Just got my new HD-595's!
May 29, 2004 at 3:40 PM Post #31 of 37
Quote:

Originally Posted by gsferrari
I should have been clearer :-

The last time is a different round - different set of equipment. THIS time I have not been able to nail both of them at the same time to check out with my current set of equipment. I now have the HD-595 and no HD-555...should have the HD-555 soon...

Take it for what its worth
wink.gif
Im not here to lie on a stupid forums...what have I got to lose/gain
confused.gif

Nice going Earwax
wink.gif
Didnt you read the second quote you quoted properly? But then again - I doubt you read any of my posts in detail.

Why dont you go dig up some more and come up with something else
eggosmile.gif

I didn't accuse you of lying. I was pointing out that something didn't make sense.

I see the problem now. NEVER, even spelled out in capital letters, doesn't actually mean never. Yeah, I can see now that it's my reading comprehension that's the problem.
rolleyes.gif

[that last sentance was sacasm - for those who couldn't tell]

May 29, 2004 at 5:07 PM Post #32 of 37
Yeah whatever...
rolleyes.gif

Worst part is I had the 555 just two days before I borrowed nightwoundstime's 595...now the 555 is back with my friend and I am waiting for him to ship it back to me. Nuts!

Has anybody else opened up their HD-595 yet? Get a good look at the driver...Do you also see "Sennheiser-2" extruded on the transparent film?

May 30, 2004 at 2:33 AM Post #33 of 37
Quote:

I think the 595 goes very well with a tube amp...

This is an interesting comment. I'd been using the 595 with a Marantz PM80SE until a couple of days ago when I swapped over to an older Lux L200. I didn't change out of dissatisfaction, but simply because it seemed silly running a huge 110W amp just for headphones, and efficient headphones at that. But the point is, the seller claimed the Lux had a very tube-like sound and he was right--I've never heard anything more tube-like that wasn't tubed: huge bass, very controlled, fatigue-less treble and very natural midrange. What I'm coming to of course is how much better it suits the 595 than the Marantz. There's now no hint of brightness. I seriously don't believe anyone would find this phone bright used with the Lux. So all these arguments about it's too bright/it's just right probably have as much to do with the amp as personal preference or hearing accuity. I must say I'm surprised that two integrated amps from commercial manufacturers could sound so different; the Lux sounds like it was made specifically for the 595. Oh well, there's a tip for you Ebay watchers. Maybe it's got something to do with that duo-beta circuitry, whatever that may be.
confused.gif

May 30, 2004 at 2:50 AM Post #34 of 37
I am using the Rudistor and I dont find it too bright. At least its not the CD3000 bright...more like the Grado bright
eek.gif

Which reminds me - paired with the WOO Audio 1 amplifier it sounds VERY sweet indeed...musical...light...um...elf-like / fairy-like sound (for the lack of better audio terms
tongue.gif
)

I can classify the sound as light and effortless. Sort of like the Stax sound really without the speed of the Stax. And everytime I switch back to the HD-650 I feel cloaked in a heavy blanket of sound layering...which reminds me why I preferred the HD-650 to the HD-595...

That said - I think I have re-discovered the HD-595 and although I still find it to be a little thin on bass - its certainly not as bad as I once thought. With certain amplifiers it definitely sounds better...and I think I briefly experienced this before in my "Hd-595 listening impressions" thread...

Lets not discuss price and value for money here - from a audio standpoint it is a good headphone
cool.gif

I think it is more "livewithable" than the Sony CD3000
eek.gif
(awaiting the death blow from sovkiller
tongue.gif
)

May 30, 2004 at 2:53 AM Post #35 of 37
pp312 - you want to be shocked even more?

Try the HD-595 with a Marantz 1060B or 1060A ($80.00 on ebay these days and $100 in flawless condition from certain online stores). You will ROCK till you drop!!

Forget sound quality for a few minutes and just focus on enjoyment - the Marantz has a bass/treble EQ and Bass Boost (Loudness). I pumped everything as far as I could tolerate and I was amazed...nice sound (not bad even by audiophile standards) and thumping good bass.

The Marantz is solid state by the way...brilliant...

(the grado sr-60 sounded EVEN better with the marantz...bigger bass than the 595 - but for a 595 owner...you will find bass like you have never heard before)

May 30, 2004 at 7:06 AM Post #36 of 37
Quote:

pp312 - you want to be shocked even more?

Try the HD-595 with a Marantz 1060B or 1060A ($80.00 on ebay these days and $100 in flawless condition from certain online stores). You will ROCK till you drop!!

Thanks for the tip. There's a 1060 on OZ Ebay right now starting at $50 AU but I have enough old amps right now (I've even got one stuffed under the bed!) and the Lux is just about unbeatable as a partner for the 595. As for rocking, I can't really imagine it, but I will have a little grin at the thought as I settle back to listen to Vaughan Williams' fifth symphony in my favourite recliner. Ah yes, to be 22 again. Or even 32. Or 42. Or even....oh hell....
rolleyes.gif

May 30, 2004 at 7:00 PM Post #37 of 37
I just got my 595's a week and a half ago and I am on the side of them definitely not being too bright. Since I was getting ready to buy the 595's, I put my old 570's, which I used on my computer primarilly for comfort reasons, in a drawer to wait for my friend to buy them. I had just put the Senn414 pads on my Grados SR-80s, so while waiting on the 595 purchase, I used those for about 2 months since they aren't nearly as annoying to wear any more, and have much better sound.

Basically, I've always loved the grado sound, and getting the HD595's was a blessing with that it mind. It isn't quite as "forward" as the grados, but it's close, and the sound is a wonderful match with the comfort of Senn. I have no doubt that the 595's are going to keep me happy for a long time - they are the best headphones I have owned, and fit my listenning preferences well.

I was also surprised at the small size of the headphones, they seem dwarfed by some of the older Senn models. A lot of this seems to be the slimness of the driver casing.

Also I like the new connection for the cable. Hopefully this will be the final revision Senn needs to make for it's cable connections to be both high quality and reliable, while still being user replacible.

And yes, as many have said, they are very easy to drive. They even work well on my ipod, though like the 280pro's they are a little bass light on that device without using bass boost (which makes the music sound like crap, the ipod has one of the worst digi eq's I've heard) or an amp. Based on my experience I think it would be usable on other portables just fine unamped, though this is way overkill for a portable, at least outside the house.
biggrin.gif

If I had one complaint, yes, they really should have reversed the 1/4" - 1/8" adapter to match the rest of their equipment, or at least supplied a cable adapter like Grado instead of a fat jack-bender. It just makes more sense with current generation listenning habits, especially for a headphone that works so well unamped. Now I'm going to spend another $15 on an adapter or $40 on a good extension (more likely). If someone has suggestions on a quality 1/8" extension for a good price, let me know, I'm pretty tapped out on toy buying at the moment.
smily_headphones1.gif

dev

Users who are viewing this thread

Back