Just got iHP-140, so far, _not_ impressed
Mar 28, 2004 at 2:44 AM Post #76 of 122
Quote:

Originally posted by AGR
Austonia: When I connect to my USB cable, My iHP-120 shows up as 'F' Drive. I right click on it, and the 4th item down is 'update DB File'. When you click on 'update DB File', this begins the iHP Manager update run. I did not download anything. I did update to 1.4 Firmware, but that was later. The software 'install' CD should have come packaged with your player.

You don't have 'update DB File' showing?

Exactley. On none of the PC's I've tried (3), does it give me that option in Windows File Explorer, when I right-click on the iHP-drive. I can't get a screenshot of that since ALT-PRINTSCREEN makes the right-click popup box close, but here is a pic of the iHP when plugged in to one PC... Windows File Explorer doesn't show the IHP100 drive name as it should, nor does it let me copy long filenames to it, and the format type shows as RAW. I've uninstalled all the other DAP drivers on the PC and I havn't been able to determine why it won't mount correctly.

www.austinv.com/iHP_screenshot_1.jpg

Mar 28, 2004 at 2:50 AM Post #77 of 122
What do you think with the sound output from the remote control?

I use E3 connected to it and I hear some 'rustling', not sure what's that noise called, it's the noise like tv when there is not signal.

But when I connected it directly to the headphone out or line out, the noise dissapeared.

I liked the remote, but the sound coming out from there is not my taste.

Note: You can only hear this when you are using volume 05 or below. I always listen at the lvl sadly
frown.gif

Mar 28, 2004 at 3:05 AM Post #78 of 122
Austin, do me a favor. Come on over to the Mistic Site. I know you've been there, cuz you're a member. The site has a chat app in the main section. When you have time, go to the support chat room. OR of course you can PM me with regular AIM or MSN yahoo, whatever. I'd be happy to help you along. Sounds like you're running into some silly stuff.

I actually installed the Data Base software only about a month ago, just to check it out. The software is on the install disk that came in the package. There are drivers on it too. It took me but a whole minute to install it. After a reboot, (which I'm not sure you have to do, but force of habit forces me to), you just open explorer, of course the IHP has to be connected and ON, then right click on the Root folder (prolly says IHP on it along w/drive letter) and the option should be there.

It's that simple. Then at the next IHP boot up, you'll automatically see the DB screen yada etc bla bla blibidy bla. I personally found the db feature useless for the way I browse. Either way to me, I have my folders set up in such a systematic and organized way, that finding anything takes me a matter of seconds. (Usually under 15 and I've got 1678 files/230 folders on it )

I ditched the data base, because it is useless, and I wasn't about to mess with non supported 3rd party software. No disrespect meant to the developer though, (Gacel) I'm actually pretty sure that the code is a lot more clean than anything Iriver has put out to date !
smily_headphones1.gif

EDIT: Come to think of it, I never got any messages about long file names not being supported when I updated the data base etc. It just skipped right over them period, and at the end told me how many errors or unsupported files there were. Not individually though.

@Prince, I hear no difference when using the remote. Though I don't use it that often. No hiss though. That much I know. Sounds the same to me.

Mar 28, 2004 at 3:44 AM Post #79 of 122
Quote:

Originally posted by Sweet Spot
It's that simple. Then at the next IHP boot up, you'll automatically see the DB screen

Thanks for trying to help. I know its supposed to be that simple. I've read the manual. I know how its suposed to work. It doesnt go into any DB screen at boot. Yes, I have the DB function set to on in the player's config. I'm at my gf's house at the moment and I can't even get it to recognize the drive correctly (as shown in the screenshot I posted). I thought maybe it was a similiar issue to what I experienced on my home PC's... so I uninstalled Dudebox and everything else but it didn't help. I've rebooted between each change I make.

I will contact you at MisticRiver when I get home tommorrow. Thanks for offering your time, but I don't know what you will be able to tell me that I havn't allready tried.
frown.gif

Mar 28, 2004 at 4:45 AM Post #80 of 122
Quote:

Thanks for offering your time, but I don't know what you will be able to tell me that I havn't allready tried.

Me neither. I just figured that we'd walk through the steps together to make sure that nothing was overlooked or over done. I'm definitely not saying you're a doofis or anything..you know that. Just that sometimes some stupid small anomaly can appear out of nowhere etc...

In anycase, what the hell are you doing on the internet when you're with your girlfriend...boy, you really need to sort your priorities !
very_evil_smiley.gif

*devils advocate is so much fun.....*

Mar 28, 2004 at 5:29 AM Post #81 of 122
Quote:

Originally posted by austonia
hey, What do i know? Maybe you should find out before making such a judgement. I troubleshoot telecom hardware and circuits for a living, I've built more than 20 PC's for myself, friends and family - and provide tech support, I've built several websites, and I've owned a dozen HD-DAPs. Is that good enough to get the benefit of the doubt, that maybe I know what I'm doing? Thanks.

i realize your background, you say it a lot. all i said was that you seem so fanatic about it that it just sounds hard to believe. but like i said, maybe im wrong.

