just got a copyright infringement violation from verizon
Jun 13, 2009 at 8:03 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 34

lutwey

1000+ Head-Fier
like what the title says. idk what to do. i left peerguardian disabled for awhile. am i in trouble?
frown.gif

Jun 13, 2009 at 10:17 AM Post #4 of 34
Perhaps!
Depending if you have performed an activity which break someone's copyright.

Jun 13, 2009 at 10:32 AM Post #5 of 34
f verizon in the a. What a worthless pursuit. Do they not have enough money? Will they be needing a bailout perhaps?

Jun 13, 2009 at 11:00 AM Post #7 of 34
Quote:

Originally Posted by saintalfonzo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
f verizon in the a. What a worthless pursuit. Do they not have enough money? Will they be needing a bailout perhaps?

Verizon gets no money from something like this. They received a copyright infringement notice from a content owner and then they are legally obligated (via DMCA) to act on it and pass the notification onto the individual associated with the account (matching the IP address, timestamp and traffic noted in the complaint).

Jun 13, 2009 at 12:17 PM Post #11 of 34
well, what does the notice SAY they want you to do?

note, its what they WANT you to do. which is not always what you are *required* to do.

keep in mind that a lot of this is scare tactics. and usually the ISP doesn't care at all, they're just 'required' to act like they care. as I understand it, you reply back (if you even choose to) and tell them the problem has been taken care of. I think that's the gist of what goes on. if they are convinced the problem went away, I think that is usually the end of it.

but we can't know if you don't tell us what the 'scary letter' says, exactly.

Jun 13, 2009 at 12:18 PM Post #12 of 34
There's nothing to do, it's just a notice. You could, however, do any of: Stop downloading, re-enable Peer Guardian, and/or stop downloading popular stuff from public torrent sites.

Jun 13, 2009 at 12:19 PM Post #13 of 34
and I wonder if it was really you they 'caught' or someone who got in thru your wireless router.

since, its likely that you are not running a secure configuration and *someone* probably came in that way. right? I would think you have a wireless router around. everyone does. yeah?
wink.gif

an ip address is NOT a person. that's the primary defense I would take (IANAL, though).

Jun 13, 2009 at 12:30 PM Post #14 of 34
I got one from comcast over a year ago, nothing happened.

Jun 13, 2009 at 12:53 PM Post #15 of 34
Quote:

Originally Posted by linuxworks /img/forum/go_quote.gif
and I wonder if it was really you they 'caught' or someone who got in thru your wireless router.

since, its likely that you are not running a secure configuration and *someone* probably came in that way. right? I would think you have a wireless router around. everyone does. yeah?
wink.gif

an ip address is NOT a person. that's the primary defense I would take (IANAL, though).

Unfortunately Judicial logic is different from state to state and Judges dont like to contradict one another even if it means doing the wrong thing.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back