Just bought a Clip Plus and...
Oct 16, 2010 at 9:49 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

Infoseeker

Headphoneus Supremus
Got it for jogging.
This device is amazing! I don't hear any whitenoise with any of my headphones on the device. Even on my Triple-Fi no white-noise at full volume.
People were saying how it isn't really a "line-out". Either-way it is a clean enough signal anyways!
Of course it isn't as detailed as my HM-801, but I expected that; most obvious with rock-genre music.

I should probably get some easier to run headphones for jogging though; maybe pk3s.
I was surprised to discover it runs FLAC files out of the box. So no real need to use rockbox on it...

Oct 16, 2010 at 10:08 PM Post #2 of 6
While there's certainly no real need to rockbox it, there a bunch of advantages in doing so; the first and foremost is that it's brain-dead easy to do and reversible (via RockBoxUtility), so you can check it out yourself (if you haven't done that already), the second, is that the sansa firmware has a reportedly low-performing implementation of the FLAC decoder, whilst the rockbox implementation is fast, how fast?, well, it's only the fastest decoder in all of rockbox (> 300% realtime @ low clock in the case of the Clip V2), so you will definitely see an improved battery life.

Oct 16, 2010 at 10:26 PM Post #3 of 6

Quote:
While there's certainly no real need to rockbox it, there a bunch of advantages in doing so; the first and foremost is that it's brain-dead easy to do and reversible (via RockBoxUtility), so you can check it out yourself (if you haven't done that already), the second, is that the sansa firmware has a reportedly low-performing implementation of the FLAC decoder, whilst the rockbox implementation is fast, how fast?, well, it's only the fastest decoder in all of rockbox (> 300% realtime @ low clock in the case of the Clip V2), so you will definitely see an improved battery life.

Quite right.....if the OP wants to use FLAC on it, RB is almost a necessity....it'll probably double the battery life using FLAC. The SanDisk firmware sucks the hell out of the battery trying to decode FLAC.

Oct 16, 2010 at 11:19 PM Post #4 of 6
Battery life is definitely a significant factor! I'll try to get comfortable with rockbox  on it after all.

Oct 17, 2010 at 5:48 AM Post #6 of 6

Quote:
I also have the clip non RB.  For those who converted, how much more play time does it give?

http://www.head-fi.org/forum/thread/479437/sansaclip-rockbox-appreciation-society/465#post_6978935

http://www.head-fi.org/forum/thread/479437/sansaclip-rockbox-appreciation-society/450#post_6977054

I don't use FLAC on mine, but even my LAME mp3 file playtime went from less than 10 hours to 14+. But Rockbox gets much better battery life with ogg vorbis and FLAC than the SanDisk firmware does....I believe both last an hour or more longer than LAME files do.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back