Just bought a Melos SHA-Gold
Oct 14, 2005 at 8:19 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 13

tuckers

100+ Head-Fier
I finally scratched the itch to get a better home amp. I bought it through an ad here. I remember reading the original reviews of the Melos years ago and thinking how nice it would be to get one.

The general consensus around here seems to be that they are still amoung the best sounding tube units for those who like a tube sound.

So, I wonder if there is any info for mods etc. or if there is anybody who does mods around. Any links?

Also, are there any magic tube combinations people have found out there?

What is the difference sonically for headphone listening between the Melos SHA-Gold and the other Melos models?

Thanks!
600smile.gif

Oct 14, 2005 at 2:59 PM Post #2 of 13
Oct 14, 2005 at 5:11 PM Post #3 of 13
Congrats on the new purchase. I was looking long and hard at that unit, it looks like a beaut and performs like a beast, I'm sure you'll be very happy with it. And as jahn said above, it's a killer preamp too for your stereo system.

But Melos Audio Restoration does work on the units now:

http://www.melosaudiorestoration.com/

Good luck and let us know your impressions before and after upgrades.

Oct 14, 2005 at 7:12 PM Post #4 of 13
Three ways to improve the sound from your Melos:

1. Tube rolling - Check out the volumes posted in the Melos tube rolling thread for all the info you may ever need on that subject.

2. Modifications - You can go crazy upgrading various internal parts. Although carlo is MIA, his Melos mod webpage is still up. You (or someone else) can perform these mods yourself. I don't have the link here at work, but if you want, I can post it later after I get home tonight. Other than that, MARS is a good place to check out, I guess.

3. Power cable - My old modded Maestro responded very well to a VD PC. Made me a believer in power cables. Check out markl's recent comprehensive review on a slew of PC's.

Congrats on the Melos. I still miss mine occasionally.

Oct 14, 2005 at 7:26 PM Post #5 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by jpelg
Three ways to improve the sound from your Melos:

1. Tube rolling - Check out the volumes posted in the Melos tube rolling thread for all the info you may ever need on that subject.

2. Modifications - You can go crazy upgrading various internal parts. Although carlo is MIA, his Melos mod webpage is still up. You (or someone else) can perform these mods yourself. I don't have the link here at work, but if you want, I can post it later after I get home tonight. Other than that, MARS is a good place to check out, I guess.

3. Power cable - My old modded Maestro responded very well to a VD PC. Made me a believer in power cables. Check out markl's recent comprehensive review on a slew of PC's.

Congrats on the Melos. I still miss mine occasionally.

1.Tube Rolling - right now I have a pair of Telefunken ECC88 in there - nice sweet mids but not agressive enough for my tastes. I just scored a pair of russian tubes called 6N1P-EV(or EB, same thing) that are NOT recommended for the Melos unless you improve the power supply.

2.Mods. My improved power supply and other mods all came from MAR to bring it up to Reference level. Someday maybe I'll shell out the bucks for the Maestrobator mods, but for now I haven't even tapped the potential of this beast, so I'll save that for later.

3.Power Cable. I have a Quail cord cooking in there now, and I'm pretty happy with that.

All in all I'm just getting started with this amp - it might take a year or more to delve into it like I did for Pinkie, so I'm really looking forward to it!

Oct 14, 2005 at 7:37 PM Post #6 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jahn
1.Tube Rolling - right now I have a pair of Telefunken ECC88 in there - nice sweet mids but not agressive enough for my tastes. I just scored a pair of russian tubes called 6N1P-EV(or EB, same thing) that are NOT recommended for the Melos unless you improve the power supply.

The Amperex PQ 7308's I had in mine provided a great middle-ground between smoothness & punch. I highly recommend them. Also, the pinch-waist version is even better (albeit even more expensive) if you can find them.

Oct 14, 2005 at 7:46 PM Post #7 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by jpelg
The Amperex PQ 7308's I had in mine provided a great middle-ground between smoothness & punch. I highly recommend them. Also, the pinch-waist version is even better (albeit even more expensive) if you can find them.

Oh I found em alright - on ebay for Over $200 with 5 days still to go, EEK!

Oct 16, 2005 at 8:31 PM Post #8 of 13
It will be nice to hear my senn 650s sounding great and to hear my Sensaphonics at their best.

Oct 16, 2005 at 8:50 PM Post #9 of 13
I have a pair of Amperex Orange Globes I could use, and some Siemens CCas (Old style). These seem to be top choices for rolling.

I agree with the posts about their sound quality. In my Audio Note 3.1 Balanced DAC the Siemens CCa were the most neutral and balanced ones I tried. Great extension in the top and bottom. Could be a bit dry by some standards though.

The Amperex Orange Globes had a beautiful rendering of the midrange, I guess almost creamy. Such a lucid clear picture into the music. My favorite. I'll get to hear them again in the Meols, so I am looking forward to that.

I tried the different Russian tubes, and didn't like any of them in the AN.

Oct 16, 2005 at 8:55 PM Post #10 of 13
I believe Jpelg meant Amperex USN CEP 7308 Hicksville, Long Island, New York, U.S.A. Not that price or availability is any better.

Something along these lines.

1076784718.jpg

I believe Master of the Fuzz had the amp with these tubes also.

Mitch

Oct 16, 2005 at 9:35 PM Post #11 of 13
I am currently using Mullard PCC88 tubes in my Melos nice combination ,smooth treble without losing detail, great midrange,detailed & impactful bottom end.

I am prefering these tubes more then the amperexs.

Oct 17, 2005 at 2:27 AM Post #12 of 13
Oct 17, 2005 at 11:37 PM Post #13 of 13
MUAHAHAHAHAHAH! I literally cackled out loud when my sister finally returned the Darth Beyers and I plugged them into the Melos - BOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOM! The Telefunkens ROCK! and the tubey sweet nature still help smooth out the crazy highs. But it's still out of control.

BASS in your FACE!
basshead.gif

edit- crap sister changed her mind said she needs them to help with fine edit of her movie- yeah right! after dinner, i have to say byebye to the darth beyers again!
confused.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back