Just got my Thx-00's/ EXTREMELY DISSAPOINTED
Jun 19, 2016 at 12:21 PM Post #16 of 20
I have M100s and the Fostex-sibling of TH-X00s, Denon D2000. The latter has much better quality bass, that does get too much sometimes, but it's much clearer in the subs. they have lots more soundstage too, more like a truly open set. Resolution is much better on the Denons.

I'm waiting for my pair of purpleheart-X-00s. They SHOULD be better than than D2000, right?

Jun 22, 2016 at 12:13 AM Post #17 of 20
When you buy a new pair of headphones, the most major difference you'll notice, which I think you've already discovered, is a change in the tonal balance (frequency response). If the overall balance isn't that much different, it will be hard to notice anything much different.  Very likely many of the people who had "wow" moments with the Fostex were coming from much cheaper headphones to begin with, so it was a big upgrade for them. 

If you're listening a lot to music on Youtube, assuming the recording is good in the first place, which a lot aren't, the quality has to be set at least at 480 otherwise the audio tracks will be considerably compressed.

Try the NPR Tiny Desk concerts, for example. Listen to those for a few days, then one day, switch back to the VMODAs after you've already listened for some time one day and see how you feel then.

Both the Fostex and FiiO gear are "bang for the buck" quality gear. You're not going to be getting a lot of fine detail retrieval and amazing dynamics from them. 

Jun 22, 2016 at 12:33 AM Post #18 of 20
When you buy a new pair of headphones, the most major difference you'll notice, which I think you've already discovered, is a change in the tonal balance (frequency response). If the overall balance isn't that much different, it will be hard to notice  

This. Pretty much. It comes down to tone and "sound signature" in my opinion. I prefer sennheiser px100iis to the Beyerdynamic dt-880 simply because they were simply too sterile. I know it may not be true for everyone but everyone has their own preference.

It is true though my first set of good headphones were the grado sr60s I was initially disappointed but over time appreciated them. Now I actually consider grades too bright for the most part which is interesting.

Jun 22, 2016 at 9:14 AM Post #19 of 20
I really like the TH-X00's. I use them through a Schiit Asgard and Audioquest Dragonfly. They sound amazing to my ears...the kind of sound I'm looking for personally. Having said that, I haven't tried them just straight into my computer or phone. Maybe they do require a good amp and dac to really sound their best.

Quote:
I have M100s and the Fostex-sibling of TH-X00s, Denon D2000. The latter has much better quality bass, that does get too much sometimes, but it's much clearer in the subs. they have lots more soundstage too, more like a truly open set. Resolution is much better on the Denons.

I'm waiting for my pair of purpleheart-X-00s. They SHOULD be better than than D2000, right?

I have the Mahogany TH-X00's and the D2000...I haven't done an A/B test yet but I'm pretty sure the X00's sound better.

Nov 27, 2017 at 6:32 PM Post #20 of 20
If you're in this game (I mean world of audiophiles) first thing you have to know:
- 5% upgrade in sound quality is considered a HUGE upgrade and worth spending $ thousands and thousands and thousands.
But these are the rules of the game.

Well by this standard mentioned above they were worth it, for me at least. I just received them today. I am not a audiophile, I don't even know how one gets inducted into said clan, however...They sound so much better than anything I have ever owned that I felt I should at least bump the thread. I think that If I would have seen this thread before I bought them off Massdrop this past week that I probably wouldn't have ordered them. The first thing I listened too with XOO's was the high quality stream on spotify of Radiohead's Moon Shaped Pool, of witch I had never listened too before. I am pretty blown away with these, they are running through the Topping A30 that I recently picked up. I grew up in a family of musicians, I am a musician, I love music, I love great sounding music of all kinds. The second thing I put through these was PYT by MJ. Good lord, these sound great...not as great as on the westlakes in the studio but for 400 bucks...super happy.

I guess it's all relative...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back