Just got my DT880s!
Oct 2, 2003 at 7:50 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

aphex944

500+ Head-Fier
I have been listening to Grado SR-60s for years, and today I received my pair of DT880s I ordered from Headroom. Needless to say, the difference is astounding. All my music sounds completely different, yet it still gives me a warm feeling(maybe even moreso) than the Grados.

I'm still waiting on parts for my amp(single-ended class A), so these puppies are running directly off my soundcard right now. What's amazing is the amount of detail these phones reproduce. Every little nuance is coming out. They've only had a few hours of burn-in time, so I'm excited to see how they'll improve.

Still unsure about soundstage, maybe it's just the move from supra-aural to circumaural that I'm not used to yet. But man, these are just GREAT headphones, I'm very very happy with my purchase
biggrin.gif

Can anyone comment on the quality of the extension cable that comes with these?

Oct 2, 2003 at 7:55 PM Post #2 of 7
Quote:

Originally posted by aphex944
Can anyone comment on the quality of the extension cable that comes with these?

I like it. I see no reason to take it apart and see if it uses OFC wires.

You're using a DT880 on a soundcard?
eek.gif
I'm surprised that you can hear any bass at all. I would expect them to sound very tinny with a lot of hiss.

Oct 2, 2003 at 9:18 PM Post #3 of 7
Congrats on your DT 880!

I also find the extension cable quite good; it just smoothes the highs a little bit, but barely loses any detail. It even seems to complement the DT 880's sonic signature. I'm glad you like it, it's a great headphone.

peacesign.gif

Oct 2, 2003 at 9:40 PM Post #4 of 7
Congratulations on your 880s. I got mine from HR the other day too and have been burning them and my new Sonic Horizon Sunrise extension cable. They sure are comphy too aren't they? Another couple of Team Beyerdynamic members.

Oct 3, 2003 at 3:37 AM Post #5 of 7
fractus2,

I also find the DT880 more comfortable than the DT831 or DT931, even though they use the same pads. I would prefer the DT831/DT931 headband on the DT880 as it seems to be lighter, though.

Oct 3, 2003 at 4:20 AM Post #6 of 7
I don't like the way the 831/931 headband makes the headphones 'hang' on my head, the earcups push the pressure points under my ears too much
frown.gif

Oct 3, 2003 at 5:36 AM Post #7 of 7
wallijonn,

I've never tried the other Beyer models yet. I wonder if they sell the DT831/DT931 headband separately? Mine are still too new to have a verdict on any headband issues yet. They sure fit well kicked back in the lazyboy though. So far, these phones are great for classical music.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back