Just compared Senn HD650 with Grado SR225 - Need recommendations
Oct 22, 2008 at 8:56 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 25

Nylus

Head-Fier
Hi there, i'm looking for some recommendations for some new headphones.

I just got back from comparing the Grado SR225 with my Senn HD650s.

The CDs i used were both some form of metal as this is the music i mostly listen to.
I used...

Nile - Ithyphallic
Tool - Lateralus

The system i compared them on was...

Source - Arcam CD37
Amp - Arcam A38

The 650s were very noticibly less aggressive. They were definatleey more neutral sounding. They didn't have the same attack that the Grados did during the heavy passages. However the sound stage was a lot better on them, they sounded so much more open and less compressed like the 225s. The bass was also better i found.

The 225s had a lot more treble, but less bass. Really good crisp sounding cymbals and snare i found on them. A lot more attack which was good. But the bass was lacking and the soundstage was quite bad i found. Very compressed sound i thought.

It was really hard to pick a favourite, because i liked things and disliked things about both cans.

I prefered the SR225 because...
The cymbals sounded better - more metallic and crispy.
The guitar and snare sounded better - more attack

I prefered the HD650 because...
Bass was more prominent
Soundstage was a lot better - sounded much less compressed/compact
Felt compfier

However, both seemed to be lacking in the bass for my tastes. The Senns had more bass, but i still found it short of my liking, especially the bass drum.

If i had to choose i would say the SR225s for the heavier passages and the Senns for the quieter passages (Parabol).

Both headphones sounded very good, but neither was the sound i was looking for. I'm looking for any recommendations based on my tastes.

I'm really looking for a headphone with the fast crisp attack and aggressivness of the SR225, with the openess and soundstage of the HD650 but also with more a lot more bass and punch than either headphone had to offer.

Can anyone recommend me some headphones that match that description or does such a pair not exist?

So far im considering the following, but obviously wouldn't mind adding anything to the list so if anyone has any further recommendations, please say so.
smily_headphones1.gif

Ultrasone PROline750
Beyerdynamic DT880
Beyerdynamic DT990
Denon AHD2000

Again would really appreciate recommendations. Thanks.

*I'm using computer as source and for the time being my amp and dac will be Pico with DAC.
*Budget for headphones is about £250. So no more than the 325i's.

Oct 22, 2008 at 9:09 PM Post #2 of 25
You can scratch the AKG701 off your list. It has noticably less bass (quantity wise) than the 650 (I used to own both at the same time). I also use to own the SR225 and agree that is has more attack than the 650. Never really heard the others on your list.

You may want to try upper end Grados (eg RS-1, GS-1000) since they have more bass and bigger soundstage than the SR225 (GS1000 more so).

Oct 22, 2008 at 9:29 PM Post #5 of 25
Sorry i'll change the first post.

I'm using computer as source and for the time being my amp and dac will be Pico with DAC.

Budget for headphones is about £250. So no more than the 325i's.

Oct 22, 2008 at 9:30 PM Post #6 of 25
Out of the three you are looking at, the denon ahd2000 seems to fit your description pretty well. It is supposed to have good treble emphasis and plenty of bass impact but of course try listening if you can. The dt880 is crisp, detailed, balanced, and the bass has good extension but not much impact. Otoh the dt990 might work for you.

Oct 22, 2008 at 9:36 PM Post #7 of 25
good to see another tool fan.

I would try to hear the allessandro MS-2's, If possible. I have heard the HD-650s, and own 225s and the MS-2, and the ms-2 is the happy medium, i've found, that you are hoping for.

I should mention though, that I do not own the 650's so I wasn't able to do a fair comparison, since I used different sources. Therefore I would not just go out and buy the MS-2 based on my account, but see if you can get something like a 30-day money back sale or borrow them from someone, just so you can hear them first. But it seems our music tastes are similar, so that helps I guess.

Oct 22, 2008 at 9:39 PM Post #8 of 25
You may also want to consider the HIFI-780 in that price range with many of the attributes you mentioned.

Oct 22, 2008 at 10:29 PM Post #10 of 25
how about letting them break in a couple hundred more hours b4 jettisoning the whole kit and kaboodle

Oct 23, 2008 at 2:23 AM Post #12 of 25
I started with the SR225 and love the sound. However when I got my HD580 the world open up and I really enjoy the new found space in the music

Now I have bought the GS-1000, so I have the Grado sound quality and but with a large sound stage.
smily_headphones1.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back