Just got my first motorcycle!
Jul 8, 2006 at 6:46 PM Post #16 of 27
Nice first bike. My first bike is a 1988 Honda Hawk GT, bought new in 1990. I still have it though it's mostly used as a commuter now. Your SV is the modern follow on to the Hawk.

If you haven't done it yet, please consider taking an MSF training class. Good luck and enjoy.

-ken

Jul 8, 2006 at 8:51 PM Post #17 of 27
Quote:

Originally Posted by Elec
Looks nice, have fun, don't die!
biggrin.gif

Jul 8, 2006 at 9:30 PM Post #18 of 27
must... kill... pne...anger....

Nah, congrats. Still saving up for a bike of my own, if my parents ever permit me to get one, that is...

Jul 9, 2006 at 12:20 AM Post #19 of 27
Quote:

Originally Posted by Kirosia
must... kill... pne...anger....

Nah, congrats. Still saving up for a bike of my own, if my parents ever permit me to get one, that is...

kirosia, have one of your parents take an MSF riding course with you...or at least the classroom portion. they can sit and watch the road (parking lot) portion of the class, too...does a lot to educate non-motorcyclists about motorcycle riding and makes parents feel better...

Jul 9, 2006 at 12:26 AM Post #20 of 27
Quote:

Originally Posted by kugino
kirosia, have one of your parents take an MSF riding course with you...or at least the classroom portion. they can sit and watch the road (parking lot) portion of the class, too...does a lot to educate non-motorcyclists about motorcycle riding and makes parents feel better...

...that's not gonna happen. They're old-school asian, back in their country people rode crappy bikes and scooters on the chaotic non-paved-sorry-excuse-for-roads. (people would get injured/killed quite a bit)They've grown a bias against two-wheelers, like many of the other old fogies from the way back when. Argh.

Jul 9, 2006 at 3:39 AM Post #21 of 27
nice bike -- you'll enjoy it. I really think the SV650S is more fun than the plain SV650.

Every time I see a thread asking "which bike should I buy", I'm reminded of that quote : The best bike for you is the one you actually ride.

Personally, I love twins and triples. I-4s are just a bit too boring. V-4s and flat-fours both feel like twins, so they're OK :)

Cheers
Michael

Current: R1150GS, K1200RS
Past: M750, KLR650, GN250, Scarabeo150
Futrure (basket case): R75

Jul 10, 2006 at 7:34 PM Post #23 of 27
Congratulations pne!

I haven't tried the SV650 personally, but the a bit sporty, smaller, V-twin's seem to be great city commuters with enough potential for weekend trips. I am more of a four-in-line person, but I cannot deny the enjoyable torque of them.

Ride safe. Never take priority at junctions for granted. Even if you get to look in the eyes of the crossing fellow, thinking; he'll wait for me - he will not always...
blink.gif

Jul 10, 2006 at 7:39 PM Post #25 of 27
Quote:

Originally Posted by mikuhf
I really think the SV650S is more fun than the plain SV650.

Just curious as to why you feel this way?

I thought the only differences between the two bikes were a slightly more aggressive seating angle on the 650S and the addition of the fairings and body work?

Jul 11, 2006 at 1:06 AM Post #26 of 27
Quote:

Originally Posted by F1GTR
Just curious as to why you feel this way?

I thought the only differences between the two bikes were a slightly more aggressive seating angle on the 650S and the addition of the fairings and body work?

Back to back test rides a few years back. For my body shape, the slightly forward riding position on the SV-S was more suited to the kind of riding I would have done on it. (didn't buy either of them -- my wife's Monster 750 was the best of the bunch). I like the SV-S footpeg position better, and the handelbar angle. I learned bikes on my dad's farm, but only got a road licence ten years back. Started out wanting to ride upright, but over time, I found the forward tuck to be more comfortable. It depends on core muscle strength. (the stronger your abs are, the more comfortable the racers tuck is) Also preferred the gearing on the SV-S. I think they might have changed since then -- but back then, the SV-S was geared higher, so you didn't have to upshift so much on local streets.

Michael

Jul 11, 2006 at 12:57 PM Post #27 of 27
thats a really nice bike you got yourself there man, congratulations I hope you'll have loads of fun with it.

I'm looking forward to extending my motorcycle license past 125cc next month =)

@Kirosa, don't give up to easily(sp?), my parents did not want me to ride a motorcycle in the first place too but i convinced them that its not too dangerous ( it really is more dangerous than riding a car but who cares?) there are tons of other **** you do everyday that is at least eually dyangerous....

Users who are viewing this thread

Back