Just got my first virus
Jun 5, 2008 at 3:22 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 22

nibiyabi

Headphoneus Supremus
I've been using computers anywhere from 10-40 hours per week since I was 5 years old (21 now), and I just got my first virus. Lame. Oh well, AVG cleaned it up in a jiffy -- what's everyone's personal record for going without a virus? Linux and Mac OS users don't count.
tongue.gif

Jun 5, 2008 at 3:31 PM Post #4 of 22
334px-Tux.svg.png

_b689-Mac_OS_X_10_5_Leopard.jpg

I don't count.

But for the record, the last time I dealt with a virus was in 1989. On a personal machine, that is. No comment on the garbage I've dealt with in the workplace.

And the Linux box hasn't been down in 36 months... really should update to the latest Fedora one of these days.

Jun 5, 2008 at 3:57 PM Post #5 of 22
That worm that made a protection error in the original XP release restart the computer after about 45 seconds, I've had to clean that a couple of times. Blasterworm was it called?

Jun 5, 2008 at 4:29 PM Post #7 of 22
Quote:

Originally Posted by krmathis /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Congratulations!
tongue.gif

I was going to say the same thing.
tongue.gif

Nibiyabi: I'll bet Jude sent you the virus for questioning his decision to leave the ads on the left.
wink.gif

Jun 5, 2008 at 5:47 PM Post #9 of 22
My sister decided that searching for a spyware software on google, and downloading the first option, was smart. Took me about 5 hours of work before I got rid of it. I basically went thru multiple hijackthis logs and eventually had to manually delete all the multiplied files that the virus had created. It was crazy... It changed the backgrounds, constant popups, random restarts....

Personally I havent had any major viruses. I guess most of them are recieved from surfing on pr0n or not-so legal sites.

Jun 5, 2008 at 9:31 PM Post #14 of 22
About time! Congratulations.

Jun 5, 2008 at 10:10 PM Post #15 of 22
Quote:

Originally Posted by Duggeh /img/forum/go_quote.gif
That worm that made a protection error in the original XP release restart the computer after about 45 seconds, I've had to clean that a couple of times. Blasterworm was it called?

That was the last one I got hit with. After that, I actually took a vested interest in keeping my computers clean and virus-free and haven't had one since.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back