Just got Denon AH-C751, a bit dissapointed..
Mar 31, 2010 at 3:49 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 25

Dmeech

New Head-Fier
New guy here looking for a pair of great IEM. Been browsing the forums for months for a decent pair of IEMs.

Saw a deal on Amazon for Denon AH-C751 for $70 shipped and couldn't pass it... since they list for $199 on Denon's site.

They came today, plugged them in and..... was disappointed.

**I'm coming from the Original Vmoda Vibe (pre second gen) which I hear was better sounding.**

The treble was metallic sounding, but I hear it settles down after break in. The mids sounded perfectly balanced and beat out my old Vmodas single handedly.
As for the bass... this was where I was disappointed the most. The bass was extremely tight and controlled which I expected, but it was nowhere near as "loud" as the Vmodas. I know Denon's are tuned more flat while the Vmodas have exaggerated bass but I expected the Denons to beat the Vmodas in the bass department.

I listen to a lot of electronic music and drum&bass, I guess after hearing some quality headphones it's safe to say that I like bass (and a lot of it!) but I do like it tight and controlled. So I'm thinking of returning the C751s and getting something a bit more bass heavy.

How do the C710s compare in the bass department? What about the FutureSonic Atrios? Hippo VB? My budget is up to $200 but would settle for a decent $100 headphone with lots of controlled bass. IE8s maybe sometime down the line but for now something that can sound as loud as the Vibes in the bass department AND sound good everywhere else also.

Thanks, your help is appreciated. I've been searching for months =)

Mar 31, 2010 at 4:29 AM Post #3 of 25
I definitely recommend the Hippo VB's. Search some threads on here, people have likened their sound signature to the IE8's... I listen to a lotta of electronic music and the VB's definitely don't disappoint. Be sure to burn them in for at least 20-50 before giving them a chance.

Mar 31, 2010 at 6:23 AM Post #6 of 25
Quote:

Originally Posted by stonyboys /img/forum/go_quote.gif
$70? Are you sure they aren't fake?

The price will sometimes drop this low from time to time. You can usually get them for under $100 in the U.S., so they seem real to me.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dmeech /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Does anyone know if the bass will get better with burn in on the C751s or is it a lot cause?

As for burn-in, they only get tighter. Quantity didn't seem to change at all for me.

Mar 31, 2010 at 6:47 AM Post #7 of 25
burn-in might change the bad sounding. my c710 gave me a good SQ after 200 hours of bun-in

Mar 31, 2010 at 10:33 AM Post #8 of 25
I'm quite surprised that you feel that the C751 doesn't have enough bass. I'm not the most ardent advocate of burn in and I am not sure burn in will change that. The C710 will pound bass in to your head much louder than the C751 can. Its bass also extends deeper and has a bass slam/impact that I feel is even greater than on the IE8.

Mar 31, 2010 at 12:12 PM Post #9 of 25
I would let them settle down with a few hours of burn in before you bin them, things may well change after 100 hours or so.

Mar 31, 2010 at 1:05 PM Post #11 of 25
On the flip-side, I am really quite impressed with my pair...

...Much better tonality than the C710s that replace them, although the standard caveat of YMMV applies I guess...

Mar 31, 2010 at 4:12 PM Post #13 of 25
Quote:

Originally Posted by TCD1975 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The C-751s have plenty of bass. Are you sure you're getting a good seal? It makes a difference.

Yes, the seal is good. I have small ear canals so I use the small tips. I tried using the medium sized tips for a tight fit, bass didn't change so I know the seal is good.

Hippo VBs seem very interesting and within my price range, but if I don't like them I can't really return them internationally.

Any products you guys would recommend that I can get in the US?

PS** I got these for $70 from the CompUSA Amazon store, so they are legit.

Thanks for all your help!

Mar 31, 2010 at 4:30 PM Post #14 of 25
It may not be your sound. If you're one of the people who like that midbass buzz, you might not love the 751s. Their bass is more flat and proportional, with midbass = low bass = low treble. I like it--midbass humps set my teeth on edge--but that's me, not you.

I don't know how the Vibes sound, but Atrios have plenty of midbass, if that's your thing.

Mar 31, 2010 at 4:34 PM Post #15 of 25
Also give your brain time to adjust to a more accurate presentation of music from the Denons. It's been about 2 years since I heard the V-moda Vibes, but I do remember they had pretty flabby, sloppy bass.

I haven't heard those Denons either, but I am certain you just need to get used to their much more accurate sound signature -- it's probably much closer to what the original source sounds like.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back