Just compared Senn HD650 with Grado SR225 - Need recommendations
Oct 24, 2008 at 2:31 PM Post #16 of 25
Quote:

Originally Posted by Nylus /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Kent. Why do you ask?

I have some RS-1's and if you were local ...........

Oct 27, 2008 at 4:41 AM Post #19 of 25
If you are looking for a can with as much speed AND more bass than the Grados you are asking for the impossible. There's a good reason why many people consider the Grados to be the best cans for metal. The only cans that can match the Grados in speed have even less bass.

If you want bass, the Denons are probably the best option, they have a reasonable amount of speed in them. But be warned that they are on the dark side. If I were you I'll stick to the SR225, cause the Grados do have a decent amount of bass in them and you'll probably get used to it.

Oct 27, 2008 at 5:47 AM Post #20 of 25
Ultrasones are as fast as Grados and have plenty more bass...so?
Stax are all faster across the board than both, and have more bass than Grados.

Oct 27, 2008 at 8:28 AM Post #21 of 25
Try the goldring DR150. They run you 70 quid and give you an experience like the SR-225, only more bass and a better soundstage, in my opinion. This is based on very distant memories of the SR-225, if you can audition them, they could be a very cheap middle of the road sollution.

That, and the headphone terminates in a minijack itself, so if your cable ever goes dead, stick in a new 1/8->1/8 M/M cable and you're in business. Durable as hell, more comfortable than the Grados.

Oct 27, 2008 at 1:47 PM Post #22 of 25
Quote:

Originally Posted by MaloS /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Ultrasones are as fast as Grados and have plenty more bass...so?
Stax are all faster across the board than both, and have more bass than Grados.

The ultrasones are too laid back and are not suitable for metal. And no, they are not as fast as the Grados. And the Staxs are in a different price range.

Oct 27, 2008 at 5:07 PM Post #24 of 25
Quote:

Originally Posted by scytheavatar /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The ultrasones are too laid back and are not suitable for metal. And no, they are not as fast as the Grados. And the Staxs are in a different price range.

Pro 2500 and Pro 750 are anything but laid back, most definitely as fast as Grados - unless to you fast means strength in the upper midrange and midbass.

Stax in my sig will run about the same as SR-225 + portable amp, or cheaper than HD650 and just about any amp (save DIYing Millet Starving Student), meaning this is the right price range.

Oct 27, 2008 at 7:58 PM Post #25 of 25
I haven't heard all those things but the DT880s I have may be interesting for you. It has soundstage, is comfy and are pretty neutral. Though they're neutral, there pretty bright which is like Grado. It's a completely different bright though. More as in clear. It has not near the attack the Grados have.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back