Just got my Grados and ATs...
Nov 15, 2012 at 11:51 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 2

darkpen

New Head-Fier
I got my ATH-A700s last week and just got my Grados SR-125i today. Obviously my first step up, my previous cans were ATH-M50s. 
smily_headphones1.gif

So, not sure what to think. I absolutely LOVE the A700s. They're bright, they're crisp... I love the sound and the details. An incredible step up from the M50s.

The Grados though, well... very different! I've been listening to them all day. I'm still not sure what to think. I don't dislike them, in fact, I quite enjoy them... but they're so very different. I find they have more details on certain songs than the A700s. But at the same time it's so different... and I find that I don't necessarily like one more than the other, they're just different.

(yes, I know I keep repeating "different"... but I don't know how else to describe it. The truth is, I don't know the Grado sound, as I had no way to sample it before, but the best way I can describe it is... a great, tight sound? Does that make sense?)

See, that's why my last thread was "Damn you, Head-Fi." The more I listen to the Grados, the more I like them. But every once in a while, depending on the song especially, I miss the sound of the A700s, so I'll go back to them once in a while and love their sound, too. It's hard to describe. It's almost like the A700s seem more... analytical. For sure, the sound seems much wider, which I love, and more neutral. I can tell the Grados have this sound which sounds like, well, recorded music, which is not a bad thing per se, it's just a very enjoyable experience.

Is there a thread which defines all the terms like "soundstage" and whatnot? I'd love to be able to describe what they feel like properly to my ears.

And I want more, dammit! 
dt880smile.png

Now I'm just waiting for my Fiio E7 to arrive, and I'll get a camera kit so I can use it as a DAC/amp combo with both sets. From lurking/reading on here, now I can't wait to hear what they sound like amped.

Oh, and the beyerdynamics I had mentioned in the previous thread I had started... they're DT 770s after all, pretty cheap for here, too. I'm thinking of picking them up (though they have both Pro and Audiophile versions, and I don't know the difference yet--also, can anyone tell me if they're worth buying compared to what I have, or should I just save up and really step up next?).

Oh yes, and they have Inex gear in the back room that I'm just absolutely drooling over. And the owner said to me to just bring some CDs whenever I have time as he doesn't mind if I just sit back and enjoy them until I can afford them. 
dt880smile.png

Yep, I figure I'll just have my paycheck sent directly to him. Then I can really join Head-Fi. 
tongue.gif

Nov 16, 2012 at 1:23 PM Post #2 of 2
I don't own the ATH-A700s but I do have the Grado 125's.  Welcome to a very small group of us Grado 125 owners who don't get much love here on headfi.  The 125's are the red headed step child of the Grado's Prestige line.  Most people start with the SR60's or SR80's then jump to the SR225's as it seems the 125's are in no man's land for sound and it's price: for ~$50 more than the 125's the 225's offer a upgrade in treble refinement and overall balance and ~$50 less than the 125's in the SR80 gets you most of the sound and some say more balance as the 125's have a slightly brighter more forward treble signature than the SR80's.  But I enjoy them but they do require your attention while listening.  You are right on stage with these and they will reward you with up front engaging sound with rock music but at the same time that often leads to their detriment as I get fatigued and wish at times I had a warmer phone like a Senn 650 to engage me less with while enjoying the music.  Perhaps this is what the ATH-A700's do for you, then you have what I'm still looking for. Regarding amping them, I have hooked them up to my O2 amp and while I do hear a slight difference in sound amped, they have a low 32ohm impedance so they don't require an amp to get the most out of them.  Perhaps trying different amps could yield a different sound signature and improve things.  But sounds like you enjoy them so no worries.  Yeah ,be careful - this place will have you buying more equipment in no time. I'm already convinced I need the Senn 650's and a another amp just to run them.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back