Just got my Creative Zen Micro
Dec 22, 2004 at 1:44 AM Post #361 of 630
Don't know the specs on the life of a microdrive. I do know it uses a Segate 1 inch drive. I would expect you should be able to replace the drive if the original fails, but you would be voiding the warranty.

Judging from the following websites, some folks have figured out how to upgrade the Zen jukebox hard drive from 20GB to 60GB.

So it shouldn't be too long before we get the same for the ZM.

http://www.extrememhz.com/zenupgrade-p1.shtml

http://www.extremetech.com/article2/...1186580,00.asp

If you google it, you can find more sites.

Cheers...Chris

Dec 22, 2004 at 2:18 AM Post #362 of 630
I actually got the pink one today!! Amazon shipped it overnight for free!
biggrin.gif

I wish it was mine.. of course, I wouldn't have bought a girly pink one for myself...
icon10.gif

Dec 22, 2004 at 3:17 AM Post #363 of 630
Quote:

Originally Posted by ken830
I actually got the pink one today!! Amazon shipped it overnight for free!
biggrin.gif

I wish it was mine.. of course, I wouldn't have bought a girly pink one for myself...
icon10.gif

a little insecure there i see, kenneth

Dec 22, 2004 at 10:44 AM Post #365 of 630
Ooooh, I want a Micro sooo badly now
eek.gif
I've been dapless for almost 2 weeks!

http://www22.brinkster.com/truffles/image.jpg.jpg

Anyways, I'm looking for a decent bedside speaker system that I can easily use for sleep/wakeup timers on the Micro. Someone told me that when I have speakers turned on but without playing anything... it doesn't take a lot or any electricity. Is that true?

Also, is there a way to deal with the volume controls? For eg.) sleeping music - low volumes / the very next morning / wakeup music - louder volumes ?

Well, the speakers in there looks awesome. Any idea where I could get them or how much it'll be? Or is there another solution someone can recommend me ?

So, the question and availability of colours starts all over again
biggrin.gif
!!

Dec 22, 2004 at 3:33 PM Post #366 of 630
Great news guys. My mum didn't buy it off amazon.co.uk the other day. She had already bought it off ebuyer a while ago. So i should get it on xmas day!!!
eggosmile.gif

Whay!!! Its white and all!!!
eggosmile.gif
I am very happy.

Dec 22, 2004 at 9:35 PM Post #367 of 630
Can some tell me what the point of the spare battery is,as we all know they start to degrade as soon as they are made. Are you supposed to alternate them to get the benefit?
oh, and also, what exaclty does syncing mean?? I dont think ive actually ever seen it explained..

Dec 22, 2004 at 10:08 PM Post #368 of 630
Quote:

Originally Posted by wintersun
Can some tell me what the point of the spare battery is,as we all know they start to degrade as soon as they are made. Are you supposed to alternate them to get the benefit?
oh, and also, what exaclty does syncing mean?? I dont think ive actually ever seen it explained..

Spare battery was only really to get people to notice them more and to encourage people to by them.

Syncing means (i think) that it can work together with Microsoft Outlook
smily_headphones1.gif

Dec 22, 2004 at 10:13 PM Post #369 of 630
Quote:

Originally Posted by wintersun

Multiple batteries means you can go for more time without having to plug the Micro into a wall to charge it.

Dec 22, 2004 at 10:49 PM Post #371 of 630
I have had a micro for a week now (sexy silver!!). This is my first mp3 player ever, and I am loving this thing. It is so cool looking and the touch buttons are really really cool, and I have had no problems with them. I have a few questions tho. The other day I was listening to my micro when the thing just paused itself for about 5 seconds, then unpaused itself. It did this a few times in a row. I kinda got pissed off (cause the thing isn't exactally cheap) and put it aside for the day. It didn't happen again for a couple days. Then again it did it. Pause.... then unpause.... then pause to the point where i have to hit pause to get it to play again, then it paused itself again. This all happened on my first battery charge, and the last time it happened when the indicator still had one bar left on it. I recharged it and am about to try it again to see if it does it anymore.
The other thing I have had happen a few times is the micro will just lock up on the now playing screen. It will make the clicking sound when I am trying to use buttons, but will not turn off if i try and power down. I ended up having to pull the battery to turn it off. Has anyone else had these problems?
Like I said other than those few little complaints, I am very happy with the micro. Oh yea I did the firmware update as well.
How gentile do I have to be with this? Never having owned one I am super cautious with it. I walking with it in my pocket isn't going to hurt anytihng is it? I read somewhere not to jog with it, but all I am doing is walking 45 minutes a day in weather that gets to minus 30 C! Should I be worried about the temp??
I think that is all ... thanks in advance for any info!

Dec 23, 2004 at 12:02 AM Post #372 of 630
Pechert,

With the pausing issue you experienced, did you have the unit lockedwhen it happened? If not it might have paused by brushing up against something. When I first got mine I had a similar issue with it skipping to the next or previous track. Then I realised that when it was in my shrit pocket (facing towards me), all the ZM had to do was brush up against the fabric and it would activate the unit.

With regard to walking, it shouldn't be an issue. I've taken it on 3km powerwalks and have not experienced any problems.

The only time I've had mine lock up is when I've removed it from from the USB connection to my computer, but only a couple of times.

It's good that you're taking care of it, I guess it's one of those things where you can't be too cautious. The best analogy I can think of for how I treat mine is like a portable CD player. Not everyone would agree with me, but that's my story and I'm sticking with it.
eggosmile.gif

I don't know about the temperature, I would expect it should be fine if you kept it inside you jakcet. But at -30, I would recommend moving to Fiji...
rolleyes.gif

Cheers...Chris

Dec 23, 2004 at 12:57 AM Post #373 of 630
The ZM comes with a Seagate ST1 one inch hard drive.

Here's a review of the drive itself:

http://www.xbitlabs.com/articles/sto...e-st1-5gb.html

A note from one of Seagate's press releases around the technology used in the drive:

The issue of shock resistance was also a critical design consideration. So the team incorporated the G-Force Protection feature as well as the company's RunOn technology. The RunOn technology is said to overcome playback consistency issues with HDD music players in high-movement situations; and G-Force Protection ensures that the drive is protected against shocks by moving the heads off the media when the device is powered off.

Cheers...Chris

Dec 23, 2004 at 3:06 AM Post #374 of 630
Thanks Phaenom,

When the unit was pausing itself it was just sitting on my desk touch screen up. The hold was not on. I have used it for about 2.5 hours tonight (about 90% of that use time was with the hold on mind you) and I haven't had it pause on its own. I used for the first time the supplied headphones and I must say they hurt the ears! I had been using my Koss PortaPros, and now will almost exclusivly use those now. I needed some earbuds tho cause I was going to the mall and I didn't want to draw to much attention to myself.
Love my Koss portas!
Anyone seen the inline remote in stores yet? Is there going to be an onslaught of accesories (like the ipod) for this unit. Not that I much care but that fm transmiter thingy could be useful!!

Dec 23, 2004 at 3:56 AM Post #375 of 630
By a stroke of luck, I went to my local CompUSA today, and they had one Zen Micro limited edition Silver in stock!
biggrin.gif
I got this, and canceled my Amazon order, which has been in back-order since Dec 11. So far, it is great! I had trouble with the wires which came with it at first, but I am now all set. I have upgraded the firmware and loaded on my music. One problem: the clicker on mine doesn't seem to work at all... Oh well, I got the 2-year warranty, so after Christmas, once there are more in stock, I can just get this one replaced.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back