Just bought a Asus Xonar Essense on ebay, Can you give advice on upgrading Op Amps?
Sep 13, 2012 at 10:55 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

jrodefeld

New Head-Fier
Hello everyone,

I just bought an Asus Xonar Essense ST audio card on ebay.  I am looking forward to getting it.  However, I have heard a lot about replacing the Op Amps on these cards and the sound quality improvements that can be gained by doing so.  Unfortunately, I don't have much experience in this sort of thing.  Can you offer some advice?

I mainly listen to R&B, soul, some hip hop, some pop, a variety of other genres.  I tend towards "urban" music.  The music I listen to tends to have plenty of bass.  I prefer tight, accurate bass as opposed to "lots of" bass.  I am very particular about accurate highs and a defined midrange.

I suspect that in seeking advice about what type of Op Amps I might want to buy, I will hear that it really depends on many factors like the speakers, the quality of sound I am looking for and the types of music I listen to.

I understand that.  But if you personally were going to upgrade the Op amps on an Asus Xonar Essense sound card, which ones would you choose?  Which ones would provide the greatest boost in audio quality?  

I know literally nothing about op amps.  Perhaps you could list the top three or five that I could choose from?  What prices are op amps?  Where would I buy them?

Thanks so much for the help.

Sep 13, 2012 at 11:32 AM Post #2 of 4
Quote:
I just bought an Asus Xonar Essense ST audio card on ebay.  I am looking forward to getting it.  However, I have heard a lot about replacing the Op Amps on these cards and the sound quality improvements that can be gained by doing so.  Unfortunately, I don't have much experience in this sort of thing.  Can you offer some advice?
I mainly listen to R&B, soul, some hip hop, some pop, a variety of other genres.  I tend towards "urban" music.  The music I listen to tends to have plenty of bass.  I prefer tight, accurate bass as opposed to "lots of" bass.  I am very particular about accurate highs and a defined midrange.
I suspect that in seeking advice about what type of Op Amps I might want to buy, I will hear that it really depends on many factors like the speakers, the quality of sound I am looking for and the types of music I listen to.
I understand that.  But if you personally were going to upgrade the Op amps on an Asus Xonar Essense sound card, which ones would you choose?  Which ones would provide the greatest boost in audio quality?  
I know literally nothing about op amps.  Perhaps you could list the top three or five that I could choose from?  What prices are op amps?  Where would I buy them?

I use the AD797BRs and the LME49990 have had some nice things said about them.
They both sell for around $15 to $18 each (on eBay) and you need to get 3 pieces, so total around $55-$60.

http://www.head-fi.org/t/421890/the-xonar-essence-stx-q-a-tweaking-impressions-thread
http://www.head-fi.org/t/432749/the-opamp-thread

Sep 14, 2012 at 6:07 AM Post #3 of 4
I just bought some LME49860NA's from Ebay.  I have heard good things about them.  Can anyone give me some more information on how they sound?  What kind of improvement can I expect over stock op amps?  

Should I just run 3 of these or should I use 2 for the I/V slots and a different one for the buffer?  If I should get something else for the buffer, what would be a good match for the LME49860NA's?

Thanks so much.  I would appreciate a couple more replies from others as I am a little clueless about this subject.

Sep 14, 2012 at 11:08 AM Post #4 of 4
Quote:
I just bought some LME49860NA's from Ebay.  I have heard good things about them.  Can anyone give me some more information on how they sound?  What kind of improvement can I expect over stock op amps?  

Should I just run 3 of these or should I use 2 for the I/V slots and a different one for the buffer?  If I should get something else for the buffer, what would be a good match for the LME49860NA's?

Thanks so much.  I would appreciate a couple more replies from others as I am a little clueless about this subject.

The 4652 op-amp in the buffer slot is the same as the LME49860NA, the LME49860NA is a cherry pick with a better voltage range.
For now just install all three LME49860NA.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back