Just Got My G5 Ipod!
Oct 21, 2005 at 2:47 AM Post #91 of 119
It's the new clickwheels. I have the same problem with my Nano.. I always miss the mark.. but not only that, adjusting the volume can get pretty annoying after a while.. taking you finger off of the wheel can sometimes cause it to go back to the volume you had it at before you adjusted it.. they should've stuck with the old ones.. worked much better.

Oct 21, 2005 at 10:34 AM Post #93 of 119
Yes, mine is sluggish as well and it's annoying. Scrolling through lists isn't as smooth as other iPods. It seems to lag only when music is playing, which happens to be most of the time if I'm using it.

On a good note, I finally got around to doing some listening tests. Yes, the 5G iPod sounds better than the 4G iPod color! Bass isn't heavy, but it's easily noticably better, more umph and warmer. It can be said the iPod color sounds shrill compared to the new iPod. Also, everything sounds cleaner and crisper. I was very surprised because I couldn't tell the difference between the 4G iPod color and iPod nano, but with the 5G it was easy to pick out the improvements. I was testing using Shure e3c by the way, if that helps any.

There are some audio glitches that I've been experiencing too. When I start to play an album, there is a blip in the music if I change the volume right when the song starts playing. This happens a lot for me since I tend to change the volume right after a track starts playing since the volume varies between albums I play. Firmware update will fix the bug, so no worries here.

I have to say it again, but the screen is the best I have ever seen, though I haven't seen many PDAs recently to compare to them. It has high resolution and small size, and thus high density, so everything is razor sharp. The screen is very bright and visible at 160 degrees from all angles, and it doesn't turn negative like with the iPod color when viewed from the side. Blacks are deep and don't have a glow/shine effect like the iPod color and other cheap LCDs.

The battery meter is woefully off. I've been using it for no more than an hour and it's down 1/6. Others have reported the same. Again, another big to be fixed.

Mine also came pre-scratched
mad.gif
There are two small blobs over the screen that look like permanent fingerprints, as though the plastic wasn't polished completely. They'rel visible under light at an angle, so I'll live with it. I doubt an exchange would be any better, and I don't want to deal with dead pixels.

Despite my initial thoughts, video on the iPod isn't bad. It's a nice feature and usable. The screen is sharp, so artifacts and poor color gradients I see in videos on my computer don't appear on the iPod. The deep blacks the LCD can display helps. Reading credits is easy, as would subtitles I suspect. Videos in widescreen are watchable, but on the point of being too small. But there are bugs too. I have experienced pauses during playback when the hard drive spins up. Playback and scrubbing is sluggish, though I don't think it's a big issue.

I'm pretty satisfied so far
smily_headphones1.gif

Oct 21, 2005 at 1:12 PM Post #94 of 119
Quote:

Originally Posted by Taphil
Yes, mine is sluggish as well and it's annoying. Scrolling through lists isn't as smooth as other iPods. It seems to lag only when music is playing, which happens to be most of the time if I'm using it.

On a good note, I finally got around to doing some listening tests. Yes, the 5G iPod sounds better than the 4G iPod color! Bass isn't heavy, but it's easily noticably better, more umph and warmer. It can be said the iPod color sounds shrill compared to the new iPod. Also, everything sounds cleaner and crisper. I was very surprised because I couldn't tell the difference between the 4G iPod color and iPod nano, but with the 5G it was easy to pick out the improvements. I was testing using Shure e3c by the way, if that helps any.

There are some audio glitches that I've been experiencing too. When I start to play an album, there is a blip in the music if I change the volume right when the song starts playing. This happens a lot for me since I tend to change the volume right after a track starts playing since the volume varies between albums I play. Firmware update will fix the bug, so no worries here.

I have to say it again, but the screen is the best I have ever seen, though I haven't seen many PDAs recently to compare to them. It has high resolution and small size, and thus high density, so everything is razor sharp. The screen is very bright and visible at 160 degrees from all angles, and it doesn't turn negative like with the iPod color when viewed from the side. Blacks are deep and don't have a glow/shine effect like the iPod color and other cheap LCDs.

The battery meter is woefully off. I've been using it for no more than an hour and it's down 1/6. Others have reported the same. Again, another big to be fixed.

Mine also came pre-scratched
mad.gif
There are two small blobs over the screen that look like permanent fingerprints, as though the plastic wasn't polished completely. They'rel visible under light at an angle, so I'll live with it. I doubt an exchange would be any better, and I don't want to deal with dead pixels.

Despite my initial thoughts, video on the iPod isn't bad. It's a nice feature and usable. The screen is sharp, so artifacts and poor color gradients I see in videos on my computer don't appear on the iPod. The deep blacks the LCD can display helps. Reading credits is easy, as would subtitles I suspect. Videos in widescreen are watchable, but on the point of being too small. But there are bugs too. I have experienced pauses during playback when the hard drive spins up. Playback and scrubbing is sluggish, though I don't think it's a big issue.

I'm pretty satisfied so far
smily_headphones1.gif

Nice too hear your impressions
biggrin.gif

How is the EQ ? Better than 4G ?

Oct 21, 2005 at 8:02 PM Post #97 of 119
My order just changed from processing to preparing shipment, when the original estimated ship date was Oct. 25. I ordered both the iPod and the camera connector last Friday night and the camera connector went to preparing shipment on Monday I believe and shipped the next day. Does anyone know if Apple ships out on Saturdays? Because it would be awesome if they did
biggrin.gif
. Anyways, sorry for the pointless post, but I just had to share my excitement after seeing the status change from processing this morning to preparing shipment this afternoon. Now this only means more obsessive checking of my order status on applestore.com
blink.gif

Oct 21, 2005 at 8:50 PM Post #98 of 119
Happy Songs for Happy People got here yesterday, and I should have pics up of it's glorious 60gig blackness later today, or tomorrow, depending on how drunk I get between 4 and 8pm.

along those lines, what did people name their iPods?

Oct 21, 2005 at 9:04 PM Post #99 of 119
If by name you mean the engraving on the back, I put my name and email address, just in case in the event it is lost and an honest non-thief picks it up I may be able to get it back. I cannot imagine misplacing this thing as it will be babied like no other
tongue.gif

Oct 23, 2005 at 2:15 AM Post #101 of 119
Quote:

Originally Posted by outsidelookingin
can anyone detect any skipping on VBR tracks?

So could you watch a full length video and not be terribly annoyed?

I plan on ordering a 30gb black tomorrow. I have already started converting Ali G into mpeg4.

Oct 23, 2005 at 9:47 PM Post #105 of 119
Quote:

Originally Posted by wnewport
So could you watch a full length video and not be terribly annoyed?

I plan on ordering a 30gb black tomorrow. I have already started converting Ali G into mpeg4.

I watch movies on my 5g all the time now and I love it. I watch at school and when I'm in my bed trying to fall asleep...its very convenient. And believe it or not, the fact that it is on such a small screen doesn't bother me at all. You get used to it. The only thing that bugs me is that if you watch a movie, then it completely kills the battery life.

Regards,
Dan

Users who are viewing this thread

Back