Just bought Grado SR60i, RE2 &FiioE5, KossKSC75
May 7, 2009 at 5:54 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

Orange1

100+ Head-Fier
I want to thank this forum as I paid a total of 127 for all 3 of these headphones, new, and burned them in as I learned makes them even better.

I listen on a Zen Vision M mp3 player.

I listen to jazz, rock, some classical, world music, spoken word, oldtime songsters Ella, Bennet--lots of stuff.

My question is this, can you all point me somewhere to learn about what speakers/cd/dvd/player/amp that is a whole LOT of quality sound for the money, just as these 3 headphones are a whole LOT of sound, for a little money?

I need something for a bedroom setup.

Anyone know where I can learn about speakers and such like I learned about headphones here?

Oh, and if I should really buy just 1 more headphone, which one would round out my collection?

Thank you.
beyersmile.png

May 7, 2009 at 6:13 PM Post #2 of 11
You dont have a closed phone. Maybe an M-Audio Q40?

Also a mellow phone for your classical.....maybe a Sennheiser?

May 8, 2009 at 12:35 AM Post #3 of 11
Thanks, I just spent some time reading about those. Didn't look into them before. I don't think I'd like closed, but you are right, closed would round it out.

Any thoughts, websites to use to learn about putting together a decent budget stereo system?

Now that I am REALLY hearing music, (with my sr60i and RE2) my stereo sounds so dull and lifeless.

Thanks

May 8, 2009 at 12:43 AM Post #4 of 11
Thing is that while I vastly prefer speakers, you have to drop some serious dough to get into hi-fi territory. You can't even put together a decent system without at least $700 to drop.

May 8, 2009 at 6:05 AM Post #5 of 11
If you have a reciever or amp already you could spring for some Behringer B2031Ps

They are very clean sounding and can retain detail to fairly load levels. I can't compare the sound to Grados but they have crisp highs and great vocals. They do play nice with EQing too, so if you don't like the flat responce you can change it with nary a problem in the highs or lows.

I'd say these are the best gateway "quality" speakers you could purchase without spending too much.

Behringer | B2031P - 2-Way Passive Studio Monitors - | B2031P

about $170 us

May 8, 2009 at 1:12 PM Post #6 of 11
I have an Onkyo receiver. I never heard of those, or know that I could go anywhere to hear them. How did you find out about them? And helpful website on speakers?
170 is for sure doable. I guess for headphones as well as speakers I care most about a singers voice than anything else.

Thanks

May 8, 2009 at 1:17 PM Post #7 of 11
ps, as far as the little E5 amplifier, I don't know that I like it enough to have an extra "thing" with my mp3. I don't know that it really makes an improvement with the headphones. And I'm fighting with the KSC75. The left one keeps falling off my ear, whether from hair or an eyeglass adjustment. I think I made a mistake with those and should have got the Porta Pro's.

May 8, 2009 at 1:48 PM Post #8 of 11
Quote:

Originally Posted by Orange1 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
ps, as far as the little E5 amplifier, I don't know that I like it enough to have an extra "thing" with my mp3. I don't know that it really makes an improvement with the headphones. And I'm fighting with the KSC75. The left one keeps falling off my ear, whether from hair or an eyeglass adjustment. I think I made a mistake with those and should have got the Porta Pro's.

The trick with those is to grab the tip of your ear and pull it through until the ear holder piece is touching where your ear connects to your head.. Kind of hard to explain I guess, but I've run with them and never had them come anywhere near falling off. Of all my headphones, I'd say they actually are the least likely to come off my head.

May 8, 2009 at 3:01 PM Post #9 of 11
May 8, 2009 at 4:44 PM Post #10 of 11
Reviews are hard to find on these but I found one thread:

Behringer B2031P [Archive] - Audioholics Home Theater Forums

The people in that make a good point that they aren't terribly bass-heavy and you should consider a subwoofer, but I have found that they play nice with EQ and if you reduce everything above ~125hz by 6db you can still retain a controlled sound with no real loss of any details and have more bass presence

And just incase you are wondering, I am running a pair right now and they sound better than all of the other cheapish "quality" speakers I have heard (some Sony towers, a small pair of Klipsch bookshelves, several bookshelf speakers)

May 8, 2009 at 7:07 PM Post #11 of 11
Thanks.

I've been reading lots of good about Infinity Primus P162. I posted earlier, but it had a link so maybe that I'm new it isn't allowed.

Any bookshelf speakers that are sort of Grado-ish would be nice : ) I didn't understand most of the audio lingo in that link for Behringer, think you can describe them for a newbie?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back