Just got my Creative Zen Micro
Dec 18, 2004 at 2:10 AM Post #301 of 630
Quote:

Originally Posted by dlrpkris
After hearing a variety of reports on the net, I am not totally sure if the player can save files in folders or if everything is jumbled up as one. Can someone clarify?

The MP3s are all saved in the root directory of the device. I was pretty disappointed that I couldn't do folders. However, I have found that you don't really need them. I create all the playlists using the Zen Media Explorer (MUCH easier than doing it on the ZM itself) and also use the Zen Media Explorer to transfer all my MP3s to the ZM. Zen Media Explorer will take a whole directory structure (I use lots of folders for seperation on my PC for instance) and flatten it when transfering to the ZM. The ZM then uses the ID3 tags for sorting and so file structure really isn't that important.

Dec 18, 2004 at 10:43 AM Post #302 of 630
So can anyone tell me clear and correctley how to charge the battery, including the first charge. Because im not clear on it.
plainface.gif

Dec 18, 2004 at 10:50 AM Post #303 of 630
Quote:

Originally Posted by lostprophet
So can anyone tell me clear and correctley how to charge the battery, including the first charge. Because im not clear on it.
plainface.gif

Ummmmm...... put battery in ZM, plug charging cable in to wall, plug cable in to USB port on ZM. That was all I did. I don't know about all this plug the cable in to the wall outlet AFTER you plug in to the ZM mumbo-jumbo. My way worked just fine. I would suggest updating the firmware, but I don't think you need to do anything special other than a few (3 should do it) full charge - full discharge cycles.

Dec 18, 2004 at 3:49 PM Post #306 of 630
Quote:

Originally Posted by lostprophet
In the instruction manuel does ti tell you how to charge your battery properly etc etc?
plainface.gif

lol i think you are worrying too much about your player!
580smile.gif
Once you get it, have a chance to experience everything, you are dissecting it now
smily_headphones1.gif
smily_headphones1.gif

Dec 18, 2004 at 4:04 PM Post #307 of 630
Am I the only one who's grappling with the zen's touch pad? The vertical scroll bar is fine but the play, menu and back buttons seem considerably less responsive! Sometimes it takes me a good ten seconds just to get from pause to play. Is my unit defective?

I'm also getting rather annoyed by the placement of the Hold switch which is rather tricky to disable when you're holding the player in your (right) hand.

Finally, I'm disappointed with the players on board playlist creation..it's crap! You can't just create a playlist and put a song in it, you have to add the currently playing song to an existing playlist or create a new playlist with all your songs in it and then delete stuff. You can't even sort the order of tracks! Am i missing something is it really this hard?

Dec 18, 2004 at 5:38 PM Post #308 of 630
Quote:

Originally Posted by DeadTrying
Am I the only one who's grappling with the zen's touch pad? The vertical scroll bar is fine but the play, menu and back buttons seem considerably less responsive! Sometimes it takes me a good ten seconds just to get from pause to play. Is my unit defective?

Have you tried adjusting the sensitivity level for the touch pad? Most reviews I've read said it works best on high.

Dec 18, 2004 at 7:18 PM Post #309 of 630
Quote:

Originally Posted by Charlie87
lol i think you are worrying too much about your player!
580smile.gif
Once you get it, have a chance to experience everything, you are dissecting it now
smily_headphones1.gif
smily_headphones1.gif

lol, well im just very excited and i want to get the best out of my battery.
cool.gif

I found this helpful info, that clears the problem and sets my mind at rest:

http://www.stainlesssteelrat.net/nomadprimer.htm

Quote:

3. Battery charging - Once you've received your player make sure you charge the battery fully the first time. Note that you can use the player while it is charging first time e.g. to download MP3's, as the charger is capable of running both the player and the battery charger.