Mar 28, 2004 at 1:53 PM Post #82 of 122
Austonia: I don't know. Maybe; it will all come together for you, and you will get the 'Grin' like so many of us i-HP120/140 owners experience. If perhaps, something is wrong with your player, you can get it exchanged, and all will be well!
280smile.gif

I wish I could be of more help. But; as you know, this is my first MP3 player, and I have had to learn as I go, along with some help from some of the wonderful members here, and over at Mistic River.

....listening to some Checkfield this lazy Sunday AM. Nice..........
smily_headphones1.gif

Mar 28, 2004 at 2:04 PM Post #83 of 122
I hope it 'comes together' for you also Austonia.
But sometimes new technology - which moves so fast these days-
can bamboozle 'older' folks.... folks more set in their ways and slower than they once were.
Sometimes you just have to move aside (when you can no longer keep up) and let the new
techno-sufficient-dudes take over.
If it's time for you to spend more time on the porch with your pipe and slippers, gramaphone and banjo, I say 'enjoy it' for all your sterling work in the past........
biggrin.gif

Mar 28, 2004 at 3:04 PM Post #84 of 122
Could I venture a guess and suggest that the reason you're not pleased with the iHP is that it hasn't improved your computer's 3D graphics power?

Seriously though Austonia, I think you should try and get things in perspective. Sure, you're having difficulties with the iHP. But I'm sure there are plenty of people on here who would tell you they've had none at all, either of a technical or operational (i.e. interface) nature. My experience has been entirely hunky-dory, from my computer recognising the unit by USB to making the DB file. Admittedly the interface isn't as slick as some others, but then given the extra capabilities of the player, I wouldn't recommend it to anyone un-technically minded who is just looking for a simple, easy-to-use mp3 player. It's not the same time of device as the iPod or Karma, to pick two example at random. This is part of the perspective the iHP series should be viewed in.

Personally, I had massive technical difficulties with my iPod (resolving of which included buying a new FW card, reinstalling Windows and eventually having the unit replaced), but I realised I was in the minority and that my problems weren't representative of most people's experience, and so I refrained from venting my frustration like I have seen many others do.

Mar 28, 2004 at 3:17 PM Post #85 of 122
Quote:

Originally posted by pookster
I hope it 'comes together' for you also Austonia.
But sometimes new technology - which moves so fast these days-
can bamboozle 'older' folks.... folks more set in their ways and slower than they once were.
Sometimes you just have to move aside (when you can no longer keep up) and let the new
techno-sufficient-dudes take over.
If it's time for you to spend more time on the porch with your pipe and slippers, gramaphone and banjo, I say 'enjoy it' for all your sterling work in the past........
biggrin.gif

biggrin.gif
Austonia's not the only one...oh....where are my slippers, anyway?
biggrin.gif

Mar 28, 2004 at 7:22 PM Post #86 of 122
Quote:

Originally posted by pomegranate
Could I venture a guess and suggest that the reason you're not pleased with the iHP is that it hasn't improved your computer's 3D graphics power?

Seriously though Austonia, I think you should try and get things in perspective. Sure, you're having difficulties with the iHP. But I'm sure there are plenty of people on here who would tell you they've had none at all, either of a technical or operational (i.e. interface) nature. My experience has been entirely hunky-dory, from my computer recognising the unit by USB to making the DB file. Admittedly the interface isn't as slick as some others, but then given the extra capabilities of the player, I wouldn't recommend it to anyone un-technically minded who is just looking for a simple, easy-to-use mp3 player. It's not the same time of device as the iPod or Karma, to pick two example at random. This is part of the perspective the iHP series should be viewed in.

Personally, I had massive technical difficulties with my iPod (resolving of which included buying a new FW card, reinstalling Windows and eventually having the unit replaced), but I realised I was in the minority and that my problems weren't representative of most people's experience, and so I refrained from venting my frustration like I have seen many others do.

Pomegranate, your advice sucks. You're basically saying that because not everyone has these problems, well I should just understand that, and not make a big deal about it. F_ck that. I publish my experience with these things, for good and bad, for the benefit of other people. If you had a great experience with yours, FANTASTIC, make your own thread about it and leave this one to me.

Mar 29, 2004 at 12:35 AM Post #88 of 122
C'mon guys, keep this one friendly or we'll have to close it. Austin, I'm suprised dude, this stuff usually rolls off your back.

Mar 29, 2004 at 1:07 AM Post #89 of 122
What's up Tuberoller! haha.. I don't think I've ever seen you post in these forums 'round here. But hey man, portables sound good in the nude too, and allow much greater freedom of movement
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif

Mar 29, 2004 at 4:32 AM Post #90 of 122
I just got an IHP140 today and had a similar prob. with a "non existent" device.

I had to go into the WinXP device manager and manually install the IHP-140 as a USB mass storage device and then everything went hunky dory.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back