Just got an iPod... trying to decide on a nice pair of IEM's
Dec 26, 2009 at 6:42 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 17

ksween93

100+ Head-Fier
So I haven't had an mp3 player in about five years. Just got a new iPod Classic 160GB for xmas and I'm really not sure about what to do for a pair of IEM's. Usually I listen to music through my MacBook with a pair of K601's through a Travagan's White amp/DAC. Just so we're all aware, I know relatively little about IEM's. After some reading on Head-Fi and price comparing, I'm inclined to go for the ER-4s, but I have some qualms:

For one, I'd prefer to go without an amp to maximize portability, but I feel like I'm asking for poor SQ going unamped with an iPod.

Also, if I did get an amp, it'd have to be around $100 (most likely an iBasso T3).

Can anyone please tell me A) if an unamped pair of ER-4s is good enough for pretty casual listening B) if a T3 would really improve them all that much C) is it really worth it to buy a rig like that if I can't even really fit it in my pocket and D) should I be looking to buy a different pair of IEM's altogether?

I listen to a wide range of music, but mostly rock, funk, blues, a little jazz, and a lot of live soundboard recordings (i.e. a band like Phish). I'm looking for a decent amount of bass (nothing out of control), something that isn't overly neutral and more on the warm side, and something that is above all portable and worth the money. Thanks for any feedback.

Oh yeah, and since it's an iPod (and all my lossless is FLAC at the moment), it would be nice if whatever you happen to recommend is fairly forgiving of lower audio quality (most is 192-320kbps).

Dec 26, 2009 at 8:48 AM Post #2 of 17
Quote:

For one, I'd prefer to go without an amp to maximize portability, but I feel like I'm asking for poor SQ going unamped with an iPod.

The ER-4P will sound fine unamped, as well the ER-4S, to a different degree. And I agree — for true portability, you'll want something that can run fine straight from your iPod. You have to remember that when you're on the move, you're going to be a less critical listener anyways. With this in mind, the ER-4P, unamped, will work great.

Now that said, pretty much everything you said that immediately followed is to the contrary.

Quote:

I listen to a wide range of music, but mostly rock, funk, blues, a little jazz, and a lot of live soundboard recordings (i.e. a band like Phish). I'm looking for a decent amount of bass (nothing out of control), something that isn't overly neutral and more on the warm side, and something that is above all portable and worth the money. Thanks for any feedback.

Your music choices are fine for the ER-4P — it's actually a more versatile can than most make it out to be, and considering the can you're coming from you might not actually find it too bass light. That said, the ER-4 IEMs are notoriously neutral and cannot be described as warm at all.

The last bit you said is probably the clincher:

Quote:

it would be nice if whatever you happen to recommend is fairly forgiving of lower audio quality

If you feel as though your music is lower quality (and there isn't a way for you to re-rip all of that into higher quality or whatever), then you should probably forget about this IEM, as it is not at all forgiving. All of the details will stream through and you'll cringe at the sound of some of your songs.

In essence, because of the last few requirements of yours, as much as I like this headphone, I'd have to say that you might want to look elsewhere.

Dec 26, 2009 at 4:01 PM Post #3 of 17
First off, thank you for the detailed response. From what I had already read, I had gotten the impression that they were a pretty detailed can, but this confirms it and seeing as a great deal of my music is downloaded and unfortunately mp3, it looks like I may have to look elsewhere. However, I could convert the decent amount of FLAC I have to Apple Lossless, which would constitute the majority of what I really listen to.

Quote:

it's actually a more versatile can than most make it out to be, and considering the can you're coming from you might not actually find it too bass light.

So you're saying that they are somewhat light on bass? While I like my K601's I do find them a tad lacking in the bass department.

Quote:

That said, the ER-4 IEMs are notoriously neutral and cannot be described as warm at all.

In that case, do you know of or happen to own any IEM's that you could recommend? As far as the audio quality, don't take that into too much consideration as I do have enough lossless to satisfy me most of the time.

Dec 26, 2009 at 5:26 PM Post #4 of 17
I've been doing some reading about the Atrio M5... would this better suit my tastes? Sounds like a warm canalphone that isn't terribly hard to drive at a pretty good price. Can anyone attest to this?

Dec 26, 2009 at 5:40 PM Post #5 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by ksween93 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
So you're saying that they are somewhat light on bass? While I like my K601's I do find them a tad lacking in the bass department.

Well, I'm saying that some find them bass-light. A typical criticism (and one that I find valid) is that the ER-4P/S can hit the low notes but that you cannot feel them, which lends to a sense of them not being there. There are a number of ways to alleviate this: I imagine most people use the silicone tips when listening to the headphone — bad idea. The bass response comes through with foamies and to an even greater extent with the Etymotic glider tips. The difference is immediately apparent.