The newer Nomad's (e.g. Nomad Jukebox 3, Nomad Zen, Nomad MuVo²) use a Lithium Ion battery, and here are 6 tips on getting the best from this type of battery:

(a) When the charging symbol displayed on the Nomad turns off, or changes to the mains symbol, the battery is still trickle charging after reaching 90% charge level. Leave it a further 30 minutes to be sure that the trickle charging has finished also

(b) Make sure to fully discharge and then recharge the battery the first 3 times. This gives the battery the best start in life, and the best life possible

(c) After 30 charges again fully discharge and then recharge the battery, this makes sure the battery life indicator reads as accurately as possible

(d) Do hard disk transfers whilst connected with the mains power adapter. If not, this will drain the battery very quickly

(e) To get the best life from the battery, and taking (b) and (c) into account, make sure the battery is typically fully charged when possible

(f) If the battery is to be stored for a long period of time (more than a week), make sure it has at least 40% charge

Dec 19, 2004 at 5:33 AM Post #311 of 630
Quote:

Originally Posted by CMonkey
I love my ZM silver! It's definetly one of the best DAP I've owned.

Does anyone have the remote? Is it any useful?

I got the limited edition with an extra battery. I just whish Creative had an external charger...

Since the ZM won't be available in Australia until February, I ordered mine from Singapore. I got a Silver Zen with a white remote, but alas, without the extra battery.

The remote is an in-line remote and plugs into the headphone jack. The earphones that come with the ZM + remote bundle are shorter and therefore you have to use the remote to get the length to keep the ZM in your pocket.

The basic buttons on the top of it are:

Volume + -
Play/Pause
Previous Track / Next Track (will also go through FM presets and scan if you hold it down)

On the side you have two buttons:

Slider lock (this locks only the buttons on the remote, not the player itself. If you lock the ZM you can still use the remote...very handy)
Mode (Changes between mp3 and FM modes)

There is a spring clip on the back.

One thing I did notice and I find a bit awkward is it seems upside down to me when you hold it. I would have preferred the change track buttons on top. When you clip it onto, say your shirt pocket, it is right side up when looking down at it. It will take some getting used to and is not as intuitive as the ZM itself (IMO), but gets the job done.

Dec 19, 2004 at 10:51 AM Post #312 of 630
Quote:

Originally Posted by keoshi
As you can see, I know a Zen Micro but I still have one big question...
The big disadvantage for me is that it doesn't allow too much 'shaking', as you can read on Zen Micro FAQ:

Bah...!
My question is: is walking a problem? Normal walking
tongue.gif

I'm afraid I ruin it...

I took mine out for a 3.5k pseudo-power walk, well at least it wasn't a stroll.
wink.gif

It worked just fine, even with fast forwarding and changing tracks. I did not encounter any skipping what so ever. Mind you, I wouldn't take it if I was planning to pound the pavement.

Dec 19, 2004 at 1:36 PM Post #313 of 630
Quote:

Originally Posted by Phaenom
I took mine out for a 3.5k pseudo-power walk, well at least it wasn't a stroll.
wink.gif

It worked just fine, even with fast forwarding and changing tracks. I did not encounter any skipping what so ever. Mind you, I wouldn't take it if I was planning to pound the pavement.

Thanks for the answer! I was on Creative Discussion Forums and they also say that is pretty safe to walk with it, no problem should arise. Attention: I said WALK
3000smile.gif

Dec 19, 2004 at 10:03 PM Post #314 of 630
All of creatives current flash player range will let you do drag-n-drop file transfer. Why not the zen micro? This is a huge con for me, that means you can't take it to a friends house, and transfer some of your stuff to his pc... or just bring some homework to school on the micro, like you can with one of the flash players.

How fast is the USB 2.0 transfer?

Dec 19, 2004 at 10:18 PM Post #315 of 630
My idea would be to put the nomad explorer installer onto the micro's external harddrive mode and then just quickly install that on other computers. it might be a tad more tedious, but the micro can be looked at as drag and drop capable.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back