Just bought a Schiit Asgard -- is something wrong with it?
Jul 13, 2011 at 12:08 PM Post #16 of 23
Is it possible to hook up my Z-5500s to the DAC as well? If so, would this be of any benefit? Not sure how it would be done, though, the Z-5500s have three plugs -- one for the front speakers, one for the rear speakers, and one for the center/sub. The Control Center thingy (the unit with the volume knob) has connections for these three plugs as well as a coax and optical. Possibly use coax for my Asgard and optical for the speakers? Again, I have no idea how any of this stuff pieces together, so any assistance would be much appreciated.

Another inquiry on the DAC thing. I take it I don't need a DAC with built-in amp for headphones since I already have the Asgard, correct? With my previous example, wouldn't these combos perform slightly worse than a purely dedicated DAC?

Lot of different questions, I apologize, but thanks to everyone so far.

Jul 13, 2011 at 12:45 PM Post #17 of 23
It seems that you are using the  Striker 7.1 audio card. You can connect the new amp using the card front line out which is the third port from the top and should be labeled as FRONT. Then you go to the card software and let it know that you will be using a two speaker setup so that all signals will go to the FRONT line out. You should be able to get a decent signal going to your new amp. If you decided to get a external DAC you will need to change the  SPDIF output mode to PCM not DTS which can confused an external DAC big time. Good luck![size=8pt]OUT  ER 7.[/size][size=8pt]1 [/size]

Jul 13, 2011 at 3:26 PM Post #18 of 23

Quote:
It seems that you are using the  Striker 7.1 audio card. You can connect the new amp using the card front line out which is the third port from the top and should be labeled as FRONT. Then you go to the card software and let it know that you will be using a two speaker setup so that all signals will go to the FRONT line out. You should be able to get a decent signal going to your new amp. If you decided to get a external DAC you will need to change the  SPDIF output mode to PCM not DTS which can confused an external DAC big time. Good luck![size=8pt]OUT  ER 7.[/size][size=8pt]1 [/size]

Thanks for the suggestions. I'll probably end up buying an external DAC just so I don't have to switch out cables every time I want to listen to my speakers/headphones. Now just to find a good DAC, assuming it is the solution to my all my previous questions.

Somewhat related, my music library consists of a lot of VBR MP3s. 192kbps is the lowest I have, with the majority being between that and 300kbps. I will be re-ripping a good chunk of my library to at least 320kbps, but am saving FLAC for only my favourite pieces.

Summary for those new to the thread --

I bought a Schiit Asgard from a user on these forums. I hooked it up to my Zune just to test things out -- I could hear sound, but things did not sound normal and I could hardly hear the vocals no matter how loud I cranked it. My main listening station will be from my computer, which has an HT Omega Striker soundcard in it. I will be using my speakers, Logitech Z-5500s about half of the time and my headphones the other half. I want to avoid switching out cables to do so, so I think an external DAC is the way to go (needs clarification). My soundcard has two digital outs: a coax out and optical out. Assuming this works the way I think it works, I could run the optical out to the DAC and from there to the speakers? Similarly, run a cable from the coax out on my soundcard to the DAC, then something from the DAC to the my amp for the headphones? (Obviously, the optical and coax can be switched for each device, I'm not sure if one is more advantageous over the other.) Again, clarification for all this would be much appreciated (will it work, is there any benefit from running my speakers through the DAC if it does, what cables will I need, etc...) and any extra help would not be discouraged. 

Thanks!

Jul 14, 2011 at 9:55 AM Post #19 of 23
UPDATE -- I still haven't had the chance to try the FRONT line out on my sound card, but I will definitely get to it tonight. With any luck, that will prove that my amp is working fine (has no issues with vocals/sound) and we can tackle my other problems from there. Until then, feel free to keep the suggestions on anything coming.

Jul 14, 2011 at 11:23 PM Post #20 of 23
Alright, I ran the amp through my soundcards FRONT line-out and directed it to use only two speakers, as suggested, and I got no response from the amp. No go there. I will, however, be going to a LAN party tomorrow, so I'll have plenty of computers to try there, hopefully something will come to light. In the meantime, bumping this thread back to the top for more suggestions and advice.

Jul 15, 2011 at 9:54 AM Post #21 of 23
I did get the chance to use my sister's laptop and ran things through her headphone out. The vocals and everything came through fine there (although things sounded weird still, I'm chalking that up to my headphones being lower end -- combined with the amp things just sound different). Judging from that, I'm guessing my amp is fine, I'll have a more definitive answer later tonight while I'm at the LAN party.

Jul 15, 2011 at 11:43 PM Post #22 of 23
Alright, last bump then this thread can die. I'm at the LAN party and, not sure why, but I plugged my amp into my FRONT out again just to try it again and it is working perfectly. Things sound great, as I was expecting, so now to actually buy the Sennheiser HD598s and venture into DAC territory. Thanks for the help everyone.

Jul 16, 2011 at 2:15 AM Post #23 of 23
Great I have another thought. It may be possible to use the digital output of you card into the digital input of your Z-5500 so that Z-5500 could act as a DAC for the speakers and use the card analog outputs to your new amp for the headphones. My ESI JULI@ sound card can do this. You may have to tell your Windows OS under control panel, sound and tell windows which outputs to use. That way you leave everything connected. It might work in your case until at a later time when you want to use a external DAC. That is all I have to say in this thread.

By the way I also ordered the Sennheiser HD598 after tossing around the idea of getting the HD600. Maybe we cross paths again!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back