Just Got a Used Ipod Video 30GB - What now?
Dec 14, 2009 at 10:02 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 31

dj_mocok

Headphoneus Supremus
Yep. I don't know how to use it. Never used iPod before. What I like about my other MP3 players is I can just drag and drop stuff to my player. But when I connect this iPod to PC it says : "do not disconnect" and that's it. What should I do?

Can I use this thing without iTunes? I don't want iTunes.
I'm actually thinking to resell it too. How do I check if it's working without installing this and that? Thanks guys.

Dec 14, 2009 at 10:31 AM Post #3 of 31
RockBox
wink.gif

Dec 14, 2009 at 10:47 AM Post #4 of 31
I actually traded in my iPod Nano for a used iPod Video 30 GB just for Rockbox. I haven't regretted it.
smily_headphones1.gif

Put Rockbox (www.rockbox.org) on it. It's dead simple (just get the installer from their site) and you still have the option to boot into the normal Apple firmware if you feel so inclined. With Rockbox, you can do drag & drop with your music and all sorts of cool stuff that you'd think be impossible on an iPod. Like DOOM!

Dec 14, 2009 at 10:54 AM Post #5 of 31
Hold onto it, it's got a Wolfson DAC. You could use a LOD and build a nice portable rig around it.

Dec 14, 2009 at 11:22 AM Post #6 of 31
Okay, not sure I quite understand what you guys were talking about. So basically I just received this iPod and when I turned it on, nothing on playlist, video, etc... The person might have just done a factory reset or something before sending it to me.

I only got the Ipod video, and a USB data cable, that's all. I don't have any software CD or itunes installed in my PC.

So what I need to do is just to get Rockbox? And then when I plug the Ipod into PC, I can just drag and drop? Will this permanently changed the ipod itself? (in case if I decide I wanna sell the ipod)

I don't need fancy stuff like sync, etc etc.. All I want is just to listen to music or maybe watch video once in awhile, so something very idiot-friendly is good for me. (eg. I just need to install program and then I can just drag and drop, that's about it).

So it's Rockbox for this? Or Winamp?

This is the ipod model if it's any help:
MA146X, ver. 1.3
model number A1136

Thanks!

Dec 14, 2009 at 12:18 PM Post #7 of 31
Rockbox won't change anything. You'll be able to remove it at will and you can still boot into the default firmware. Rockbox is pretty much idiot-proof (but people always come up with a better idiot) but people used to the normal firmware may have difficulty adjusting to it. Yes, Rockbox is drag and drop, no special software required. However, video playback is sluggish compared to the default firmware because the RB devs still can't use the dedicated video decoding chip in the iPod.

In short, go get Rockbox and throw out the iBuds.

Dec 14, 2009 at 1:14 PM Post #8 of 31
Ibud was not included. I think the guy was considerate enough not to include it because of hygienic purpose.
So I just download the Rockbox installer (3.4) and let it auto install everything?

Dec 14, 2009 at 1:21 PM Post #9 of 31
Yes.
biggrin.gif

Dec 14, 2009 at 9:25 PM Post #12 of 31
Quote:

Originally Posted by Aslan123 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Also, swap out the HDD for a 240gb drive.
wink.gif

Holy cr@p! Do you have any guides for that?
How 'bout upgradin the battery?

Dec 14, 2009 at 9:47 PM Post #13 of 31
Quote:

Originally Posted by FallenAngel /img/forum/go_quote.gif
RockBox
wink.gif

Quote:

Originally Posted by Speex /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I actually traded in my iPod Nano for a used iPod Video 30 GB just for Rockbox. I haven't regretted it.
smily_headphones1.gif

Put Rockbox (www.rockbox.org) on it. It's dead simple (just get the installer from their site) and you still have the option to boot into the normal Apple firmware if you feel so inclined. With Rockbox, you can do drag & drop with your music and all sorts of cool stuff that you'd think be impossible on an iPod. Like DOOM!

Quote:

Originally Posted by Speex /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Rockbox won't change anything. You'll be able to remove it at will and you can still boot into the default firmware. Rockbox is pretty much idiot-proof (but people always come up with a better idiot) but people used to the normal firmware may have difficulty adjusting to it. Yes, Rockbox is drag and drop, no special software required. However, video playback is sluggish compared to the default firmware because the RB devs still can't use the dedicated video decoding chip in the iPod.

In short, go get Rockbox and throw out the iBuds.

Rockbox...definitely. The developers have made it super easy to install and use compared to when it first came out.

Dec 14, 2009 at 10:56 PM Post #14 of 31
Quote:

Originally Posted by ca95f /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Holy cr@p! Do you have any guides for that?
How 'bout upgradin the battery?

Here are two guides I found.

http://www.powerbookmedic.com/free-i...ideomanual.pdf
Rapid Repair - iPod Video Repair Guide by RapidRepair

It doesn't look too difficult, although you have to be careful.

Here is the link to the 240gb Drive. I wouldn't be surprised if you could find it cheaper that this however.

240GB Hard Drive for iPod Video (MK2431GAH): RapidRepair

I'm not sure about any battery upgrades since I never looked into those, but there probably are those as well.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back