Just got my HD380's in the mail today......
Aug 31, 2011 at 10:51 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

Waveboy

New Head-Fier
And I'm really dissapointed.....I've been comparing them with my HD555's for the past 2 hours now and it really makes me appreciate how great the HD555's truly are. Now here's what I love about the HD380's....The Sound leakage is next to nothing when you have them fit tight(that's how they are, either you'll love it or hate it) and snug on your head, it's even greater than i expected and it's exactly what i wanted and more. They also feel really comfortable, tight and sturdy. PLUS they offer great sound isolation as well....And design wise they're pretty sleak.
cool.gif

However, the sound just isn't quite up to snuff compared to the HD555's. I tested them both out on a few DVD's, Toy Story 3 on Bluray, the Wii(Super Mario Galaxy, Castlevania ReBirth, the Home Menu ect ect) and some music....And the 380's 'sound stage' is lacking....the mid's and high's just arent there in comparison, it doesn't sound that natural at all, kind of closed in, mildy mildy echoey and sem-flat....With kind of a boomier bass effect. Where as the HD555's offer a fantastic completely natural grand scale quality of sound with crystal clear mids and high's and feels more immersive and pleasing to the ears.

Also, when i was playing around with my Wii, i noticed some of the SFX, like for clicking right and left in the Home menu was totaly off....it sounding horrible, muddy and flat. I just couldn't get into the games i was playing because of the more unatural sound i was getting from the HD380's. Ugh, I was really pumped for the 380's mainly due to the kick ass None existent sound leakege which it definitly HAS...But the sound is a bit worse than i expected....

I'm thinking about returning them and getting the even Better(than the HD555's) HD595's and somehow putting up with the sound leakage.....That's my only problem here, otherwise i would of never went with closed. Ahhh, if only i could get the Audio quality of my HD555's with the 380's 'no sound leakage' and maybe a bit of isolation....
frown.gif

Aug 31, 2011 at 11:32 PM Post #4 of 9

Quote:
Heya,

So... what's your budget?

Denon D2000 is $219 at Buy.com right now.

Very best,

I live in Canada, and I'm guessing BB.com wouldn't ship here. But that's where BB.ca comes in but they don't seem to have the Denon D2000's for sale. As for the D2000, I'm guessing they're closed design. Somebody was saying they offer more of an open quality-like sound to them and they pretty much match the 595's.

The 595's are my last resort, but i'd still rather pay a bit more cash just to get no sound leakage with audio that can match my HD555's.

Sep 1, 2011 at 12:19 AM Post #5 of 9
And this is justtt great. I should of read the returning policy a bit more carefully. Looks like i can't return the HD380's since they'll only refund purchases that have been damaged or if it's flat out the wrong item all together. What a sweet waste of $220(plus shipping of course.lol) I could always sell them on eBay or Craigs list I guess. bummer!

Anyways, I've been reading about the Denon D2000's and many little mini user reviews online and it seems like they completely beat out the HD555's which totaly makes me happy considering they're closed design. Can anybody here back this up? I don't want to make another online purchase that i'll end up regretting....especially with the D2000's since they're pricier.

Sep 1, 2011 at 1:15 AM Post #6 of 9
Is the 555 to 595 really a upgrade in SQ?  I dont think that would be a worthwhile upgrade. Have you removed the foam in your 555s?

I went from 485s, to 555s, to 558s and now I have Ultrasone 900s. The 900s completely destroy every pair of cans through my transition. I was looking at the Denon 2000 and 5000 but decided on the Ultrasone since it seemed to be the most recommended for EDM. No regrets thats for sure. I would like to try the Denons someday though. 

J

Sep 1, 2011 at 1:45 AM Post #7 of 9
Those closed cans you mentioned go for around $550 - $600 brand new CAN off eBay. ;p
I'd love to have a pair of those....I'm sure they easily eclipse the cans you mentioned. But the Denon 2000 seems to be more in my price range.
I was too stuck in Senheiser land to actually even consider another brand.

But knowing me I'd throw down that cash just get that quality sound....

do these cans leak hardly any sound? and What about Isolation as well considering they are closed after all....I dont know, there's no way in hell I'd drop that much for a brand new pair, yet on ebay there are a couple of listings from sellers going for a little over $400...

Sep 1, 2011 at 2:46 AM Post #8 of 9
Can somebody throw down a closed pair of cans that match(Or even suprass it as that would be a bonus) the quality of the HD555's audio wise while leaking hardly any sound?

Somebody mentioned that the Denon 2000's actually do leak quite a bit of sound, so that defeats the purpose of having a closed design. sigh*

Sep 1, 2011 at 3:49 AM Post #9 of 9

Quote:
Is the 555 to 595 really a upgrade in SQ?  I dont think that would be a worthwhile upgrade. Have you removed the foam in your 555s?

I went from 485s, to 555s, to 558s and now I have Ultrasone 900s. The 900s completely destroy every pair of cans through my transition. I was looking at the Denon 2000 and 5000 but decided on the Ultrasone since it seemed to be the most recommended for EDM. No regrets thats for sure. I would like to try the Denons someday though. 

J

If my HD555's plastic weren't cracked to oblivion i wouldn't even bother thinking about upgrading to the HD595's...That, and the cable(which is replacable) is also shredded. I've had those babies for almost 5 years now...The sides of the plastic are now wrapped in tape to hold the bloody mess together.lol

And that's what i mean it would be a little boring just to get the HD555's again as to why i'd rather opt for the mildy superior HD595's....But i know deep down i'll be kicking my self in the ass because they'll end up leaking sound and disturbing others again due to the open design. sigh*

Users who are viewing this thread

Back