Just got my Beyer DT880s today from Meier Audio!
Jan 4, 2006 at 6:51 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 23

Cyrilix

500+ Head-Fier
Well, it's been a month and a week in shipping, and finally it's here. Unfortunately, I don't have any other headphones to compare with (I sold my MS-1s about 1 month ago so I've sort of forgotten what the two sound like). I'm also running these phones directly out of the headphone out for the Revo 5.1, and these headphones have not had much time at all to burn in. I will make sure to listen to them longer before posting my impressions, but in terms of build quality, it's awesome, and I think they are just really cool-looking, more fashionable than Grados anyway (with the exception of the reference series). The metal headband that connects the cups is a lot sturdier than I expected. TBH, I thought it was made out of plastic (before I bought these), but the metal just makes it seem unbreakable. I'm not very experienced with the concept of soundstage, but coming from MS-1s, it feels like I have a bit more of a surround sound feeling. With Grados, it was sort of like...left channel / right channel....but now I have instruments a bit in front, a bit in the rear sometimes, and traveling in a 3d space rather than a 2d space. Anyway, those are my comments for now -- I'm quite happy with my purchase so far.

Jan 4, 2006 at 6:59 AM Post #2 of 23
Quote:

Originally Posted by Cyrilix
Well, it's been a month and a week in shipping, and finally it's here. Unfortunately, I don't have any other headphones to compare with (I sold my MS-1s about 1 month ago so I've sort of forgotten what the two sound like). I'm also running these phones directly out of the headphone out for the Revo 5.1, and these headphones have not had much time at all to burn in. I will make sure to listen to them longer before posting my impressions, but in terms of build quality, it's awesome, and I think they are just really cool-looking, more fashionable than Grados anyway (with the exception of the reference series). The metal headband that connects the cups is a lot sturdier than I expected. TBH, I thought it was made out of plastic (before I bought these), but the metal just makes it seem unbreakable. I'm not very experienced with the concept of soundstage, but coming from MS-1s, it feels like I have a bit more of a surround sound feeling. With Grados, it was sort of like...left channel / right channel....but now I have instruments a bit in front, a bit in the rear sometimes, and traveling in a 3d space rather than a 2d space. Anyway, those are my comments for now -- I'm quite happy with my purchase so far.

is this the new 2006 set?

Jan 4, 2006 at 7:00 AM Post #3 of 23
Nope, the old ones.

Jan 4, 2006 at 7:03 AM Post #5 of 23
Quote:

Originally Posted by papakoks
how much did the shipping cost?

It was $210 all inclusive.

Jan 4, 2006 at 7:14 AM Post #6 of 23
Congratulations! I miss the sound of my previous DT880; currently have senn HD650 - problem is i can't afford to own both at the same time..

Jan 4, 2006 at 7:16 AM Post #7 of 23
Congrats! Check out some unamplified acoustic music, preferably orchestral classical (even if you don't normally listen to it) so you can see where these cans really shine.

I've been shocked to have some "near live" experiences with inexpensive gear, which supposedly doesn't happen unless you spend megabucks on a carefully tweaked setup. You can probably guess how that made me feel about the DT880 (pretend this is a DT880 smiley:
k1000smile.gif
).

Jan 4, 2006 at 8:23 AM Post #10 of 23
Quote:

Originally Posted by calgary2800
What? 210 shipped. I got mine for 259 shipped from Headroom
mad.gif
mad.gif
mad.gif

Well they do price match and have a gaurantee, so ask them to refund the difference? if they don't send them back and buy from meir.

Jan 4, 2006 at 8:27 AM Post #13 of 23
Meier tries to sell all his stock, he's waiting for the new models.
When I bought my dt990, he told me there would be new models soon before confirming my order.

But I took the old model anyway, way cheaper !
biggrin.gif

Jan 4, 2006 at 12:41 PM Post #14 of 23
I haven't heard mention of ye goode olde CUSTOMS - duty. How was that handled.........did any German vendors save us money in that regard, or did the US post office hold up the package until you appeared with an additional 5% or so before releasing the pkg.. How did it work for US buyers?

Jan 4, 2006 at 4:20 PM Post #15 of 23
Quote:

Originally Posted by papakoks
so which one sounds better?

Better/neutral of the 2 phones, i'll let the experts decide. i prefer my senn HD650 for long term listening because of it's way of presenting various music.
Both the phones different, and hence sort of complimentary IMO. which is why i said above i'd like to own both.

with the DT880, i'm like the closest u can get to the stage, or maybe on the stage. the vocals are in your face, imean the artists lips/mouth. sounds do come from way back or extreme sides. the thump and twangs are lively. comparitively less bass. really great to be in/with the music.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back