Just got my ATH-A900
Oct 23, 2007 at 11:44 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 17

ralfie

New Head-Fier
Hi guys... just got my A900s from audiocubes.. not opened the box yet
blink.gif
too anxious and huge expectations.

A few questions, I own the HD555 and unamped which would perform better being that both the HD555 and A900 are 40ohms impedance.

Also does having an amp make a difference... my friend said that though the A900 is good unamped at high volumes, at low volumes it would lack detail and balance of sound...

I love to listen to music at very low volumes but with excellent clarity and balance, at night (with my MX500 earphones i loved it, even at volume of 4 or 5) ....so will that change now...
frown.gif

Also I dont want to be psychologically affected by this and make myself believe it to be true.

Well.. thanks for listening.. and I request anyone who has an opinion to please take time to share it with me.. thanks in advance.

Will let you guys know how it goes with the A900...
600smile.gif

Oct 23, 2007 at 11:46 PM Post #2 of 17
Why don't you just open the box and see for yourself?

Oct 23, 2007 at 11:53 PM Post #3 of 17
I have the GS-1 as an amp - the A900 sounds different at loud volume (the sharpness are taken away by the GS-1) but virtually the same at normal listening volume amped or unamped.

Enjoy the A900 - it's a great can!

Oct 24, 2007 at 12:26 AM Post #4 of 17
A bit OT, but if you listen at low volumes, the best you can get is the GS1000.

Oct 24, 2007 at 12:52 AM Post #5 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by b0dhi /img/forum/go_quote.gif
A bit OT, but if you listen at low volumes, the best you can get is the GS1000.

Not sure what OT means... and I listen to low volumes only sometimes. Most of the time I am headbangin to techno/trance
basshead.gif
which is why I had to get closed ones.

But I do like to settle down at night and listen to some melo music appreciating every detail of it so I asked.

And the GS1000 is a little too expensive right now and I dont like open headphones anymore..

Oct 24, 2007 at 1:42 AM Post #7 of 17
First impressions... love the 3D wing system.. just LOVE it. beware if you use lot of hair gel

Comfort:

I have no idea why people say you cant headbang with these... or maybe i just have too big a head
icon10.gif

I love the way it sticks to my head.. the 3D wing system adjusts to your head so you dont have to bother about fiddling with the lengths of your headband on either side and trying to balance the pressure on your ears (I hope people understand what i am talking about.)

I can headbang with these all day (note I do have a big head).

I can feel it heat up after a while.. but you get used to it and will love it in winter.

Have to add this in the comfort section.. I love the cloth covered cord.. if you are really picky like me you will love that it does not rub against other things and is so smooth.

Sound:

Excellent clarity overall..

Highs ..really...really clear and crisp.

Bass tight and not as extended as I expected.(not sure is that is good or bad)

Mids are alright.. i know now why people say it is recessed. The mids are present and can be heard well, but just that the crispness of the highs kind of steal it away from the mids.. [edit] beginning to miss the mids after a while.

Isolation is really good, not sure what else to say unless I use it on a train.

Soundstage is just right.
I thought that soundstage can be a bad thing which I had noticed in the HD555 because it seperates every aspect of the music which can be a bad thing for fast paced music, though it may be good for instrumental music.

The soundstage of the A900 is just right for me.. not too separated like the HD555.

Well thats it for now..

I hope I am able to help a few understand the A900, never written a review before and neither was I attempting too but as I started explaining I had to explain every aspect of these headphones.

Will post some pics soon..

Oct 24, 2007 at 9:10 AM Post #9 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by ralfie /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Also does having an amp make a difference... my friend said that though the A900 is good unamped at high volumes, at low volumes it would lack detail and balance of sound...

It tends to sound better at high volumes, but you are more inclined to crank it up because they aren't fatiguing
smily_headphones1.gif

btw: the A1000 pads make the A900's much more comfortable
smily_headphones1.gif
(edit: they also change the sound a little as they are softer and compress a bit more on your head. Mids are more forward, bass is tighter and more controlled, midbass is more prominent.)

Oct 24, 2007 at 9:46 AM Post #12 of 17
Hi thanks for the info.. so will changing to A1000 pads improve the mids a bit.. that would really help.

And actually I need it to not sound as forward as it does right now.. and if I read it right the SK138 method will bring it more forward right??

Anyway can I make it a bit more Sennheiser like(laid back).. but sometimes I think because I am used to HD555 now, I am trying to change the A900 to a closed version of HD555.. so maybe I shud just wait and get used to the A900.

Quote:

Originally Posted by TMM /img/forum/go_quote.gif
It tends to sound better at high volumes, but you are more inclined to crank it up because they aren't fatiguing
smily_headphones1.gif

btw: the A1000 pads make the A900's much more comfortable
smily_headphones1.gif
(edit: they also change the sound a little as they are softer and compress a bit more on your head. Mids are more forward, bass is tighter and more controlled, midbass is more prominent.)

Oct 24, 2007 at 10:11 AM Post #13 of 17
Fitz' mod makes more of a change then the pads alone do, but along with the Fitz mod you can add more or less stuffing inside the cups (or none) which changes the sound dramatically. More stuffing brings the mids forward, and reduces the bass impact but at the same time makes the bass tighter and more controlled. Less stuffing does the opposite. If the fitz mod isn't for you, then you can still experiment just by changing the "DADS" foam for speaker stuffing or cotton wool, adding the amount that sounds best to you.

Oct 24, 2007 at 9:03 PM Post #14 of 17
The A900's are too big to wear out and about, right?

(I'm looking for something like the A900's in regards to sound quality and isolation, but something to can commute with - doesn't seem to exist)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back