Just got my first turntable!
Mar 5, 2007 at 7:37 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

Chiliman

500+ Head-Fier
So, a friend of mines' father has taken me under his wing into the world of audiophilia so it seems and has given me a turntable and phonostage.

With a box full of my mothers records I found in our garage, I have entered the realm of vinyl.

I must say, this has been a fun journey so far. I think that vinyl has more character than CDs do. The little pops and cracks (yes, I know that means the record is dirty) seem to make listening more fun.

IMO it sounds pretty darn good, considering the only other source I have at this point is my pc with my terrible sounding Audigy sound card.

The turntable he gave me is a Technics SL-3300, and the phono stage is a NAD PP-2.

I am under the impression the the phono stage is pretty decent, but can anyone throw in some knowledge about this turntable? Is it even decent? How does it compare to the SL-1200?

Mar 5, 2007 at 9:56 AM Post #2 of 8
I don't know anything about your turntable, but here are good suggestions for cleaning your records:

http://www.artsandmedia.com/lpclean.html

I'm saving up for a commercial record cleaner, but have used several of the DIY methods so far. They work well, and when properly cleaned, the discs sound like it.

What kind of cartridge are you using?

Mar 5, 2007 at 3:28 PM Post #3 of 8
Quote:

Originally Posted by Chiliman /img/forum/go_quote.gif

The turntable he gave me is a Technics SL-3300, and the phono stage is a NAD PP-2.

I am under the impression the the phono stage is pretty decent, but can anyone throw in some knowledge about this turntable? Is it even decent? How does it compare to the SL-1200?

Havn't seen that particular one in the flesh but it looks like a highly automated version of the SL1200 with all manner of repeat funtions and suchlike. I'd say it must have cost a fair bit back in '78 when it came out.

This is a mixed blessing because it means you won't be able to do much in the way of upgrading it but as it stands so long as all this stuff is still working it should be a cool deck to use and pretty rare and collectable to boot.

Programmable track selection is very seldom found on turntables per se and as Technics generally didn't do things by halves (at least not in 1978) I'd guess it's probably very well executed and should sound very good.

The best upgrade you can perform when you have some spare cash is probably to get hold of an ADC magnesium headshell and a Denon High Output MC cart. The DL160 or 110 should work well enough with your NAD.

The manual of your deck can be downloaded here

http://www.vinylengine.com/library_m..._model=SL-3300

and there is also a Technics forum where I'm sure you'll find someone who knows more about this deck than anyone here.

Mar 5, 2007 at 5:37 PM Post #4 of 8
Quote:

Originally Posted by Uncle Erik /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I don't know anything about your turntable, but here are good suggestions for cleaning your records:

http://www.artsandmedia.com/lpclean.html

Thanks for the link Erik, I've added it to my del.icio.us bookmarks.

Mar 7, 2007 at 9:12 AM Post #6 of 8
good god, i am addicted, in the past 2 days i have bought 9 albums.

i really need to clean them.

Mar 8, 2007 at 12:37 AM Post #7 of 8
I just started this hobby as well, and I bought six in the past two days. I'm not far behind.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back