, or a source issue. Someone with a lot of experience might be able to hear that the rest of the sound isn't 'right', but an inexperienced user might first, or only notice that the vocals are missing due to connectivity issues.

It's hard to quantitatively judge how 'low' they are. Based on the original description, it seems like they are almost not present at all. 

Sep 5, 2012 at 4:12 PM Post #13 of 18
Quote:

Well if I plug any of my headphones into a 3.5mm stereo jack about 3/4 of the way in while music is being played through it, I get this funky sound also where the vocals are extremely recessed and blurred. Believe it or not, this is the number 1 error that causes panic among headphone noobs when they run into it at some point.

Sep 5, 2012 at 4:25 PM Post #14 of 18
This is why I always come into any audio purchase thinking "mmm epic bass and sparkly highs" imagining a scooped sound in my head.

Then when I actually try things out the laws of physics kick in (extreme opposite frequencies drowning out everything in between) and I end up favoring something balanced or mid-emphasized.

Sep 6, 2012 at 4:04 AM Post #15 of 18
Nevermind, stupid me didn't put the wire in properly! First impressions now are that they are amazing, these headphones literally are shaking my brain!!!!!! Leaks a ****load though!

Sorry for being an idiot guys, and thanks for all the help!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back