Just found $300, Want to upgrade my headphone cable. Advice needed...
Feb 9, 2007 at 12:29 AM Post #46 of 61
Quote:

Originally Posted by sofronitsky /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I really wanted to know if anyone could explain the differences btwn the blue, silver and black dragon cables from moon audio in terms of performance and compatibility, not just materials.

You might want to email or call Drew at Moon Audio. It doesn't appear anybody is really interested in responding to what your actual question was. That happens sometimes on this forum. People get easily diverted into expressing opinions on everything but the what the OP is really interested in.
wink.gif

Feb 9, 2007 at 12:31 AM Post #47 of 61
Quote:

Originally Posted by Etrips /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Also big difference from ratshack cable and stock cables... So how can you say otherwise?

Because there's no reason or evidence to suggest that such differences are audible.

Quote:

Also isn't this a matter of ones opinion?

No, it's a matter of such minuet differences in cables not being audible to the human ear. Just because you think you heard a difference doesn't mean a difference really exists.

Cables are a waste of money. I'm just trying to help save the guy $300.

Feb 9, 2007 at 12:51 AM Post #49 of 61
What is your source? As in, what soundcard?

I'm not going to get into the whole cable debate, but the pro-cable crowd also admits that it's the last thing you should worry about. I'd get a nice DAC/soundcard if I were you. Also, most people never recable Audio-technicas... the stock cable seems good enough, you won't find many reports of how AT sound changes (if it does at all) because almost no one tried it.
wink.gif

Feb 9, 2007 at 12:55 AM Post #50 of 61
Quote:

Originally Posted by Emon /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Because there's no reason or evidence to suggest that such differences are audible.

Actually crappy soldering may add noise. I'm not surprised ratshack cables may actually sound worse. Who knows, maybe stock senn cables are just as crappy? So much for "ze German engineering"
biggrin.gif

Feb 9, 2007 at 1:06 AM Post #51 of 61
Quote:

No, it's a matter of such minuet differences in cables not being audible to the human ear. Just because you think you heard a difference doesn't mean a difference really exists.

Have you actually bothered trying? Because I have, and let me tell you that listening to ratshacks cables is horrible, couldnt stand listening to them for more than 10min.

Feb 9, 2007 at 1:12 AM Post #52 of 61
Quote:

There's plenty of reason and evidence with respect to headphone cables.
Quote:

That's real nice of you, but he didn't ask for this type of paternalistic intervention.

Feb 9, 2007 at 1:31 AM Post #53 of 61
Quote:

Have you actually bothered trying? Because I have, and let me tell you that listening to ratshacks cables is horrible, couldnt stand listening to them for more than 10min.

I've used a RatShack extension cable on Grado 325s, Akg 501, Grado 60s and various others and I heard no ill effects from it. I tried it straight from the amp and then the extension cable from RatShack, no difference.

Feb 9, 2007 at 1:51 AM Post #54 of 61
@ the OP,

Just talk to Drew about this
tongue.gif

Quote:

Originally Posted by Wid /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I've used a RatShack extension cable on Grado 325s, Akg 501, Grado 60s and various others and I heard no ill effects from it. I tried it straight from the amp and then the extension cable from RatShack, no difference.

Like I said, to each their own. I couldn't stand listening to my own headphones which I use every single day for 5+ hours. At the time I wanted to spend as little as I could, $5 for a ratshack cable or $100 to have someone recable them for me? Too bad the ratshack cable made my ears bleed or I would have picked them instead of spending the $100. But now, I have no regrets.

Also since when were we talking about extension cables?

Feb 9, 2007 at 2:50 AM Post #55 of 61
Quote:

Originally Posted by Wid /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Well, others' findings may be different, but at least you're reporting your personal experiences with something (albeit an extension as opposed to a headphone cable). Too often, we get categorical judgments from people who have no experience with the the item in question, which personally I think is not very useful.
wink.gif

Feb 21, 2007 at 5:48 PM Post #56 of 61
I don't think cable upgrades or recabling is a waste of money. I have found sonic improvements (noticeable although not significant) with my Oehlbach and Blue Dragon. And I have read/heard enough impressions of people who have actually spent a good deal of time listening to headphones with and without better cables. Those opinions are important; not those who just say it is a waste of money yet have never really heard the two side by side. To me if you have a decent source and amp (at least one that you are happy with, for I agree this would be a better use of funds) then it makes perfect sense to invest money to make your current gear better instead of buying something else, like a new headphone.

my .02 cents.
icon10.gif

Feb 21, 2007 at 5:50 PM Post #57 of 61
Quote:

Originally Posted by ILikeMusic /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Gawd, don't waste the money on a cable... just imagine that you bought one, the end result will sound the same!

Hahahahaha. Sometimes I think I'm paranoid about stuff too.
280smile.gif

Feb 21, 2007 at 8:24 PM Post #58 of 61
Quote:

Originally Posted by sofronitsky /img/forum/go_quote.gif
While going through a messy drawer I stumbled upon a wad of cash that I thought I had lost a while ago...$300
biggrin.gif
. As I have no overdue bills or outstanding debts, and am happy with my current source/ amp I thought I'd upgrade the cable on my headphones. I just got a pair of ATH-AD2000s and am very pleased. I don't know much about cable upgrades, but after doing some searches here I've learned that moon audio's dragon series would be the best way to go. Can any one explain the differences between the three types of cables, the info on moon-audio didn't explain it well enough for me. Also does the legnth of the cable have any effect on sound quality? Thanks in advance
biggrin.gif

Better cables help with headphones IMO.. But not enough to warrant 300.00!! Unless you get them balanced.. I know Alex sells excellent cables for around 200.00 6FT.. I bought my Cardas cables.. The hype around them were nuts.. I do like them better then the stock cables, but are not worth 150.00 IMO.. Now they sell for 180.00 for 10FT..

Users who are viewing this thread

Back