Just got my Sennheiser HD595s - First impressions...
Jun 6, 2006 at 5:44 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 13

Piffles

100+ Head-Fier
First of all, I'd like to warn you that this post is completely pointless... I'll just be giving my personal, unprofessional impressions on the HD595s after having listened to them for a day. So, if that's nothing to you, don't bother reading on.
tongue.gif

The reason I purchased the 595s was that I tried the 580s on in a shop, with a good amp and all, and was very impressed. I was attracted by the laid back sound and the warmth which, I thought, would make the headphones pleasant to listen to for extended periods of time (not this agressive "in-your-head" sound that a lot of them have). However, I use an M-Audio USB interface as a source which has a just above pathetic amp to the phones jack (pathetic being mp3players, discmen etc), so I wanted some easy-to-drive phones similar to the 580s. The 595s were the ones that seemed to meet those conditions best.

Previously, I had been using my dad's prehistoric AKGs, bought in the late 80s, called "parabolic" something or other. My dad assures me they were very highly rated headphones at the time.
rolleyes.gif
Yeah, right!

Anyhow, first impressions:

The Good:
- At first, I thought they were very nice, lovely warm sound, lots of atmosphere. I thought: finally! headphones that sound like loudspeakers.
- Surprisingly, they are also very detailled. I can hear lots of noises on the recordings that I couldn't hear with the AKGs.
- They are very good at "big things": orchestras, complex arrangements with lots of different instruments. They are very good at seperating all the instruments, giving a clear sound from all of them and spacing them out.
- They also perform very well on "atmospheric" music: soft jazz, film music, moody stuff etc.
- They can also do "small things", and excel on Jazz trios (guitar + drums + bass), especially on the bass.

The Bad:
- Then I changed music styles a little and put some Mark Knopfler on. They are very good on Mark's older albums, especially the bluesy tracks like You and Your Friend, Fade to Black but when it comes to Mark solo stuff, especially the acoustic stuff, you notice one thing: Too much bass, just too much (especially bad on A Place where We Used to Live). It's not that it's overpowering or drowns out the rest, it's just that there's too much of it. The strange thing is, even with that amount of bass, the highs still come out clearly. They're just not powerful enough compared to the bass.
- A while later, I switched to classical guitar. Same verdict: too much bass. It's very noticeable here, because they guitar is an instrument that produces a very small and round sound. All the information (volume, tone, coulour etc) is all compacted into that very small round sound. Any deformation of the shape of the sound has very noticeable and negative consequences. Having too much bass makes the sound too "fat" and "clumbsy". It loses a lot of subtlety and gentleness.
- Finally, I went over to Flamenco. That made me notice another not so impressive quality of these headphones: they lack "punch". Flamenco is a quite percussive type of music. The headphones tend to soften the attack on a lot of instruments (guitars and percussions especially). The phones sound too lazy for Flamenco, too slow and smooth. They lack the raw emotion, the "bite" of Flamenco. I checked this out on some rock afterwards and that confirmed my impression: on Dire Straits's Six Blade Knife, the bass line is too soft. Although very loud (lots of bass), the bass lacks punch.

Conclusion:
- I think my experience pretty much confirms the Sennheiser reputation: very warm, nice sounding headphones but made for people who like to relax to a smooth sound. Not for people who like to be right in the middle and have an agressive, in-your-face sound.
- I have to say, on the whole, they are very good phones. A lot better than my dad's old AKGs. When I put them back on, I really noticed how thin and analytical they sounded in comparison.
- However, I'm very annoyed by their lack of sweetness on guitars. I play classical guitar and the AKGs were great for that. They gave a really sweet and true sound. The 595s are a bit clumbsy. You hear the hands, the noises, the recording hiss, everything, it's just that the guitar is not really there as it's supposed to be.
- I read somewhere, AKGs are famous for being good in the mid range and have little bass. That can explain my impressions since I've been listening to AKGs all my life.

So, to conclude the conlusion: very good phones but not really for me - which is a shame.