Quote:

Originally Posted by ksween93 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
In that case, do you know of or happen to own any IEM's that you could recommend? As far as the audio quality, don't take that into too much consideration as I do have enough lossless to satisfy me most of the time.

If you can solve your music quality issue, you might actually find that you like the ER-4P. It's hard to know unless you try it out.

But for warm IEMs, you should veer towards dynamically driven ones. The Sennheiser IE8 gets very high marks for its bass response — in fact, it's probably unmatched. If that's beyond your budget, the IE6 does well too.

Dec 27, 2009 at 1:58 PM Post #6 of 17
If you want bass, the Atrio M5's are pretty much it. But beware they are pretty expensive, though.

I'd recommend the Klipsch Image S4i (the remote on the Image S4i works with your new iPod classic) and also investing in a set of Comply Foam Tx-100 eartips for a better seal between the IEM and ear. I have the Image S4i and it sounds really great on my 4G iPod nano (and the remote controls my 4G nano, too).

Dec 27, 2009 at 5:52 PM Post #8 of 17
I have the Etymotic HF5. From what I have read on this forum, the sound is very close to the ER-4P with a little extra bass boost. I own a pair and love them, but they are quite critical IEMs. They will pick up ever nuance. I'm a lover of bass, but I find the bass response on these enjoyable even without using the equalizer. Like neel said, it won't be earthshaking bass. Now, with that said, the HF5s are my second favorite (btw: I have nothing but ipods players). The best IEM I have that sounds good with the newer classics (last two years) and the nano is the Ortofon E-Q7. It's hard to find in the states, but not impossible. You can find them here in the states for about $300 if someone selling an extra pair. The E-Q7 is like having a armature and dynamic driver in one. Great soundstage, excellent mids and highs and nice detailed deep bass. This IEM is the perfect phone for the ipod IMHO. Good luck.

Dec 27, 2009 at 6:33 PM Post #9 of 17
After k601 atrio will literally blow your head !
biggrin.gif

Have k702 and k601 and think if you want something like k702 its er4p or phonak pfe,triple fi10 little dryer sound and unforgiving but if you want something like k601 little warmer sound you should go with sleek sa6 IMO.

Dec 28, 2009 at 12:55 AM Post #10 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by ericp10 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I have the Etymotic HF5. From what I have read on this forum, the sound is very close to the ER-4P with a little extra bass boost. I own a pair and love them, but they are quite critical IEMs. They will pick up ever nuance. I'm a lover of bass, but I find the bass response on these enjoyable even without using the equalizer. Like neel said, it won't be earthshaking bass. Now, with that said, the HF5s are my second favorite (btw: I have nothing but ipods players).

I've heard the Etymotic HF5--while they are really good sounding IEM's, the standard dual-flange eartip that comes with them are quite tricky to insert into your ear unless you have some practice. You may have to use the well-regarded Comply Foam T-100/Tx-100 ear tips to get a decent fit (it was with the T-500 eartip that I finally got a decent fit for my Ultimate Ears Super.fi 3 studio).

Dec 28, 2009 at 5:06 AM Post #11 of 17
I don't think you can run the ER-4S off of your iPod alone; at least while getting good sound out of it; from what I heard you are going to need an amp :/

But look around and see what all the hype is about the top IEMs on the market today. I would look at the IE7 and 8 if you want the bass emphasis and the ER-4P if you want detail and clarity.

Dec 28, 2009 at 4:02 PM Post #13 of 17
The Atrios are on sale right now at OWC for $99, it's a steal. Grab them! Now!! There are like 15 pairs left. Downside, they are blue, and they are v1 which go behind your ears. I still have loved mine since the month they came out.

Dec 28, 2009 at 5:11 PM Post #14 of 17
Haven't heard the ER4, but most of the triple-driver offerings sound great--each in their own way--unamped. I have the SE530 and the TF10, and I find that amping hurts the sound sometimes, making the phones a bit too revealing.

P.S.: I hope you're Rockboxing it.

Dec 28, 2009 at 7:54 PM Post #15 of 17
Quote:

P.S.: I hope you're Rockboxing it.

I thought about it, but is it really worth it? I converted all of my FLAC to Apple Lossless and already moved it all onto my iPod, so would there be any real advantages to loading rockbox?

EDIT: Just found out Rockbox doesn't support the 6th gen iPod, so I guess I won't be installing it anyway, but once they come out with a new port for it, I'm sure my curiosity will force me to try it out.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back