Just bought a pair of HD650 with the old drivers -- should I be worried?
Dec 11, 2012 at 3:25 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

TimBlanchard

Head-Fier
Hi 

Just bought a pair of HD650 with the old drivers -- should I be worried?

Some people say they have a more veiled sound?

I'll be running them out of a Lyr, so amping shouldn't be too much of a problem.

Cheers

Dec 11, 2012 at 8:49 PM Post #3 of 9
I am a long time user of Grado and was listening to MS2i (325i/MS2i is supposedly brightest) before I got a pair of HD650. It is also the old driver and I never have a single though that it is veil or dark. Of course it doesn't sparkle like Grado but not veil, they are like smooth good beer which I have mentioned elsewhere.

Do you find them veil in the first place? Of course, music is subjective and other than HP, there are other gears and the type of music we listen to.

"Headpones & audio equipment are simply tools to place our unique sense on music.  Concentrate on equipment and you’ll hear technically good music. Concentrate on the music and it will stir the soul."

Dec 11, 2012 at 9:01 PM Post #5 of 9
Quote:
It's a myth, white and black sound the same.

I heard these many time, someone asked this to Sennheiser too (somewhere in this forum) and was told the silk is harder to mass produce so they switch material that's all. Maybe it was Honeymoon effect when something new it always appear better? Anyone today still have 2 to A/B? I think even same headphones/batch will still sound a little different every of them.

Dec 11, 2012 at 9:06 PM Post #6 of 9
Quote:
Nope, both drivers have the veil.

Have you heard any HD-650s made in the last 2 months? Please do it if you ever get a chance. Mine sounds much more balanced than my older pair. I did upgrade to the ODAC, but tested this with the same gear.

Mine seems to sound just like the Inner Fidelity graph. No mid-bass hump on mine. I wondered why it measured so flat..

No veil on this pair, but my HD-600 is a bit more veiled, which makes no sense.

Dec 12, 2012 at 1:56 AM Post #8 of 9
Quote:
Good news :) can you link me to any evidence or is this just personal opinion? 

Since you are listening to it may I ask if it sound veil to you comparing with other headphones you have?

Dec 12, 2012 at 2:18 AM Post #9 of 9
Quote:

Since you are listening to it may I ask if it sound veil to you comparing with other headphones you have?

They're in the post 
smily_headphones1.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back