Jun 6, 2006 at 6:54 PM Post #2 of 13
Before you decide to sell, burn them in. If you are listening straight out of the box, these aren't going to sound as good as they do with 150-200+ hours on them. After reading your disappointments with the phones, it looks like this would solve a lot of your issues with it.

Jun 6, 2006 at 7:01 PM Post #3 of 13
Thanks for the advice upangel180.

I have no plans at all to sell them. As I said, they are good phones. They will take some getting used to, especially for me. I'll see how they develop with time.

What aspects of the sound signature do you think evolve the most with burn in?

I imagine that topic has been discussed quite a bit already. I'll have a look round for info.

Cheers,
Piffles.

Jun 6, 2006 at 7:15 PM Post #4 of 13
He seems like a perfect fit for some AKG K501's... or maybe some grado sr 225's.

Jun 6, 2006 at 7:28 PM Post #5 of 13
Sounds like an Alessandro headphone might have been a good fit for you. Not as aggressive as the other Grados, yet still has that characteristic of bringing out the best in guitar music. Acoustic Folk, Classical, Clean Electric, Overdriven-Distorted Electric. You name it.

Jun 6, 2006 at 7:32 PM Post #6 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by StealthR6
He seems like a perfect fit for some AKG K501's... or maybe some grado sr 225's.

Yeah my SR225's compliment my 595's great when I need a more agressive presentation. I swap between these two headphpones all the time because each one is great for some recordings and not so great for others.

Jun 6, 2006 at 8:05 PM Post #7 of 13
I just got a set of HD595's myself (the lovely Magic Red 60th Anniv), and after 50 hours burn in, they did smooth out. They have great detail, and image incredibly well.

I know I am something of a basshead, but I cannot imagine anyone thinking the HD595 have too much bass. Deep bass, yes, but they have a somewhat lighter tonal balance than the HD650, and even than the HD600. Only the HD580 (of all the "high end" Senn cans) has the lighter balance, actually being the most rolled off at both frequency extremes.

Look for yourself.

I actually need to boost the bass a little in order to dig them. But hey, like I said, I am a basshead.

Jun 6, 2006 at 8:16 PM Post #8 of 13
Give them a chance to burn in for awhile. The more you use them the better they sound. When burned in the cans have an amazing amount of detail. The "veil" is not as pronounced as time goes by also.

Jun 6, 2006 at 9:12 PM Post #11 of 13
I might be wrong, having heart the 595s only for a short while, but despite the relatively low impedance of the 595s they are not that easy to drive and will benefit from good amping.
The first thing that happens if a phone doesn't get enough juice is uncontrolled bass.

F.I, I got a pair of 485s and a pairs of PX100s that have 32 ohm imp., just like my Shure E4s. However, awitching from my portable source (Sony NW-HD1, not-eurocapped) to the same source through a MF X-canV3 the Sens clean up considerably, the Shures remain unchanced.

Jun 6, 2006 at 9:33 PM Post #12 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by upangel180
The "punch" still won't be there after burn-in, but the bass should become more tame. Overall, they are a very balanced headphone.

I agree that they're very balanced. Bass on mine was more controlled after burn-in and amplification has added some additional strength and tightness to it. IME the punch comes with good amplification as well. Bass impact has definitely improved with the addition Aria, not up to the level of my 225s but very acceptable.

(mine are 120 Ohm FWIW)

Ant

Jun 7, 2006 at 3:31 AM Post #13 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by Skylab
I just got a set of HD595's myself (the lovely Magic Red 60th Anniv), and after 50 hours burn in, they did smooth out. They have great detail, and image incredibly well.

I agree with the 50hrs mark. Pre50 hrs, they don't sound good at all. Once passed approx 50hrs burning in, I've noticed slightly better clarity and details. They opened up a little more. I think these Senns need approx 200 hrs to sound its best.

I also think that they really need an amp despite its low impedence. Unamp=flat boring muffled sound. Amp them and they'll come alive.

I got those magic reds too!
very_evil_smiley.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back