Just Can't Find the Right Headphones for Me
Nov 25, 2017 at 8:08 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 22

domino584

100+ Head-Fier
Hey:

I've had so many headphones over the years and just can't find the right ones. One of my all-time favorites with the Etymotic ER4S. I absolutely loved the accuracy, but they were too "cold" for my tastes. The bass response was weak, the sound stage was too narrow, and the comfort was absolutely horrific. I always wanted something that built upon these, was a lot more comfortable, but didn't break the bank (I'm "still" a university student).

I'm looking into Chi-Fi but, unfortunately, there are far too little reviews on more of the higher-end pairs (and lacks good comparisons too). I picked up a pair of the KZ ZS5 and was VERY impressed, but, again, they're far too uncomfortable for me, too cold as well. I want to upgrade but I have zero clue on what would be a good pair for me. I've been looking at a lot of Chi-Fi pairs on AliExpress. Does anyone have any idea on what would be a good IEM for me? I'd like to keep my budget below 200 CAD.

Others that I've tried over the years:
- Pinnacle P1
- ER4S
- Some Noble pair, can't remember (port snapped off)
- KZ ZS5
- Shure SE435
- Sony XBA 40

Over head:
- Senns HD555
- Senns HD6XX (I like these for over the head; I still own these and use them on my desktop)
- AKG 550
- AKG Q701
- AKG 240II

Last edited:
Nov 26, 2017 at 8:07 PM Post #4 of 22
Go google and type in blitzwolf bw-es1 modded. When properly modded this thing that cost about $15 each beats about anything under $500 out there.

Never heard of these. I'll take a look! Thanks for the suggestion.

What about those multi-BA ones they have on Aliexpress? They any good?

Last edited:
Nov 27, 2017 at 1:52 PM Post #7 of 22
Sorry never tried ER4S, but at $100, gr07s are one of the best if not the best.

I wanted these in-ears in the past and use to recommend them a lot among friends but could never find them within Canada at a fair price. It looks like Aliexpress has them (but I have zero experience with them; nor have friends that have tried them before. I read a lot of mixed reviews of their service).

I think I'll give them a shot. They aren't as accurate as the ER4S, but they come close while yielding significantly more sound stage, and comfort. I'll get the bass edition. But now I wonder how hey compare to something like the EE846 (but I read I'm not allowed to talk about **** products on Head-Fi anymore)? The reviews I find don't seem to give any direct comparisons outside of something like the 1More Dual, which I know aren't that great to begin with. I know the Triples are decent, I recommended those to a friend, but I believe the VSonic GR07s are even better for detail?

I'm tempted to give modding a shot, but I see people are blowing their drivers with the increase in pressure on those Blitzwolfs.

Nov 27, 2017 at 2:40 PM Post #8 of 22
I prefer established companies like vsonic, ibasso, brainwavz etc. And very sceptical about chi-fi brands from aliexpress, people claims better then much more expensive stuff. But its just me, and i dont have many experience.

Nov 27, 2017 at 5:44 PM Post #9 of 22
The Fiio F9, Magaosi K3, or BGVP DM5 are all worth auditioning in the sub $100 space.

Nov 27, 2017 at 9:52 PM Post #11 of 22
The Fiio F9, Magaosi K3, or BGVP DM5 are all worth auditioning in the sub $100 space.

I read some reviews of the F9 but something doesn't quite fit with me for those. The K3s sound nice, but as opposed to the GR07, it doesn't quite sit right with me. I prefer more accurate sound than a more "idealized" one as THL puts it. Thanks for these suggestions!

new iBasso IT01 seems to be a strong <$100 contender

Waiting to see if there are any comparisons to the GR07. Thanks for this suggestion! It's sounding quite nice. I read from a lot of people, though, that the GR07 was so good, they didn't feel the need to upgrade until they could reach their "end game" with customs. I like what I've been reading so far. I might just stick to the GR07s-bass.

Thanks again, guys. I've been trying to wrap my head around something for me and I think I might have found them. Going to order soon hopefully (or around Christmas as the sale will be over by then).

Nov 28, 2017 at 6:21 AM Post #14 of 22
I read some reviews of the F9 but something doesn't quite fit with me for those. The K3s sound nice, but as opposed to the GR07, it doesn't quite sit right with me. I prefer more accurate sound than a more "idealized" one as THL puts it. Thanks for these suggestions.

Reading reviews should not be the sole factor in your decision. As I mentioned, the listed in ears are all worth auditioning so you gain first hand experience. not many people would buy a car based on what road and track said about it without so much as sitting down in the drivers seat first. Why would you buy any audio product without hearing it first?

Nov 28, 2017 at 6:41 AM Post #15 of 22
Reading reviews should not be the sole factor in your decision. As I mentioned, the listed in ears are all worth auditioning so you gain first hand experience. not many people would buy a car based on what road and track said about it without so much as sitting down in the drivers seat first. Why would you buy any audio product without hearing it first?

Unfortunately, the truth of the matter is that not everyone has the luxury to try before they buy. Whilst the internet has made it incredibly easy for us to order things from other countries, if they're not available locally, many people rely on reviews for when a product isn't available in their local market.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back