Just found a Dual 701 turntable
Oct 6, 2001 at 4:08 PM Post #16 of 17
Serow,

Congratulations on the fun you're going to have with this. I've had a couple of Duals over the years (and sometimes wish I still had one). The Dual arm used to be better than any mass-marketed arm had a right to be
smily_headphones1.gif

Some things you'll need to keep your vinyl in good shape:

1) A record cleaner. I still like the Discwasher for light cleaning. For heavier grit, the Allsop Orbitrac 2 does a good job. Some people like carbon fiber brushes, but I've never had any luck with them (and I tried many).

2) A stylus cleaner. Most cartridges come with a soft brush you can clean the stylus with (use dry, and always brush back to front. A front to back pressure can trash the stylus). A small camel hair paint brush would work as well. For tougher grit, I once again like the Discwasher stylus cleaner. This uses a harder brush, so it's easier to do damage (in theory, anway. I haven't trashed a stylus myself yet, but I've only been playing records since the 60's, so there's still time
wink.gif
)

Vinyl is a high maintenance medium compared to CD, and there's a lot more you'll be interested in if you go further with it. However, IMO those are the cleaning essentials you should have at the start.

Oct 6, 2001 at 4:32 PM Post #17 of 17
Thanks for the info Hirsch. The table came with a Fiber Science carbon fibre brush, so that's what I have been using so far. I know I should really get a disc washer, but right now I'm not playing vinyl that is valuable or rare, and I just don't have the money.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back