Just got my hd600 grills!
Feb 26, 2008 at 1:48 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 31

MatsudaMan

aka JohannesBrahms, KittlesLittles, Bigglesworth.
I just got them in the mail and installed them on my hd580's (really easy to snap on), and I have to say that I'm really impressed and delighted with the difference they make! I made sure to listen to them before I put the new grills on so that I'd be able to better compare. The first thing I noticed was a greater sense of air and ease in the sound - instruments seemed to 'breathe' more easily. For example, orchestral strings seemed to resonate better. It sounded as if, before the grill change, the sound was slightly muffled, and with the hd600 grills, everything opened up to a degree.

So, now that I have the hd650 cables and hd600 grills, how far am I really from the sound of the original hd600? I'm just excited and satisfied to be able to tweak the sound for so cheap - the grills were less than 4 dollars/each and the cable was like 15 bucks! Sweet.

Feb 26, 2008 at 1:54 AM Post #3 of 31
That's cool, the grills are on backorder right now so I can't wait for it to come to try them out. I don't expect any change in sound, I mainly got them for aesthetic reasons but if they give a more 'airy' sound to it then great.

Feb 26, 2008 at 2:00 AM Post #4 of 31
I just got a hd650 cable (and now a Dowin DW12) for my hd600. One thing I noticed with the new 650 cable is that it used to pick up a static white noise from my USB MicroDAC when the computer was off. It's as if the impedence is higher (sort of like IEM hiss) with the new cable OR perhaps it's just blacker during moments of silence. Have you experienced anything like this?

Feb 26, 2008 at 2:01 AM Post #5 of 31
Yes, we demand pics!!
eggosmile.gif

A couple weeks ago I did the mod on my HD 650 where the foam behind the driver is removed and I instantly heard a difference(which I liked). More recently two other Head-Fi members gave a quick listen to my HD 650 and both agreed (they both own unmodded HD 650 for reference)...I modded one of theirs on the spot!

I'm wondering, is there a similar piece of foam behind the driver on the HD 580 and HD 600?

Feb 26, 2008 at 2:03 AM Post #6 of 31
pics coming very shortly.

Feb 26, 2008 at 2:05 AM Post #7 of 31
Quote:

Originally Posted by GreatDane /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'm wondering, is there a similar piece of foam behind the driver on the HD 580 and HD 600?

Yes there is a small circular foam behind the driver. It looks like it will be hard to put it back in if it is removed.

How will the sound be like after the removal?

Feb 26, 2008 at 2:13 AM Post #8 of 31
Here they are:

Feb 26, 2008 at 3:11 AM Post #11 of 31
Quote:

Originally Posted by thische /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Yes there is a small circular foam behind the driver. It looks like it will be hard to put it back in if it is removed.

How will the sound be like after the removal?

Thanks for the reply.

Basically I hear a wider/more open soundstage and in general, a cleaner sound.

Feb 26, 2008 at 2:36 PM Post #13 of 31
It's maybe just me but I'd like to change to HD600 grills just because HD580 ones are just ugly.
smily_headphones1.gif

Feb 26, 2008 at 3:25 PM Post #15 of 31
Quote:

Originally Posted by kejar31 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
LOL x2

ha ha No doubt about that......

Users who are viewing this thread

Back