Just got my Sennheiser HD-280s
Nov 10, 2002 at 1:41 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 36

JGene

New Head-Fier
I've been lurking on this forum for the past 3-4 weeks and I finally decided to post after I got myself a pair of Sennheiser HD-280s. I haven't burned them in, but they look like a really nice set of headphones. Yeah, I know there's better stuff out there, but I'm still a university student.

I'll also be getting a Super-Mini V3 hopefully next week, so I'll burn them both in together. Man are these headphones nice
biggrin.gif
I was only using a pair of Aiwa HP-CN5 Noise Cancelling phones before this. This is my first foray into higher-end headphones.
smily_headphones1.gif

Nov 10, 2002 at 3:32 AM Post #2 of 36
Congratulations ! And Welcome to Head-Fi ! Sorry about your wallet ! (standard greeting
biggrin.gif
)

If you do a search you'll find plenty of info (and opinions) about your 280s. Opinions on burn in times vary as well, 50, 75, even 100 hrs. Enjoy !

smily_headphones1.gif

Nov 10, 2002 at 6:33 AM Post #3 of 36
Yeah, I've been looking at figuring out the best way to burn in the headphones--I was guessing that 40 hours would suffice, but I guess I'll need to go longer to get the best results. Good thing to know that the headphones will improve through usage
smily_headphones1.gif

Can't wait for the Super Mini V3 to come in, but last time I talked to Fixup, he said the digital volume controls should be in next week.

Nov 10, 2002 at 11:57 PM Post #6 of 36
The clarity of these headphones are really amazing. I can hear individual musical instruments when you use them.

I'm about 1/3 the way through burning them in. I plugged the headphone into my sound card and let it run over night. After 15 hours of non-stop music, the headphones are definately comming along. The highs are starting to level out and the bass is definately getting to be punchier. I'll still continue to burn them in for another 48-72 hours and see how they progress.

I'll be using these headphones primarily for music, video games and watching TV. I won't be using them for any music production, but I'm willing to bet these would work great for them. If you are in a silent room, the drivers isolate your ears from the outside world well enough to hear your own heartbeat.

I highly reccomend these
smily_headphones1.gif

Nov 11, 2002 at 2:27 AM Post #8 of 36
I'm so happy with my 280s, that I had to take a pic [my new avatar] (using a tripod, Polaroid and scanner) of myself wearing them to share with everyone. The pained expression on my face is not because I dislike my 280s, but because I soiled my Depends, twice, and I had wait 5 hours for my fiancé to get off work to change them for me. And, no, I'm not helpless, but she's a practical nurse in a nursing home, so she's used to the chore. Furthermore, she insists. She says she's into scat, whatever the hell that is, and, moreover, I rather enjoy it. The cleaning process, that is, not the waiting with soiled Depends. The only good thing about the wait is that I don't have to sit on a pile of cusions to reach my computer's keyboard.
biggrin.gif

Later.

Nov 11, 2002 at 3:15 AM Post #9 of 36
Mark2002, you'll really like these headphones. Each time I listen to them after I've let them run for a while, they sound even better. In order to actually hear the difference, listen to about 10 songs when you first get them. Burn them in overnight and listen to the change in bass. Keep doing that and you'll be pleased with the results.

So far I've burned in my headphones for about 19 hours...still another 50 to go
wink.gif

Nov 11, 2002 at 3:45 AM Post #10 of 36
Quote:

Originally posted by geraco
She says she's into scat, whatever the hell that is, and, moreover, I rather enjoy it.

Ummm.... maybe I should just leave this one alone...

Funny how scientific terms can become used for non-scientific means... when I was doing field research on mammals it was always scat-this or scat-that... nowadays people might be getting the wrong idea about what we were researching...

Nov 11, 2002 at 5:24 AM Post #11 of 36
One must have a "Swiftian" sense of humour in order "get" the humour in my previous post. I majored in both English and Indian Studies, and the term comes up with unusual non-scientific regularity in both disciplines, particularily in the works of Jonathan Swift and First Nation (Trickster) literature. I took a class on Swift in college last year, and it still tears me up when I think of it.

The picture, I must admit, inspired me to write what I did. I took one look at it and said, "****, what the hell is that?" Anyway, I created the avatar and slapped a pair of 280s on it, and I just let 'er fly.

If I have insulted your moral integrity, I apologize.

Nov 11, 2002 at 5:41 AM Post #12 of 36
Quote:

Anyway, I created the avatar and slapped a pair of 280s on it, and I just let 'er fly.

I gotta make my own Avatar in photoshop--it's been a while since I've done any tinkering in it, but I've done some good stuff in the past.

I noticed your profile says your from Canada--what part? I'll be going up to Edmonton, AB in January to visit a friend.

Nov 11, 2002 at 6:43 AM Post #14 of 36
JGene, I used Paint Shop Pro to create the avatar. I only wish that I had Photoshop. I used Photoshop quite often in college, but I can only afford PSP these days. I did some work editing and cleaning up audio tape (field interviews) for the science department this past summer. They installed CEP v2 on my computer so that I could do the work at home (yes, I still have it
wink.gif
). One of the profs said he'd give me an older copy (v6 or 601) of Photoshop because they recently upgraded their software, and I think I'll take him up on it.

Oh yes, you'll probably pass me on your way to Edmonton because I live in Regina.

Oops!
redface.gif
I just noticed that you live in California, so you won't be passing me on you way to Edmonton.

Later.

Nov 11, 2002 at 6:45 AM Post #15 of 36
Quote:

If I have insulted your moral integrity, I apologize.

Oh, it'll take quite a bit more to insult my sense of morality
evil_smiley.gif
. And that is a pretty neat avatar. Reminds me of something Richard D. James (Aphex Twin) might do... actually, it does kind of look like a turd with hd280's on. lucky POS.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back