Just bought a SNES
Sep 6, 2012 at 11:30 PM Post #16 of 45
Quote:
On a different note, does anyone know of a S-Video to HDMI upscaler that preserves the 4:3 aspect ration? I have to buy a new TV as my old one is starting to die :frowning2: All the modern ones I've looked at lack S-Video. My NAD T-747 has S-Video input, but the upscaler stretched the image to 16:9.

If you're going that far, why use S-Video when you could use RGB SCART? You get as pure of a signal as you can get that way.

Last time I checked over at the Shmups Forum, I caught wind of another Micomsoft device-a "Frame Meister G2" HDMI upscaler designed to take all sorts of analog signals, including 240p RGB from retro consoles in traditional Micomsoft fashion. They'd probably have the sense to include a letterboxing function, given the kinds of people who go to great lengths to run RGB out of old consoles like that anyway.

The problem is finding them for sale outside of Japan for a reasonable price, if their XRGB upscalers (meant for VGA output) are anything to go by.

Sep 10, 2012 at 1:13 PM Post #19 of 45
Smoker or not the yellowing is going to happen with the SNES sadly.  Did you get caught up in the different SNES versions with differing video/audio quality (1chip etc)?  I'm with the camp that believes S-video out of the SNES is probably the most cost effective in terms of PQ vs scouring the earth/$$ of RGB (or getting the SNES revision 2 and modding it for RGB).

Great read:
http://www.vintagecomputing.com/index.php/archives/189

Rabbit hole:
http://www.assemblergames.com/forums/showthread.php?38581-Best-SNES-revision

Sep 10, 2012 at 6:48 PM Post #20 of 45
Hi,

My SNES is capable of RGB from what I understand, but I find S-Video to be just fine. I don't want to pay a lot for someone to mod my SNES, I want to keep it original.

You can restore a yellowed system by using RetroBright. It takes the yellowing right out!

Quote:
Smoker or not the yellowing is going to happen with the SNES sadly.  Did you get caught up in the different SNES versions with differing video/audio quality (1chip etc)?  I'm with the camp that believes S-video out of the SNES is probably the most cost effective in terms of PQ vs scouring the earth/$$ of RGB (or getting the SNES revision 2 and modding it for RGB).

Great read:
http://www.vintagecomputing.com/index.php/archives/189

Rabbit hole:
http://www.assemblergames.com/forums/showthread.php?38581-Best-SNES-revision

Sep 12, 2012 at 1:23 PM Post #22 of 45
*hugs* lucky you man :3 I still have my SNES from when I was a kid, and there's a device called the "game saver" which can let you play Super Famicon Games, and Super Metroid is rather epic on the snes!

BUT :D, the Wii has a homebrew app that let's you play Snes games, you can use a Classic Controller with it as well which makes for a pretty good 2nd best SNES experince ;3.

But yea man Mines still hooked up to my tele! Just don't use it to much any more [seeing as I have a $200 replacement for it -.-] 

Sep 12, 2012 at 2:03 PM Post #24 of 45
Quote:
I agree the old super metroid was much better than the new one on the wii..so was fzero..i liked actraiser aswell it had good music..

You can play the old one On the Wii [emulation], but sadly it's not the same... the Audio is never as good in Emulation as it was coming from the System it self! 

Still though the new one was nice eye candy! 

Sep 13, 2012 at 1:21 AM Post #25 of 45
Yo,

Speaking of  emulation, I've been running the carts on my PC with the Retrode. It lets you plug the carts in via USB and play them in an emulator. You can even save on the cart via the emulator! I picked up a wired XBOX 360 controller jsut to play these game son my PC. As good as the original system's were, I have become spoiled by HD SNES games...

Quote:
You can play the old one On the Wii [emulation], but sadly it's not the same... the Audio is never as good in Emulation as it was coming from the System it self! 

Still though the new one was nice eye candy! 

Sep 14, 2012 at 11:28 AM Post #26 of 45
Am I the only sega guy in this place?
wink.gif

Sep 14, 2012 at 2:21 PM Post #27 of 45
Quote:
Am I the only sega guy in this place?
wink.gif

I was always a "Nintendo first" kind of guy when it came to consoles, but never hated Sega or anything. I've still got a few fond memories of co-op Streets of Rage at friends' houses.

That said, maybe I should give my Sega Saturn a bit more love. Too bad I don't have people around in my neighborhood who would be interested in playing some of its games. (In particular, I want to get a 10-player Saturn Bomberman match going some day.)

Sep 14, 2012 at 2:33 PM Post #28 of 45
The top racing games many moons ago were sega rally saturn mariokart N64 and fzero snes and they haven't been beaten yet. The shenmue games on the dreamcast haven't been beaten aswell..and silent hill one playstation resident evil one playstation. p.s .I just bought myself another xbox360 to play the silent hill games..

Sep 14, 2012 at 3:26 PM Post #29 of 45
Quote:
Yo,

Speaking of  emulation, I've been running the carts on my PC with the Retrode. It lets you plug the carts in via USB and play them in an emulator. You can even save on the cart via the emulator! I picked up a wired XBOX 360 controller jsut to play these game son my PC. As good as the original system's were, I have become spoiled by HD SNES games...

Aww man nice, HD SNES sounds good, but.... I tried SNES with a 1080P tv and well it looked mega blocky xD
Quote:

I was always a "Nintendo first" kind of guy when it came to consoles, but never hated Sega or anything. I've still got a few fond memories of co-op Streets of Rage at friends' houses.

That said, maybe I should give my Sega Saturn a bit more love. Too bad I don't have people around in my neighborhood who would be interested in playing some of its games. (In particular, I want to get a 10-player Saturn Bomberman match going some day.)

I like Seag to <3, my Dream Cast still stis in my room and Shenmu is still one of my FAVORITE Rpgs [it needs a Wii U Remake/Port ;3] and I like the Gensis as well! I am how ever having issues with Emulation on my Wii for Sega products :x

Users who are viewing this thread

Back