Just got my new HD-595's!
May 28, 2004 at 1:11 PM Post #16 of 37
Quote:

Originally Posted by mega
Not at all. They are brighter than the 600's, but to me, they aren't too bright.

Live music is always bright. I love my V6, HD25-1, ER4S....always bright...always right.

May 28, 2004 at 1:44 PM Post #17 of 37
Hey terrible when do you get your 595s, any idea? I too am making the transition from the 497s and have been waiting patiently over how the 555s compare to the 595s. Seems to me the 650s need an amp to best the 595s...

May 28, 2004 at 3:48 PM Post #18 of 37
I have a HD-595 now...borrowed one from Nightwoundstime. It was very nice with the PPA and the Woo Audio 1.

BUT

It really sounded glorious with the Rudistor. (in direct comparison with the PPA and Woo).

Still not my kind of sound but not bad at all for around $200.00. I would need to listen to a ATH A-900 before I can say which one is a better deal...but if the A900 wants to be better then it has to be one helluva headphone.

Those of you with the HD-595...use copper interconnects and see if it makes any difference to the top end. I used silver and it was unbearable with the PPA - not bad with the Rudistor. With copper it settles down into a 600ish sound with a more frontal presentation and faster sound.

I think the 595 goes very well with a tube amp...

May 28, 2004 at 7:47 PM Post #20 of 37
Definitely. Punchy bass...not deep bass...there is depth but there is no body at those levels - you can hear it...I must say...this second time round with the 595 and I am pretty pleased with it...must be the new Rudistor and the PPA's effect...not bad at all...

The PPA is pretty bassy on its own...mates well with the HD-595...dont need to use the Bass boost at all...

Cheers!

May 28, 2004 at 8:01 PM Post #22 of 37
^^Thats great to hear. With some more bass, i feel that this headphone would be perfect in everyway for me. Oh, and by the way, the 595's are the best looking phones ive seen so far (650's look pretty good also..don't have em though) They are downright sexy, and look very cool. They were also MUCH smaller than i thought they would be.

May 28, 2004 at 8:08 PM Post #23 of 37
Arent they soooo comfortable?

Somehow they dont work in the night...the headband is a bit slippy and slide off my head backwards
tongue.gif
I still use them though...

They have deeper earcups than the HD6XX. My pinnae dont touch the driver cover.

Try opening them up - you will see that by removing the driver cover you get a slightly improved sound. You can also see how sennheiser has angled the drivers on these headphones.

This will also give you an opportunity to study the internals and see if you want to do a cable upgrade at some point of time using straightwire insulated silver stereo cable. I want my own Senn HD-650 cables...working on them now...

Just pull at the earpads and they will snap right off. The driver cover can be easily removed (they'll just fall off).

Cheers!

May 29, 2004 at 6:39 AM Post #24 of 37
Reck45 I wish I knew. It was going to be a month ago until the factory caught on fire and the shipment never left as was intended. But let me say that the 555's leave the 497's for dead and are sooooooo comfortable.
gsferrari now that you have the 595's again are they seriously only about 10% better than the 555's or has your opinion of them changed.Also without an amp would you prefer the 650.....595 or 555.

May 29, 2004 at 7:09 AM Post #25 of 37
Without an amp - 555 or 595. I have unfortunately NEVER managed to have both the 555 and 595 under my roof at the same time. I will on the 25th of June when we have our HeadFi meet...maybe even before that when Headroom sends me the gear for the meet...

but the 650 is terrible without an amp and terrible with most "sub-par" amps...

I am back to using the HD-595 for games...something about them makes them perfect for games
eek.gif
its the positional audio and the "frontal" sound which is very realistic when you play an FPS...everything IS in front of you when you look at your screen right?
wink.gif

Sweet
cool.gif

May 29, 2004 at 7:47 AM Post #26 of 37
For me, the 595's definetly do not need an amp. I sold my amp and i am currently waiting on getting a new one. In the meantime, im using the 595's straight from my soundcard...and they sound great. They can even be too loud for me at times.

May 29, 2004 at 9:09 AM Post #27 of 37
I'm an Australian who was patiently waiting on the 595s to make their debut, but when their shipment was further delayed, I want for the 600s. Got a great deal, too. Got them for the same price as the 595 RRP.

As far as listening goes, I'm using them on a pretty crappy setup, but to my ears, they are plenty bright enough and I don't think I'd want cans with much less bass. So it seems I made the right decision. But I will still check out the 595s when I get the chance.

I am also hoping that Sennheiser release a higher quality successor to the 595 in the future.

May 29, 2004 at 9:59 AM Post #28 of 37
Yeah gsferrari the 555's are also great for games. I almost shat myself in Farcry before so I've come back here for a while.
Chiasticslide I have or had the same offer from Wickeddigital but can't decide. I am still inclined to wait for the 595's or consider the 650's but no amp seems like poor sound according to all the experts here.( I just can,t help but think I'm missing out on something if I don,t get the 650's) But I think substituting the 600's was a fair offer on Steve's behalf to keep his clients happy under the circumstances. In the interim $165 was a bargain for the 555's, that's $48 cheaper than wickeds price and they are the cheapest price I can find in Oz on the net.

May 29, 2004 at 12:15 PM Post #29 of 37
Quote:

Originally Posted by gsferrari
Without an amp - 555 or 595. I have unfortunately NEVER managed to have both the 555 and 595 under my roof at the same time.

Eh?

You were so firm that there was no difference before and said that was based on head-to-head testing. What's going on????

http://www5.head-fi.org/forums/showp...8&postcount=25
Quote:

I heard them both and there was ZERO difference over a number of tests.

and

http://www5.head-fi.org/forums/showp...4&postcount=28
Quote:

Strange isnt it
cool.gif

I will do a blind AB when I have the 555 AND the 595 in house again...The last time I did a blind AB I was very sure there was no telling them apart. We even placed a towel on my head so that I wouldnt be able to tell from the different "feel" of the headband.

Its not "ODD" really...the mind can play funny games with you when you know what you "expect" to hear. I am not sure if Jan or Tyll did a blind AB between the two and even if they did - I trust my ears better than theirs and definitely more than a few charts made by the manufacturer or by anybody else. There is no perfect measuring system and all these charts have to be taken with a grain of salt...maybe more than a grain of salt
wink.gif

May 29, 2004 at 2:25 PM Post #30 of 37
I should have been clearer :-

The last time is a different round - different set of equipment. THIS time I have not been able to nail both of them at the same time to check out with my current set of equipment. I now have the HD-595 and no HD-555...should have the HD-555 soon...

Take it for what its worth
wink.gif
Im not here to lie on a stupid forums...what have I got to lose/gain
confused.gif

Nice going Earwax
wink.gif
Didnt you read the second quote you quoted properly? But then again - I doubt you read any of my posts in detail.

Why dont you go dig up some more and come up with something else
eggosmile.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back